Help with skse plugins

vickgraham1992

Now, this is not a quick and easy request to answer, because I know it takes quite a bit of effort to port DLL plugins from oldrim to SSE as opposed to simple form edits in SSEEdit, but I am here wanting to learn how to do it, and there is no information on how to even attempt this as far as I can find. So here it is:

I want to learn how to take a DLL plugin made in 32 bit and port it to 64 bit. The plugin Im attempting to work with is the Enchantment Reload Fix https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52717/?tab=posts&BH=2 the author egocarib already gave the source code and permission to port to SSE and stated he is not going to be working on a port anytime soon. So now I want help learning how to do it. And Im talking about beginner user with visual studio. I know some coding, but not C++. From what I gathered, porting requires changing the memory addresses since 64bit addresses are different than 32, which really only takes place in the hooks, I think.

So things I want to know:

How to open the source code in Visual Studio to begin porting

How to find what needs to be changed

How to find what it needs to be changed to

and stuff that might be associated with doing the above tasks.

I am willing to discuss on another medium since forums are not good for real time discussion, although if I learn something useful or learn of a site with useful information in that discussion, I may post it here for others who want to take the first few steps in creating/porting SKSE plugins.

If I can get enough help to actually port the plugin, I will upload it and provide credit to anyone that provided help.

This doesn't answer your question, but may save you some time. I recently found this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8473.

I asked the mod author if his mod fixes all the problems the old mod did (the one you're attempting to work with), and the answer is (basically) yes.

You can see my question and his answer on that mod's Posts tab. It's still the top post, so should be easy to find. (His answer was a little more detailed than just a simple yes, so I would suggest reading it to make sure it's exactly what you're looking for.)

Edited by Taffer42

This doesn't answer your question, but may save you some time. I recently found this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8473.

I asked the mod author if his mod fixes all the problems the old mod did (the one you're attempting to work with), and the answer is (basically) yes.

You can see my question and his answer on that mod's Posts tab. It's still the top post, so should be easy to find. (His answer was a little more detailed than just a simple yes, so I would suggest reading it to make sure it's exactly what you're looking for.)

while this mod is aimed at fixing the prices, the Enchantment Reload Fix addresses an issue that this mod doesn't, despite not mentioning it in on their page. The bug I want fixed is the ability for all magic effects to scale with enchantment level, not just one effect (namely the one with the highest cost). So for instance, the Chaos enchantment, despite what it says, only the electric damage does the damage it says, while frost and fire are stuck at a fixed value (i believe is 10).

plus I actually want to know how to do it, it would be nice not relying on authors who are busy with other things.

Edited by vickgraham1992