CTD outside of Riverwood along road

Siruku

Hi all.

Firstly.. my problem: Whenever I walk outside of Riverwood.. whether through the right or left exit the game crashes shortly for seemingly no reason. I "presume" it might have to do with something spawning.

Now the secondary component of this problem is the large mod list I have being loaded... and my general lack of knowledge in the individual mods within it. (That is to say SOMETHING is making it crash and I have no idea why).

My load-order is as follows:

01  Update.esm
02  3rdEraWeaponsMoS.esm
03  CLARALUX - More and Brighter Lights.esm
04  More Interactive Items.ESM
05  Imp's More Complex Needs.esm  [Version 0.24]
06  LorecraftESM.esm
07  Real Wildlife - IMCN.esm
08  itsatrap!.esm
09  SkyMoMod.esm
0A  AOM.esm
0B  JSwords.esm
0C  ApachiiHair.esm
0D  Omegared99-Compilation.esm
0E  SoS - The Dungeons.esp  [Version 1.11]
0F  SoS - The Wilds.esp  [Version 1.0.2]
10  Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp  [Version 1.0]
11  Chesko_Frostfall.esp
12  Improved Combat Sounds v2.0.esp
13  ICS Possible Fix 1.esp
14  Better Dynamic Snow.esp
15  Realistic Lighting.esp
16  Weapons and Armor fixes.esp
17  Weapons and Armor fixes - Hacks.esp
18  AOM.esp
19  AV1Dragon_Lords.esp
1A  BabettesFeast - IMCN.esp
1B  BabettesFeastBalanced.esp
1C  Crafting300.esp
1D  Crimson Tide - Blood.esp
1E  Dr_Bandolier.esp
1F  Lorecraft - Bandolier.esp
20  itsatrap!.esp
21  Lorecraft - Cooking.esp
22  Lorecraft - Vanilla.esp
23  Lorecraft - Traps.esp
24  mcCampingLite.esp
25  Occupy Skyrim.esp
26  Real Wildlife Skyrim 0.1 IMCN.esp
27  ScenicCarriages.esp
28  SkyMoMod_lists.esp
29  SkyMoMod Extras Collectables.esp
2A  Auto Unequip Arrows.esp
2B  IMAGINATOR - Visual Control for Skyrim.esp
2C  Necessary Map Markers with alternate house.esp
2D  BaratheonArmor.esp
2E  Cloaks.esp
2F  Lorecraft - Cloaks09.esp
30  1nivWICCloaks.esp  [Version 2.0]
31  1nivWICCloaksLorecraft.esp  [Version 1.0]
32  1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp  [Version 0.9]
33  DragonBoneWeaponsComplete.esp
34  DynamicLoot.esp
35  ElvenWeaponry.esp
36  HBetterBows.esp
37  HedgeKnight.esp
38  Lorecraft - JSwords.esp
39  LFArmors.esp
3A  Lorecraft - LFArmors.esp
3B  lordamor.esp
3C  Omegared99-WeaponSets.esp
3D  Omegared99-Compilation-NPC Plugin.esp
3E  Lorecraft - Omegared99-Compilation.esp
3F  RedguardKnight.esp
40  Lorecraft - RedguardKnight.esp
41  ScoutArmor.esp
42  TCOSS.esp
43  VagabondArmor.esp
44  VanguardArmor.esp
45  WarchiefArmor.esp
46  Lorecraft - hothtrooper44 armors.esp
47  warmagearmor.esp
48  Lorecraft - DoODABoOM.esp
49  3rdEraWeaponsMoS.esp
4A  3rdEraWeaponsMoS-ACE-Patch.esp
4B  3rdEraWeaponsMoS - Hacks.esp
4C  Lorecraft - WeaponsOf3E.esp
4D  WVExpansion.esp
4E  Lorecraft - WVExpansion.esp
4F  Complete Crafting Overhaul - BS version.esp
50  Lorecraft - Crafting Overhaul.esp
51  DeadlyDragons.esp
52  DragonsDiversified.esp
53  DeadlyDiversifiedDragonsPatch.esp
54  Soft Slighty Mighty Dragons.esp
55  MD with DeadlyD and DDiversified.esp
56  DeadlyDragonsSpells.esp
57  DeadlyDragonsArmory.esp
58  BreezehomeRenovation.esp
59  Radiance.esp
5A  ArtifactOverhaul.esp
5B  Proper Aiming.esp
5C  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Potions (Half Weight).esp
5D  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ingredients.esp
5E  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Books.esp
++  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Miscellaneous.esp
++  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ammo.esp
5F  Headbomb's Better Sorting - Food (Reduced Weight).esp
60  BetterQuestObjectives.esp
61  BetterSwimming.esp
62  Hoodless Archmage Robes.esp
63  Shadow Remover.esp
64  SkyRe_Races.esp
65  SkyRe_StandingStones.esp
66  Skyrim Creatures Alive.esp  [Version 0.25CK]
67  SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp
68  torches for realistic lighting.esp
69  wieldablelantern.esp
6A  dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp
6B  IMCN - Overrides.esp
6C  Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp
6D  DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
6E  EmpoweredMagic.esp
6F  Acquisitive Soul Gems.esp
70  SustainedSpells.esp
71  PTAlchemyOverhaul_ONLY_BetterSorting.esp
72  Path of Shadows.esp
73  shenkthieveryoverhaul.esp
74  ACE Realistic Fighting.esp
75  The Dance of Death.esp
76  Duel - Combat Realism.esp
77  ACE BYOG.esp
78  ACE Speech.esp
79  ACE Archery.esp
7A  Lorecraft - Ace Archery.esp
7B  ACE Armor.esp
7C  ACE Enchanting.esp
7D  ACE Melee.esp
7E  ACE Smithing.esp
7F  ACE Synergy.esp
80  iHUD.esp
81  UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
82  Animated Weapon Enchants.esp
83  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
84  ASIS-Dependency.esp
85  ASIS.esp

