Idea for An Animation Mod I Don't Know How to Make.

Deleted59047076User

I had and idea for a mod that would make it so that different races had different animations for attacking and different stances when they had their weapons drawn. For example Imperials using Roman techniques, Bretons using medieval fencing stances and techniques, Orcs or Nords using more barbaric or Viking-esque (?) attacks or Argonians and Khajiit using more improvised attacks and stances. I wouldn't be able to do this because I know almost nothing about modding and even less about animation, but I just thought it could be a good idea. I couldn't find any mods that do this but if i'm wrong please let me know.

I think this is a great idea, though I believe it would be better to do something a bit different since all the races have very similar bodies and behaviour (Argonians and Khajiit might be a little different, but still...)

What I mean is to make different fighting and stances animations for particular skill levels. So as the player gets more advanced, his movements get better and more coordinated.

This is of course just an idea.

Edited by nayakri

Would be a lot of work if it's even possible. The thing is, all playable races access the same animation folder, which is why when you install an animation replacer mod, it replaces EVERYBODY's animations to use the same thing, not just yours. With the FNIS PCEA mod, they were able to achieve player only animation change, but that was done by turning the player into a custom non-vanilla race which was designed to point to a different animation folder. PCEA2 was able to achieve the separate folder for the player by ways I do not understand though. So you might have to look into that to see if it's achievable to do that by using a race flag instead of whatever flag they used to mark the PC to use a different animation.

And we're just talking about different stances per race.

I don't even know where to begin to do the changing the animation as you progress in skill. Even changing the animation in the middle of the game manually using the PCEA2 mod (and that's it's own feature) was intentionally limited to reduce possibility of frozen poses. What more with automated change of animations.

The idea is great, but then you're of course limited by what the game can give you.

It just got into my mind: wouldn't it be possible to do via scripting? Leaving default animations as the backup and create user animation somewhere else (in different sub-folder) and then add them by scripts (eg. with "if" loop).

I know it sounds a little too easy, but maybe it would be a good step towards doing it? <- question to those who know their way around scripting.

As I said earlier I don't know the intricacies of this and just thought it could be a good idea but might it be possible to make different animation folders for different races (similar to how Khajiit and Argonians' walking animations were different to other races in Morrowind)? Just to be clear I don't entirely know what I'm talking about and if I'm wrong please correct me.

Animations in Skyrim are a very tricky thing, and not meant by Bethesda to be modded. Tools and mods like FNIS only work because they actually hack into undocumented internal data. There are 2 ways that your idea could be implemented in theory, but they both fail due to system limitations.

One way is to do it static, with custom races. Similar the way player specific animations that are implemented in PCEA (which is not to be confused with PCEA2). But that would require that the complete character animation behavior is copied for every race. The data required for all that would be so huge that I doubt the game would even start. Like it doesn't start already when users add more than 11 to 13k custom animations with FNIS. There is for example a file that already has more than 150,000 lines. With all the races added the file would probably have more than one Million lines.

Another way is dynamic, like in PCEA2 (which btw does NOT need a custom race). This way is partially script driven, and it requires certain animation variables to be set. Unfortunately does Skyrim not save these variables when a character looses its 3d representation. Which means that these variables have to be reset every time an NPC regains its 3d. I don't know if and how this could be achieved with SKSE plugins. But based on Papyrus it would require that as script has to be attached to each and every NPC. It'S not hard to imagine what this would mean to save files. And system performance.

I see Bethesda loves to make our lives harder with every step... Considering what are my personal skills regarding CK and scripting, I leave this from this moment forward to more skillful people here on Nexus.

Perhaps someone will manage to pull it together, perhaps not... Nevertheless, good luck!

Edited by nayakri