Restin' Souls (Contextual Survival Mode Saving)

Ckiimyir

TL; DR: ''Save at any couch or bed without having to sleep''

You know how in Dark Souls bonfires were used to not only rest but also save? Bethesda adopted a similar mechanic in Survival mode but I don't like the way it's been implemented for the following reasons: 1) sleeping makes time pass so you get hungry and thirsty; 2) while you sleep a radiation storm can swoop in, damaging or even killing you if you already have lots of rads; 3) there's a random chance to get sick for seemingly no reason; 4) some mods like Frost add wheather types that involve constant rad emission, preventing you from sleeping since you're taking radiation damage. As you can see, sleeping forces you to spend resources AND puts you in danger when all you wanted to do was just save the damn game!

''Just use one of the million Survival mode saving mods, dumbass''

Good idea! I did use them in fact, however while extremely handy I feel they take away from the whole survival thing as they enable you to save anywhere, anytime. Of course you COULD control yourself to save only under certain self-imposed circumstances but it feels very artificial when you know that in reality you can actually savescum all you want

Thus, here's the mod idea I'd like to request. In soulsurrender's great Sofa Surfer mod, when you move your cursor over a couch you get a new prompt enabling you to sleep on it

24944-1-1497703886.jpg

Similarly, Restin' Souls also gives you a prompt but to make saves (the ones that are normally created when fast traveling, entering/exiting cells...) and hard saves instead (the ones you can make in the pause menu). For immersion's sake they can be respectively called L) Relax and P) Rest but obviously that wouldn't be up to me to decide. Actual sleeping would remain unchanged. A holotape or MCM menu can be implemented for keybind customization, alternatively allow players to do that through the mod's .ini

That is all, see you around lads

Edited by Ckiimyir

Good idea. Cooking station also. So, if you used a mod like campstie, you could sleep to save or use one of your fire kits to make a campfire and access the cooking pot.

Since there is a chance you might run out of fire kits while out travelling, especially early on in the game, then this would feel kinda balanced compared to having to find a cooking stove, bed or chair.

really love having the option to also save by a fire like in the wticher, and i agree, also 10 out of 10 times u get sick from sleeping in a bed you just mad. (odd) like not losing time when u try to watch the fire or just sitting down to wait.