This load-order has been created by BOSS and in regards to ASIS and the Bashed Patch.. I created the Bashed Patch and then ran the ASIS patcher (If that has any relevance)

In my troubleshooting attempts I removed the last 7 or so mods I added in order of the time I added them to the game e.g. "removed recently added mods". And reloaded the game until I ran out of newly added mods and came to my original load-order.

Recently added mods being:

Mighty Dragons
Dynamic Loot
Occupy Skyrim
Dragon Lords
Dragons Diversified
WIC Cloaks
Lorecraft

Yet the problem persists. This has me confused as my mod list prior to these recent mods was generally stable and did not crash so frequently.

In my last attempt at solving it I waited 3 days ingame hoping that everything might respawn and possibly-maybe fix whatever issue is causing the crashes. No luck.

Now the game continuously crashes whether I have the newer mods active or not... making the game generally unplayable. So I post here in the hopes that someone more experienced or knowledgeable with this sort of issue may be able to help.

I apologize if I have misstepped in my placement of this post... which I say in mentioning to the always prevalent list of rules present in almost all forums. (And ofc I've read these particular rules)

Also... I would appreciate any help anyone can provide. As of now I'm lost... and my only possible answer is to remove 90% of my mods and start over (Which I'd rather not do... considering the amount of time I've invested in getting them to work in the first place).

Also.... I have the recent beta patch and SKSE loaded... if that helps.

Thank you :)

Edited by Siruku

Well, this might be a long-shot, but my boyfriend was having a similar problem, and the conflict ended up being between Monster Mod and one of his dragon mods. Because Monster Mod adds dragons, it caused him problems when the game tried to spawn dragons, apparently, since he had about a billion dragon mods. Installing the lore-friendly version of Monster Mod that removed the added dragons resolved this for him. Here it is: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16411

But this is just what worked for him! I, personally, don't use Monster Mod, so I have no first-hand knowledge of the issues it may or may not have. I don't want say "Oh, Monster Mod is doing it," because I don't know that for sure. I'm just telling you about an issue he had, and since you and he have a bunch of similar mods, I figured I'd mention it. I hope this helps. :)

Ahhh... well you pose an interesting point. A long-shot is certainly better than my current null-shot! I'll try it out and see what happens... it might just work! Also... thank you for the mentioning. :)

EDIT: Unfortunately the Lore-Friendly alteration didn't stop the CTDs... which is surprising considering the plausibility of the fix. Nonetheless thank you (again) for your input... perhaps this will help prevent future CTDs lol.

