Is there a Dark Face Bug Fix for Non-Modders?

leonbrass

As the title says:

I have no clue how to use any of the mod tools, and am not savvy enough to try. The only information on fixing this involves doing stuff in the CK... and I am lost by the end of the first sentence..

I am trying to use a variety of mods... Bella's and Supermodels mainly, but also use Ultimate Follower Overhaul, Diverse Female Housecarls and a bunch of others that shouldn't affect faces, but..

I have turned off all and re installed only one; result - dark face. took that out, installed another one and ... dark face! I have tried reordering the load manually, and with BOSS. Dark Faces!

Is there anything I can do, other than uninstalling all the beauty mods and doing without them?

As the title says:

I have no clue how to use any of the mod tools, and am not savvy enough to try. The only information on fixing this involves doing stuff in the CK... and I am lost by the end of the first sentence..

I am trying to use a variety of mods... Bella's and Supermodels mainly, but also use Ultimate Follower Overhaul, Diverse Female Housecarls and a bunch of others that shouldn't affect faces, but..

I have turned off all and re installed only one; result - dark face. took that out, installed another one and ... dark face! I have tried reordering the load manually, and with BOSS. Dark Faces!

Is there anything I can do, other than uninstalling all the beauty mods and doing without them?

Data/Meshes/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceGeom/NameOfTheEsp.esp

Data/Textures/Actors/Character/FaceGenData/FaceTint/NameOfTheEsp.esp

Those are the paths where exported information about face/cosmetic changes is stored. You can remove folders from this location if you think maybe an uninstalled mod left a folder. That's about all I can tell you that doesn't involve the Creation Kit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

After many weeks of effort I have come to this conclusion:

There is NO easy fix for the dark face bug, period. There does not appear to be any way to fix this without the CK. Even with the CK it can still sneak into the game from an old save, or from a mod that adds or modifies npc's as part of a project that at first glance should not cause this.

The only way to totally avoid this bug: never, ever, add any mod that changes character facial appearance in any way. No hair, no faces, no facepaints, no new characters, no changes to existing characters, nothing. Not an acceptable solution...

Using the console and changing npc weights works only for that part of the session when the affected one(s) are on screen, in that specific cell, regardless of how many times you save.

I am totally disgusted... this should never have happened in the first place, and Bethesda should have jumped on a patch for this immediately....

Instead we have to learn to love numerous npc's running around with much darker faces and pretend that it is normal.

Please someone prove me wrong, and post detailed step by step fixes.

• 1 month later...

Welll, you're not wrong. I use CK to change faces and hair with Apachii. I hadn't made any new face/hair changes in months. A few days ago I added Ultimate Followers Overhaul. Now many of my NPCs have dark faces. I have not been able to correct in CK. Also for some reason the changes I'm making in CK are not showing up in textures/actors/character/facegendata/facetint either. The old ones I did months ago are there, but not the new ones.

I will keep searching for the answer.