Oblivion shadows(?) are blocky, low quality

AstralCommie

Recently after getting back into Oblivion and modding it some, i've noticed that my distant land/shadows are really blocky and low quality.

Ex: https://imgur.com/a/Ayy333f

At one point in the past I tried changing the ini file LOD and grass setting to see if it would extend the grass distance to no avail. I'm not sure if this is what triggered it but after that I remember seeing the ground in the distance had this weird black pixel texture. I tried a fresh reinstall with no mods but that didn't fix the problem, neither did regenerating the INI file multiple times. I've tried using wrye bash, BOSS, and oblivion mod manager to see if I could fix this but nothing i've done works. I haven't seen anyone else with this problem but i'm hoping someone has a fix? or at least any advice on how to fix this.

• 3 weeks later...

Please don't "bump", unless you have some new information. It will only get the topic locked. It was still on page #1 anyways.

First off, this has nothing to do with shadows. The darker areas on the ground in your screenshot are landscape textures rather, meant to go along with the farm ground and fences which should be visible there. Just for some reason at this distance you're not seeing them.

This could either be fixable by running TES4LODGen once, to make all (missing) LOD objects in the distance show up at all. (Might also need something like Really Almost Everything Visible When Distant, or similar, first though. But keep in mind it will slow your game down some. Make sure you really need it first.)

The most likely culprit, however, would be wrong distance settings, or even a plugin constantly messing with those (like Streamline).

In all cases, for the folks on here to be able to help you more, they'll need to have at least your mod list, the mods you installed, and your load order.

And as for the more crisp pixelated ground texture at certain distances, that's not unusual. It'll likely require a landscape LOD texture or shader replacer to get "better". But it all depends on what you need and/or are already using otherwise.