Game assets not all created equal?

LizzieBee

Recently followed a tutorial by MightyNINE titled "Fallout 4 tutorial building prefab mesh in Nifskope". I followed the tutorial to the letter, and created my own double capsule/bunkhouse thingy. Excellent, thorough tutorial. When I took that knowledge and tried to create another masterpiece, I got an unusable decoration that could be placed using the workshop, but had no other interactions once placed. It had no collision properties, and became a permanent "non-thing" thing.

Here's what I've figured out so far - If I use the assets as provided in MightyNINE's download, the object works as advertised. When I use assets I've extracted from my own game, or combine them with the provided ones, I get the aforementioned "non-thing" thing.

Are all Fallout 4 games not using the same assets? This is the most unusual conundrum I have encountered yet. Not sure if I can blame Nifskope just yet, as I can create working objects with alternate assets.

Any Mighty Modders out there with any insight/suggestions/anecdotes?

Edit: I feel like such a newb. Actually, I am, but... I think I solved the mystery - Nifskope and the assets need to be on the SAME drive. Not necessarily in the same folder, but on the same physical drive. I was running Nifskope on one drive with the assets on another. The tutorial worked because I had Nifskope and the provided assets in separate folders on my desktop. D'oh!

Edited by LizzieBee

I would create the prefab mesh using Creation Kit instead of Nifskope, you only need to place the objects in the world, select all objects (ctrl + left click), then right click on the selection and "Make static collection", name it whatever you want. Then find the static collection in the object window, right click on it, and "Recreate static collection meshes", it will create a nif file. You can use the generated nif file in the same way that you would use the one you've created in Nifskope.

Additionally, if you need to change the center of your mesh, because its not being placed properly in workshop mode, you need to use a "StaticCollectionPivotDummy", and do the selection of the objects by starting the selection from the pivot.

Edited by DieFeM

Recently followed a tutorial by MightyNINE titled "Fallout 4 tutorial building prefab mesh in Nifskope". I followed the tutorial to the letter, and created my own double capsule/bunkhouse thingy. Excellent, thorough tutorial. When I took that knowledge and tried to create another masterpiece, I got an unusable decoration that could be placed using the workshop, but had no other interactions once placed. It had no collision properties, and became a permanent "non-thing" thing.

Here's what I've figured out so far - If I use the assets as provided in MightyNINE's download, the object works as advertised. When I use assets I've extracted from my own game, or combine them with the provided ones, I get the aforementioned "non-thing" thing.

Are all Fallout 4 games not using the same assets? This is the most unusual conundrum I have encountered yet. Not sure if I can blame Nifskope just yet, as I can create working objects with alternate assets.

Any Mighty Modders out there with any insight/suggestions/anecdotes?

Edit: I feel like such a newb. Actually, I am, but... I think I solved the mystery - Nifskope and the assets need to be on the SAME drive. Not necessarily in the same folder, but on the same physical drive. I was running Nifskope on one drive with the assets on another. The tutorial worked because I had Nifskope and the provided assets in separate folders on my desktop. D'oh!

Are there any other sources you would recommend in using to make a fully working prefab? i been trying to make prefabs u place over the houses easily enough to keep the rain out, like double up the large floor pieces and long enough for the hole house...