How in the green boogy man of f*** do I start modding? (If I say there will be zombies will that make you want to click this more?)

deadpool0600

Okay, so, I'm bad at staring things so lets jump in.

I wanna make a mod, a mod that overhauls the end game of F04 and add's custom enemies, characters and animations. As well as set scripted events and quests. I basically, at it's most basic form, want to make a mod that starts after the main quest (Or before but it wouldn't fit so well in the story) and jump's you the Sole Survivor forward say 10 years (I mean, just change the date to ten years later or have a notifications saying it and other info).

This starts a quest that leads you out of your retirement after whatever main quest ending you choose, to find that the Institute has been destroyed by someone (Maybe, I might keep it because I'm thinking of some cool underground lab missions as I'm writing this) you will find out who as you play, but that is like a little side mission.

The idea is, that the institute was destroyed and after that happened life went on as normal for people, but as time went by some scavver's tried their luck in it's ruins, they knocked over a few thing's, turned on some stuff, started some chain of event's that could bring about the end of the commonwealth, and the wasteland's of America we know them, and you as the last best hope for humanity, must find out what is happening and stop it.

There will be mystery, pain, blood, guts, war and maybe some characters worth a tear.

This will be an overhaul mod that removes or kills a lot of characters for the main game, the aim is to make it an end game dlc like mod for people that have done everything or really, really, reeaaally want Preston to die (Oh and he's gonna).

I am a writer, I'm not a modder, but I'd like to be. The story is ready. Now I just need the means to create it.

I have used mods for years, I know what I'm doing there. I have a basic understanding of outfit studio and NifSkope.

What I need is something to build or edit skeletons, meshes, textures, all that crap.

And something to make quests and custom animations.

Again... Basically, I haven't a f***ing clue what I am doing. So, if anyone is able to give me some idea's or tool I could use, just the basics or more. Maybe tips or anything really. If anyone want's to help that'd be awesome too. But for now I'm just trying to get an idea, then take inventory, then get to work.

Thank's for reading all that.

P.s: I have read the tutorial threads and taken them into account, they were helpful but I'm asking for more general information. Hell even suggestions or new idea's.

Edited by deadpool0600

quests are created through the Creation Kit or GECK , whatever it's called for FO4 . it's the official tool Bethesda has released

you can get it from Bethesda's site if you don't have it yet

I believe that meshes and animations are made with the same tools , though I could be wrong . and these are made with 3D modelling software

textures are made with image editing software

I'm not sure which programs most mod authors use , but some mod authors state these in their credit sections

regardless , I would recommend visiting https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5978333-fo4-modding-tutorial-list/ and https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3760875-fallout-4-modding-tutorials/

both threads should have more than enough information to at least get you started

on a side note , I recommend starting with one specific thing you want to do (making new animations , new items , new quests etc) , learning the basics and working just on that part for a time

I think many people try to do everything at the same time , and therefore fail at everything as they stretch themselves between too many programs and projects

so start small , learn the basics , improve and hopefully achieve what you are aspiring to

Thank you, any idea's on where to start first? I mean I'd go straight for the quest and story, get the plot done then start working on the models and meshes for some enemies and other none vanilla game npc's. After that work on the animations?

On a side note, if per say I wanted to make animations for first person, like you walk up to a wall and there is a dude on top the the wall, it then comes up with "Press E) to climb" or something, and then you press E and it enters a scripted animation where you wave to the guy and he crouches and offers you his hand and you climb up and it gives you back camera control Is that possible? In any way? I mean I know there are animations for sitting and being attacked by different types of enemies, but an animation that put's you in a different place from where you started, is that possible?

Edited by deadpool0600

regarding where to start , it's completely up to you

I would recommend starting with the story and quests , and maybe you can find existing work that you can use (with permissions from the authors) instead of making your own items

and even if you can't find anything , maybe if you have a written and implemented story you could try recruiting the help of other mod makers to help you with items and animations

regarding the specific animation , I really have no idea

I've never tried working with animations , and I'm not aware of the limitations of them

I believe it is possible , but I'm definitely not the person to ask this . if you are interested in animations and info about them , I would recommend looking through the different animation mods for Fallout and Elder Scrolls games , finding a mod that handles something similar (creature animations if you are interested in making creatures , same for humanoids , weapons etc) , seeing if the author is active and maybe PMing them your questions . hopefully if you are polite and they are active and kind they would offer you assistance or at least give you useful information