Room bounds and Power Armor

DiodeLadder

Hi guys,

I've been putting room bounds in my interior cells, and all's been well - until I went into those cells with a Power Armor. The problem I am having seems to come from top of the room bounds being too low. For example, small rooms of 256 units height with room bounds at that exact size would make the Power Armor to disappear when the player character gets out of it and it goes back to the furniture state. I can easily get around this problem by just making the room bounds slightly taller, but in some of my interior cells this won't work as I have rooms stacked and won't be able to extend the bounds upward. Power Armor in NPC state, 3rd person view, would not have this problem.

Here's the video of this problem :

The first room has the room bound height going right up to the floor above, full 256 units. The Power Armor would disappear as soon as the PC gets out of it in that room. In other places where room bounds are set higher would not have this problem, as you can see. (Removing the room bounds in this particular cell won't do any harm to be honest, but I have the same scenario in much bigger cells I've built. This cell also is going to have a few more rooms, as it's too basic at the moment. :-/)

I am wondering what you guys are doing in such a situation? Thanks for your help!

Okay, so I just saw another problem.

In the screenshot, you see a block of shadow behind her. That's where I put in an SCOL of four filing cabinets. The cabinets definitely weren't sticking out of the wall in CK, and well within the room bounds. The dresser which was in that exact location had no problem appearing in the game. There's no problem with the map hanging on the wall, either.

I'd appreciate any advice on how I should go about using room markers correctly, as I am just getting into this. Thanks for your help!

Make your roombound cover both levels. Itâs not that big if a performance hit to have both levels loaded. Most vanilla interiors roombound large sections instead of trying to segment individual spaces.

As for that second part, use a light box on the light thatâs throwing that shadow.

Make your roombound cover both levels. Itâs not that big if a performance hit to have both levels loaded. Most vanilla interiors roombound large sections instead of trying to segment individual spaces.

As for that second part, use a light box on the light thatâs throwing that shadow.

Thanks for your reply, Carreau.

Yes, that is what I was thinking to do, and this particular cell would run well without any roombounds in place, in fact. I guess I am wanting to know the causes for roombounds to kill off the visual of what's inside it, though, just for the sake of learning how this stuff works. And this is just one very small example I have presented to ask a question in the forum - if I have a larger building with 4 floor levels stacked, this same problem would still be there, and I would want to know how to go about optimizing such an interior cell. Or if I should design my interior cells differently in such a case.

As for the second example, the shadow is not the problem, but it is about the disappeared file cabinets which are also within the roombound - the file cabinets are not in the next room, they are right beside her. :-) I just want to know in what condition the roombound would not render the objects inside it. I know how the objects partially sticking out of bounds may not render, but in the both cases I've posted, these objects are well within the roombound, nothing sticking out (well, unless something invisible is sticking out and I don't know it).

Edited by DiodeLadder

I misunderstood about the cabinets. Objects have a centerpoint, and that needs to be within the roombound for it to draw. So, if you pull up the scol in the view panel, the center is represented by the point where all the movement arrows converge.

Power armor centers should be at their feet. So itâs probable that when itâs transitioning between race and furniture, the center is going out of the roomboundâs floor pane

I misunderstood about the cabinets. Objects have a centerpoint, and that needs to be within the roombound for it to draw. So, if you pull up the scol in the view panel, the center is represented by the point where all the movement arrows converge.

Power armor centers should be at their feet. So itâs probable that when itâs transitioning between race and furniture, the center is going out of the roomboundâs floor pane

I have not explained this part before, but actually in the video I have posted, the first room where the power armor disappears has the lower part of the roombound extended by 128 units, while the room above without problem has the upper part of the roombound extended by 128 units. So, it maybe that the center of armor is going out of roombounds as you say, but looks like it needs roombound ceiling to be higher in my test. Maybe the "swinging open" animation of power armor needing space above? I don't know.

Anyway, thank you for taking time to respond, Carreau, I really appreciate it. I've ripped out the roombounds and portals from this cell, and as you have suggested, I am going to redo everything in simpler ways with more tolerance to avoid issues.

You might want to generate interior Pre-Combined meshes and visibility instead of using roombounds and portal.

In vanilla cells that have roombounds, they aren’t used when pre-combine’s are generated. When a mod breaks the vanilla pre-combined meshes the roombounds kick in but they were poorly done because the system is obsolete.

You’ll probably get better performance with the pre-combined system.

Just a suggestion

You might want to generate interior Pre-Combined meshes and visibility instead of using roombounds and portal.

In vanilla cells that have roombounds, they aren’t used when pre-combine’s are generated. When a mod breaks the vanilla pre-combined meshes the roombounds kick in but they were poorly done because the system is obsolete.

You’ll probably get better performance with the pre-combined system.

Just a suggestion

Thank you Chuck.

I just started to read the long optimization thread here, and I was wondering about the "that's our old system" comment from Bethesda regarding roombounds and portals. Your post is just what I needed to see. :-)