Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

Kudos to the developers. Installed Vortex; seamlessly transferred 89 FO4 mods from NMM, game and mods all run perfectly.

I was pleasantly surprised. Like the Vortex layout.

Will soon try it on Kingdom Come Deliverance. I tried mods earlier on KCD but they were all rendered useless each time the game was updated.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64272421. #64273976, #64275121, #64282496 are all replies on the same post.

pefragoso wrote: Well, I have been using Vortex since it was made possible to download by regular joes (me included).
I can say that I like Vortex better than NMM, since the threshold for learning it was a lot lower than NMM, and bear in mind that there aren't that many tutorials out there like there are for NMM. Here are my reasons:

1) Since it does a lot of automatic stuff in a smart way, I don't need to worry about checking or moving the load order manually, Vortex does all the dirty work for me, and this is something I value a lot.
2) It has symbiosis with LOOT, SSEdit, FNIS and Bodyslide that makes it super easy to access those programs, maybe some can claim the same way as NMM, but I found it better.
3) I like that you can set different profiles, which you can use to have different "tastes" on your game, and easily change between profiles, that will change all the mods with the click of one button. And this feature never broke my installation, despite my amateur use of it.
4) The user interface is waaaaaaaaay better than NMM, but some "getting used to" is required
5) The dependencies engine rules :)

All in all I think it is a great software, and beats NMM a million billion times.
Thank you guys from Nexus for making such a great tool and sharing it with the world :)
BigBizkit wrote: Thanks a lot for the positive feedback, pefragoso! You touch upon a few things that have been central goals of Vortex development such as using smart automation to lift the burden off of modders. I am sure our Vortex devs will appreciate the nice words. ;)
DragonAgeNut wrote: Hi BigBizkit,
You guys deserve the positive feedback. I've used both NMM and Mod Manager on Skyrim LE and downloaded Skyrim SE as soon as Vortex was made available in alpha. Since then, I've regularly kept Vortex updated and all mods and settings flowed easily from one update to the next. My game currently has 295 active mods and it all works.
As a program, Vortex combines the best elements of NMM and Mod Manager with a user interface that's modern, clean and rich with features. It's like the perfect child of two software parents.
Thank you for taking the time and resources to create this fabulous new tool! :-)
ehf111 wrote: Well said pefragoso ... I too jumped on Vortex alpha and never looked back. I used NMM for a very long time and while it was terrific back in the day it was certainly time to move on. Of course Vortex must be approached with an open mind as it is not the same old NMM in a new wrapper. I would consider myself an advanced NMM user but to me the Vortex learning curve was very simple to navigate. I agree completely with all of your 5 points. Additionally, the thing that hooked me was the little things. So many times while using NMM I would think how great it would be to have this or that simple feature. For example, the fundamental ability to sort data by column. Doesn't sound like much but when your trying to manage 230 mods it really is super helpful. The other thing is problem solving. NMM definitely required "tribal knowledge" to effectively correct issues ... Vortex has problem solving capabilities light years beyond NMM. Problem solving is so fast that you'll spend more time in game as opposed to more time in the mod manager.
So, I hope all will keep an open mind and try Vortex, being sure to stick with it long enough to transcend the learning curve, which as I said above, is not difficult at all. The reward is a much more stable game and more time to play it.
Thanks to the entire team and especially Tannin for delivering a truly forward looking, state of the art product ... well done.

I used vortex like probably 8-9 months ago and had to revert back to NMM due to some "app-breaking" states it had during that time. I'm more of an advanced user who would edit plugins directly using CK/xEdit or create an entirely new mod/plugin for own purposes, but Vortex was late catching up changes and prompted me about the changes several activities after which led to huge confusion. I'm also fond of sorting my own LO to better categorise my plugins but I was told Vortex will not have this feature now and in the future, which I could spare but I'd like to have it tbh. Another one was the hardlinks not conforming with the rules I've set (I think this one has been fixed a month or two ago). Sent a couple of (a lot) bug tickets at the time, I would now try to believe most have been fixed or improved upon.

I only have two problems and a personal gripe with this as it stands right now. This is a good thing that I only have 2 things to complain about.

1. It lacks NMM's ability to virtualinstall from another hard drive. This was a great feature as it let me install skyrim se into an SSD without it eating up all its space due to me liking my 4k texture mods.

2. The import function is...Well. It creates a mess since it creates duplicates of everything you already got installed with nmm as opposed to cleaning up what it's replacing. I ended up having to delete everything nmm installed originally, witch just caused more issues which made me realize it would just be easier to write down everything I had installed before, reinstall through vortex, and figure out the load order again. It's all a design oversight really in my opinion.

Personal Gripe: I miss the trees format for my mods. I know I can just filter by the category, but I just personally liked the trees.

Anyways, it's still a good, slick looking program that loads up and performs tasks a whole lot faster than nmm. I just will be using it for fallout 4 and not skyrim until they figure out how to replicate virtualinstall from another drive because my skyrim mod folder is simply too large to fit on my ssd.

In response to post #64298496.

ltgenklink wrote: I only have two problems and a personal gripe with this as it stands right now. This is a good thing that I only have 2 things to complain about.

1. It lacks NMM's ability to virtualinstall from another hard drive. This was a great feature as it let me install skyrim se into an SSD without it eating up all its space due to me liking my 4k texture mods.

2. The import function is...Well. It creates a mess since it creates duplicates of everything you already got installed with nmm as opposed to cleaning up what it's replacing. I ended up having to delete everything nmm installed originally, witch just caused more issues which made me realize it would just be easier to write down everything I had installed before, reinstall through vortex, and figure out the load order again. It's all a design oversight really in my opinion.

Personal Gripe: I miss the trees format for my mods. I know I can just filter by the category, but I just personally liked the trees.