Edited by Siruku

looks to me like you have too many mods running. the max number of mods for Skyrim is 255 but they never said what the max amount of memory allocation is allowed and yes every mod takes up allocated memory regardless of your system. symptoms of reaching that limit are random CTD's. for me when i get to that limit there are 2 locations to get CTD's almost guaranteed, 1 is near Riverwood and the other is in the Rift. Try disabling the biggest mod you have and test where you CTD.

looks to me like you have too many mods running. the max number of mods for Skyrim is 255 but they never said what the max amount of memory allocation is allowed and yes every mod takes up allocated memory regardless of your system. symptoms of reaching that limit are random CTD's. for me when i get to that limit there are 2 locations to get CTD's almost guaranteed, 1 is near Riverwood and the other is in the Rift. Try disabling the biggest mod you have and test where you CTD.

Okay. I'll remove some of the larger ones and see if it improves any. If not... then I'll try to prune a large amount of lesser ones. Thanks!

Uninstall spawn modifying mods, then go to breezehome and wait 31 days to reset cells and spawns. Real Wildlife causes CTDs here frequently, quite a few people have success with removing it.

If that does not help, decrease the resolution or number of hi-texture mods you have. This area, around riverwood is very crash happy because its actually one of the most graphically demanding areas in the entire game. Reducing number or quality of texture mods has solved this issue for others. Someone even solved the issue by running around staring at the road only, but thats no fun :D It still reduces texture loading into RAM and VRAM though. If your close to your VRAM limit, this area will crash.

Another solution is to drop the uGrids value back to its default value of 5. If you have not changed this value dont worry about it. However, if you have, then its a similar fix to the too many hi res texture mods, whereby it reduces VRAM use.

Riverwood also crashes if you have any mods that modifies towns.

Sources:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1377311-rightctd-outside-riverwood-on-the-path-to-the-guardian-stones/

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1380897-ugridstoload-7-freezing/

Edit: Oh and waiting 3 days in game is not enough to respawn stuff. You need to wait 31 days (thats officially confirmed by bethesda, and yep, i know its a lot!), to respawn and reset all cells in skyrim. You can cut down on the time required by using a mod called no boring sleep wait menu from skyrim nexus. Here is a full guide and explanation. I urge you to read this as the waiting fix is not as simple as it seems. http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Troubleshooting#tab=Mods_and_Savegames

Also, you only mention the plugins (not installed mod packages) that skyrim loads. Do you use an texture mods (such as hi-res replacers?) They wont show up in the load order list from BOSS. If you use Wrye Bash, you can export the list from the installers tab.

Could you also post your computers specs?

Edited by MadWizard25

• 8 months later...

I'm also suffering from this problem, especially in Riverwood.

I have a suspicion it may be because of SkyTEST - the wildlife overhaul mod - and its incompatibility with Birds and Flocks. Unfortunately I can't seem to disable either as it fails to load my saved games otherwise.

• 1 month later...

its not a mod even if you run 4000 esp. mod still you crash helgen to riverwood i can't found why i even re install my mods and try them 1 by 1 but seams work 1 by 1 but when i use like 70 esp. mods that not even hearting a each other like follower house mod weapon armor and other mods... still you crash its not on riverwood only i saw a few time happen on other place to but riverwood happen a lot.

skyrim have a lot of great mod that when you play with them you can't play the game if you don't have that mod from small sound mod to house follower and overall mod.

game get finished so fast and so many think missing in game that Betheshta team not cover them and mods do that like frost fall/vilga/deadly dragon...

when i think i see aaaaaa i can't play my game if i don't have them lol !!!!

so 3 option you have.

1.only use 20-30 mod a low number and you never crash ONLY 20-30 MOD i talk a bout all mod even a texture.

2. use 300+++ mod like me and be sure all compatible and recommend each other and DEAL WITH CRASH.

3.ask a mod Skyrim Nexus ore great mod maker to found why that happen and tell other on Video how to fix it like Gopher :)

Ahhh... well you pose an interesting point. A long-shot is certainly better than my current null-shot! I'll try it out and see what happens... it might just work! Also... thank you for the mentioning. :smile:

EDIT: Unfortunately the Lore-Friendly alteration didn't stop the CTDs... which is surprising considering the plausibility of the fix. Nonetheless thank you (again) for your input... perhaps this will help prevent future CTDs lol.

Out of curiosity, would something like the texture pack combiner help to counteract this issue then? I've got 250+ mods running and am getting guaranteed CTDs around Windhelm and the vicinity. I'm running S.T.E.P., a few gameplay enhancing mods, and location alteration/questing mods. Since S.T.E.P. is so many mods, by itself, maybe using the TPC would help with that.