Need some generic feedback on a concept i'm currently working on

Lividpileofdirt

Sounds really neat. Not sure if you played Fallout New Vegas but one of my favorite mods was A World of Pain, offering a tremendous underground maze underneath the entire wasteland with a variety of sections, challenges, enemies and quests to the extent that it actually almost doubled the game's content. If I recall correctly it also featured an experimental teleportation system that added a means to fast travel. If you're planning on anything like it I would be very much interested.

Perhaps you could center the transport aspect around something like the Nuka World Express. An underground service stopping at various stations but requiring clearing of obstacles / completing objectives to be able to become interlocked and fully functional as a quick (but real time) way to get around the map?

*Thinks of improvised, steam punkish, push cart-like steam engines with armor plating and a lot of smoke which eventually can be modified to allow greater speeds, etc, ...*

Curious to see how this will develop :smile:

p.s. So far I have always been using Red Wave Reloaded as an immersive way to get about (a bit more) quickly without using any normal fast travel. Not sure if you've tried it but I love it dearly.

Edited by dikr

Sounds really neat. Not sure if you played Fallout New Vegas but one of my favorite mods was A World of Pain, offering a tremendous underground maze underneath the entire wasteland with a variety of sections, challenges, enemies and quests to the extent that it actually almost doubled the game's content. If I recall correctly it also featured an experimental teleportation system that added a means to fast travel. If you're planning on anything like it I would be very much interested.

Perhaps you could center the transport aspect around something like the Nuka World Express. An underground service stopping at various stations but requiring clearing of obstacles / completing objectives to be able to become interlocked and fully functional as a quick (but real time) way to get around the map?

*Thinks of improvised, steam punkish, push cart-like steam engines with armor plating and a lot of smoke which eventually can be modified to allow greater speeds, etc, ...*

Curious to see how this will develop :smile:

p.s. So far I have always been using Red Wave Reloaded as an immersive way to get about (a bit more) quickly without using any normal fast travel. Not sure if you've tried it but I love it dearly.

I haven't heard of that mod or played it but i'm tempted to try and get F:NV working again just to try it.

I'm implementing long and short routes.

The first time you play through an area you need to unlock doors, explore, etc.

However once you unlock those doors you can just run through the area to the next one. I've deliberatly taken enemy spawning out of these short routes so players can get around without always having to keep fighting the same enemies every 7 in game days.

Does this sound appealing?

I haven't heard of that mod or played it but i'm tempted to try and get F:NV working again just to try it.

I'm implementing long and short routes.

The first time you play through an area you need to unlock doors, explore, etc.

However once you unlock those doors you can just run through the area to the next one. I've deliberatly taken enemy spawning out of these short routes so players can get around without always having to keep fighting the same enemies every 7 in game days.

Does this sound appealing?

Yes, that sounds nice. A World of Pain worked like that as well; once you cleared a path to another spot to surface, you could use it as a shortcut. But because of there would be a large amount of running involved anyway (because of matching distances above and below ground), they also added that teleportation system in an old laboratory / military hub, which allowed fast travel to a (very) limited amount of locations. Though restoring an old subway system sounds even more awesome to me personally. But that would probably require some heavy scripting.

Edited by dikr

Well thanks for the feedback everyone. But my plugin is now corrupt and I cant recover it.

That's about 3 months of work gone in a second.

I may as well start again. But honestly I don't think I have the will to carry on after losing that much progress with no hope of recovering it.

So until further notice. This project is cancelled.

Well thanks for the feedback everyone. But my plugin is now corrupt and I cant recover it.

I may as well start again. But honestly I don't think I have the will to carry on after losing that much progress with no hope of recovering it.

Define "corrupt". Maybe it can still be salvaged.

Define "corrupt". Maybe it can still be salvaged.

Putting it in a load order crashes the game

Creation kit doesn't recognise it as a file

Windows cant find the file either

It's like it never existed. The only evidence is the plugin is still mounted in NMM

Well, since the first iteration of this mod will never see the light of day I may as well show off some of the screenshots I was using as a reference between edits.

Everything below is an interior/scene I made. Some of them were still works in progress.

This is all I have left of the mod. I may revisit this and piece it back together but now I just want to go and lie town for a few hours.

I hope you enjoy them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1531384655

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1531384631

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1531384597

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1531384581

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1531384558

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1531384538

And lastly, thanks for all the support. It meant a lot to me.

Edited by Lividpileofdirt

Ah crap. That sucks hard man. What a shame ...

Did it got set as a hidden file somehow? Or read only or something similar? Deleted wrong files? Renamed it? What was the last things you did on the mod and on your pc that might have triggered it?

When it can't be saved, I hope you get over it and get modding again when you get inspired. As someone who worked in graphic design for most of my life I know how it feels like to lose a lot of digital work but I also know that redoing it goes much and much faster and allows you to make things even better. It will probably take you only half the time. Hope you will come to that point someday. Screens look awesome for sure.

p.s. Kind of a Captain Hindsight remark but it's very good practice to back-up files when modding >_< There's always things that can go horribly wrong. Especially with the CK. I make backups of the esp's around every big CK change I do. Maybe a bit of an overkill but I had it happen a few times that I needed to jump back a few steps.

Ah crap. That sucks hard man. What a shame ...

Did it got set as a hidden file somehow? Or read only or something similar? Deleted wrong files? Renamed it? What was the last things you did on the mod and on your pc that might have triggered it?

When it can't be saved, I hope you get over it and get modding again when you get inspired. As someone who worked in graphic design for most of my life I know how it feels like to lose a lot of digital work but I also know that redoing it goes much and much faster and allows you to make things even better. It will probably take you only half the time. Hope you will come to that point someday. Screens look awesome for sure.

p.s. Kind of a Captain Hindsight remark but it's very good practice to back-up files when modding >_< There's always things that can go horribly wrong. Especially with the CK. I make backups of the esp's around every big CK change I do. Maybe a bit of an overkill but I had it happen a few times that I needed to jump back a few steps.

The last thing I did was finish a navmesh. Nothing too surprising - just a flat room.

I saved the progress I had made and CK closed on me. Big deal. it's happened before.

I re-opened the Ck and my .esp wasn't on the list. I looked at my NMM and it was there, but the file was corrupted.

I made a new .esp file in an attempt to save some of the npcs/progress I have made.

But because I couldn't select the file, I couldn't save anything. Link below related.

https://dotesports-media-cdn-tqgiyve.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/08153731/Untitled.png

I tried as a last resort to go through my game files. But the esp wasn't even there anymore. It's like it self destructed.

Anyway, while I was having my emo moment I thought of a new idea; Pipes filled with acid. I figured out how to make water poison you on contact rather than/as well as irradiate you.

I totally agree with your hindsight comment. I should've backed up. But I was under the impression CK was more stable.

How do you recommend backing up? USB stick?

I understand it can't be saved now. Crashing while saving is kind of bad. *presses F to pay respect*

Good thing you already got inspired :smile:

Backing up is as simple as copying esp's to any other drive. (And manually copying other files it adds). Easiest to just use the 'save as' command in CK occasionally and navigate to that BU location.

I use a secondary disk for that and it's also the place where I first download new mods, unpack them in their own categorized folders and inspect their contents before manually installing them. (Which I still prefer over any other form of automation as it gives you more control and understanding about what mods add). Even if my C drive crashes and I loose my entire game installation, I can hook up that disk to a new installation or another system and I'm back to a modded game fairly soon.

Edited by dikr