Vortex for Linux!

humpywolf

I never accused you of "intent to cause misery."

That's the definition of a Debbie Downer.

Since that statement was never an argument to begin with it is not subject to fallacies.

Logic always applies.

Neither of these statements say anything about your comments. They simply help to mitigate some of the negative things you've said.

First, what negative things are you talking about to begin with? Are you referring to the Steam surveys and my direct interpretation of them?

Also, these negative things would be in my comments so how can you not be saying anything about them by mitigating their contents?

Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Fallout: New Vegas all work on steam on Linux right now thanks to Proton. If you don't believe me you can find evidence on protondb.

The question is not whether they work. The question is whether your suggestion that there may be proportionally more Linux users here on Nexus Mods than Steam is true or at least has some basis.

I'm baffled I have to say this but it is legal to run your games on Linux Steam. In fact the only game I'm personally aware of that doesn't legally work at all on Linux is Final Fantasy XV (though that is a tangent).

Okay, let me explain this to you. To legally install and play these games, you need to install Steam. Every month, Valve selects a random pool of their users and has Steam perform a survey of their PC and collect various attributes of that PC, including the OS. These data collections are then tallied up and tabulated in their monthly survey. Because those Steam dependant games are the main modding targets for this website, this means that the majority of NM users are in that survey. And this goes back to your hypothesis that there are proportionally more Linux users here on Nexus Mods than Steam. If you are playing or modding these games on Linux, your contribution towards the Linux market share in that survey is already accounted for and thus, what is the basis for suggesting that there are more Linux users hidden here? The only way you can avoid this survey with those games is by bypassing the Steam requirement by pirating the game. Hence my remark about Linux pirates. I never equated Linux gaming with piracy and so, unfortunately, that is another Straw Man Argument.

This statement only requires two other individuals who fit the profile, though there are many more. You can find some in this thread and in the comments of that youtube video you linked.

Context is the key. I said this in association with Valve's survey (that you were responding to) which show trends in the numbers of people using Linux. A handful of people that fit the profile is not going to make a dent in those numbers.

Furthermore, forum posts and comments are a very biased and limited source of data. It is virtually impossible to draw any meaningful conclusions from sources like those. That video is specifically about switching to Linux for gaming so of course it is going to attract a disproportionately large amount of commentary along those lines. Furthermore, most of the comments there are not people thinking of switching but people who are already using Linux.

That's a good anecdote, but now I'm wondering why you're even in this thread since you don't seem to have a dog in this fight.

So wait, am I only allowed to post here if I have a high enough ranking membership in the Linux Club? If so, what rank exactly do you need?

Also, what makes you think that I'm not interested in Vortex on Linux?

I hate the additional mouse buttons,

I OTOH love them. I have found them the most efficient and fastest way of navigating through you directory history. They also work very well in games. So much so that I bought the Logitech G700s for even more buttons.

but I just checked to see if they work in nautilus (default Ubuntu filemanager) and they do.

It looks like I need to re-evaluate my test setup because VMWare is not passing those buttons to Linux VMs for some reason whereas it is to Windows VMs. I booted three Linux distros directly and the thumb buttons do indeed work. Thank you for that.

I do agree about the polish. It can get annoying when things don't work right away. It's not a problem that can't be solved though and a continued attitude of apathy doesn't help matters.

The problem is that if Linux doesn't offer me a compelling reason to use it as my daily driver, I have no reason to put up with these problems. So far, I have not found such a reason.

Every community has its bad apples. There's plenty among windows fans as well. No need to bring it up here.

Thing is that I would love to agree with that and normally, I would. The problem is that I don't see anywhere near the number of toxic Windows users as I see for Linux. For example, the FSF is an entire organisation of toxic Linux fans who have turned open source and especially Linux into a political matter and they receive a lot of support.

The bigger problem though is that these bad Linux users are rarely criticised for their behaviour and are even supported. This thread is a small example of this; Mcdeviant above threatened to end his subscription on Nexus Mods until Vortex gets ported last year. Until I came along, no one called him out on this. I had to do it. And then after that, 1SupremeBeing defended the threatening post and 1ae0bfb8 criticised me for posting that.

Now don't get me wrong. I have seen examples of Linux users who behave in a proper manner (Stack Exchange is an example of a good place to find them). The issue is that they, in my experience, are overshadowed by the problematic ones.

You'd be right except this kind of thread does help. It puts our desire for a Linux port on the map and describes (somewhat inaccurately) how much demand exists. It is obviously in Nexus' interest to be aware of such demand in their market.

The problem is that this seems to assume that Dark0ne doesn't have any way of figuring out what OS his users have and need threads like this to enlighten him. The truth is that there are ways to figure this out (e.g. a web browser's User Agent outright states the OS) and I would be very surprised if Dark0ne isn't keeping track of this. In fact, his comment about Linux support not being on the roadmap was very likely prompted by him looking at this data.

I feel it's necessary to share that I'm not some Linux fanboy. I've spend far more time on Windows and would rather stick with it, if not for its deal-breakers. My support for Linux mainly comes from the lack of accountability in the alternatives. They aren't open source and continue to get away with a lot of proprietary BS (another rabbit hole I will not go down here).

There is no link between proprietary software and accountability. There are a number of businesses that are well regarded even though they don't release the source for (most of?) their software (Valve being one example). OTOH, Canonical got in trouble some time back for putting "Amazon Spyware" in their open-source OS. I believe this was one of the reasons Linux Mint was created.

Also, one big problem is the amount of FUD and propaganda that is spread about Microsoft and Windows. And this isn't a recent thing; MS has been on the receiving end of negativity for a very long time: https://www.tweakguides.com/VA_2.html

Once you know what to look for, you see this nonsense everywhere. That YouTube video's comment section is full of it, for example. In one extreme case, a commenter claimed that Windows 10 destroys hard drives (as in physical destruction just because you installed Win10 on it). He, of course, had zero evidence to support this allegation.

That said, I'm not trying to argue that MS is faultless or that all the negativity against them is baseless. I'm just saying that it seems that much of it is best ignored.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought i came into the linux os craze late. Everyone I know uses it and I am just surprised that linux is not supported in about everything. You'd think companies would look at modern trends in order to keep up with the consumer but apparently they don't even care about money anymore. The human race confuses the hell out of me.

I thought i came into the linux os craze late. Everyone I know uses it and I am just surprised that linux is not supported in about everything. You'd think companies would look at modern trends in order to keep up with the consumer but apparently they don't even care about money anymore. The human race confuses the hell out of me.

They are looking at modern trends. Your personal experience simply isn't statistically relevant. The Steam survey I posted previously still shows that less than 1% of Steam users use Linux. This is true regardless of whether or not all the dozen or so people you know use it. If someone comes along and says that none of the people they know use Linux, would that refute your post?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Came here to show support :smile:

Vortex for linux!

Adding my vote for a native Linux version.

For now, it works quite well in Lutris (Wine). Even got nxm links working :D

Tannin and Dark0ne have already stated that they have no plans to port Vortex to Linux. You should have read through the thread. Vortex is open-source so by all means, get out your programming tools and make it happen.

• 1 month later...