Anyways, it's still a good, slick looking program that loads up and performs tasks a whole lot faster than nmm. I just will be using it for fallout 4 and not skyrim until they figure out how to replicate virtualinstall from another drive because my skyrim mod folder is simply too large to fit on my ssd.

That's interesting.I would be interested in a response.I have constant problems with Fallout 4 due to NMM I believe and if I transfer to vortex it could fix it.I can't use MO2 for Fallout as it goes over inot my LE skyrim folder and causes problems there that are hard to fix.
Anyway, I hope to read the answers and any fixes that are made over the transfer issue.

In response to post #64242756. #64243356, #64247481, #64248361, #64267641, #64267676, #64268121, #64273936, #64283371, #64288171, #64290786 are all replies on the same post.

DoverWolf wrote: cant import my mods from NMM 65.2 with vortex
Pickysaurus wrote: It can import from NMM 0.63+
DoverWolf wrote: I get this error when trying to import from NMM
No NMM install found with mods for this game. please note only nmm 0.63 is supported
0Anesthetic4u wrote: No it gets mods from .63-.
DoverWolf wrote: Well that sucks they need to add 0.65 support
Tannin42 wrote: It can import from any NMM version starting with 0.63, including 0.65.
However it may be having problems with certain games, which game are you trying to import?
Also: You need to have the game active inside vortex that you want to import, you can't import fo4 mods if you have skyrim activated for example.
DoverWolf wrote: Skyrim SSE

How do i add the game active inside vortex?
tjcinfinite wrote: I'm having the same problem, "no nmm install found" any ideas how to fix it? Vortex finds all my plugins but nothing in mods and can't import since it's acting as if I dont have NMM installed.
Tannin42 wrote: Odd, Skyrim SE should definitively work.
Please create a forum post so we don't have to investigate this in a comments section.
triplex2011 wrote: Also same issue "no nmm install found".. could it be that vortex cant find nmm if nmm is not installed in the default directory (like f:\modding\tools\nmm) ?
Tannin42 wrote: Vortex doesn't look for the NMM installation directory but for the user.config files below %LOCALAPPDATA%\Black_Tree_Gaming and I'm not aware that you could change where those are stored.

Fo4 is the only game I have in Vortex, and it still doesn't even recognize that I have a game at all. Also the Vortex message says

Less then or equal to .63

>= .63 is the exact way it is shown. That is Less then or Equal to.

Also what does it mean by my NMM has to be in an Un-modified location. Why can't I just set the filepath to my NMM. What is the file path it needs to find NMM? I installed this damn thing years ago, and am not sure where it want's NMM to be so it can find it?

Does it just look in the Same file? Because I've tried installing Vortex to the same home file as NMM. I've tried installing it where it wants to go. I've tried installing it in the NMM file it self. Why is this a purely automated process, why can't I as a user just tell it where the damn thing is. I hate automated programs.

My Fo4 won't update because steam is sure it's at the most recent update, even though I'm stuck at version 1.6.3

Just let me do it my damn self! Edited by 0Anesthetic4u

In response to post #64285051.

ghaladh wrote: I truly like the UI and the functionalities of Vortex, it's masterfully done.

The only problem I have is with the download folder: I am not sure I get how it works. I play Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim and I understand that the download folder is the same for both games; am I misunderstanding, or that means that any mod I download will be put together in the same folder, indifferently by the game to which it belongs? If that's the case, I'd rather have two different download folder for my games, in order to keep FNV and Skyrim mods separated from each other.

Vortex should create a different folder for every game in the download folder.

Thank you for your answer.

Hi, I quite like Vortex at the moment, but I am a little confused about adding tools, can I not add xedit just once and have Vortex run it according to the game I'm managing, rather then install 3 times for each of Skyrim, FO3 and FO4? This would make updating xedit a lot easier since I would only have to update one instance.

In response to post #64308816.

dizietemblesssma wrote: Hi, I quite like Vortex at the moment, but I am a little confused about adding tools, can I not add xedit just once and have Vortex run it according to the game I'm managing, rather then install 3 times for each of Skyrim, FO3 and FO4? This would make updating xedit a lot easier since I would only have to update one instance.

You can point all tools to the same instance, but you'll be best to install the tool outside of Vortex.

In the "Command Line" option when editing the tool you can specify which game mode it should start in, for example, Skyrim is "-tesv" and SkyrimSE is "-sse"

In response to post #64308816. #64309126 is also a reply to the same post.

dizietemblesssma wrote: Hi, I quite like Vortex at the moment, but I am a little confused about adding tools, can I not add xedit just once and have Vortex run it according to the game I'm managing, rather then install 3 times for each of Skyrim, FO3 and FO4? This would make updating xedit a lot easier since I would only have to update one instance.
Pickysaurus wrote: You can point all tools to the same instance, but you'll be best to install the tool outside of Vortex.

In the "Command Line" option when editing the tool you can specify which game mode it should start in, for example, Skyrim is "-tesv" and SkyrimSE is "-sse"

Ah, that's a good idea! Does the executable need to be called xedit then? I've only ever installed it before now as one of FO3edit, SSEedit ot FO4edit, didn't know about the command line switches.

In response to post #64308816. #64309126, #64311166 are all replies on the same post.

Pickysaurus wrote: You can point all tools to the same instance, but you'll be best to install the tool outside of Vortex.

dizietemblesssma wrote: Ah, that's a good idea! Does the executable need to be called xedit then? I've only ever installed it before now as one of FO3edit, SSEedit ot FO4edit, didn't know about the command line switches.

xEdit has more detailed documentation but I have run SSEEdit.exe with -tesv parametre and it loaded Classic Skyrim just fine.