Official Vortex Beta Release

Dark0ne

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #64382896.

DONKEYMILK wrote: Is this a browser ?

I was looking at the files in the vortex folder and it looks like chrome browser files.

I'm not sure how i feel about running what is basically a browser ,if true , and not being able to lock it down securely the same way i do with my normal browsers.

I like to have as much control as possible with my info and what gets sent out.

Well, Vortex is indeed built upon browser technology, its UI is built with html, css and js, like web uis and the primary programming language is JS and interpreted by v8, the chrome js interpreter, so your concerns are understandable.

However: All code that Vortex runs is is part of the (signed) application bundle, Vortex doesn't receive any of its executable data from the internet.The only time it gets data from the internet is downloads and requests to the Nexus API, exactly like the other mod managers.
It's possible to open an external webpage from Vortex but that will then be a separate process without access to your disc so it won't be any less secure than your regular webbrowser - plus you get a separate warning in Vortex before it opens an external page (except when its our own wiki or embedded youtube videos and such)

So at the end of the day: No, I don't think Vortex is less secure than NMM or MO. It certainly doesn't send out information about you that NMM/MO didn't.

Made post earlier about the problems I had getting Vortex to work right on a couple of mods. Anyway I did a complete wipe of FNV and NMM and started over. This time everything just worked, not a single problem so far. Running smooth as silk now. Thought I had everything cleaned before the first time but I guess not.

In response to post #64385491. #64411706, #64414166 are all replies on the same post.

calscks wrote: i used vortex when it was in early alpha stage earlier this year, and had to revert back to NMM almost instantly due to some ground-breaking bugs. since it has now advanced to beta i believe the stability would've improved drastically. but i still have one/several major questions.

1. i create a plugin using xEdit/CK. how will vortex react to this? xEdit and CK will save plugin directly into the Data folder.
2. BodySlide can batch build more than one mesh, replacing the original meshes a mod contains. how will vortex react to this activity such as batch building?
3. i pack a texture mod with loose files into ba2 archive. i proceed to delete all textures installed by the mod from the Data folder, then copy the ba2 archive into the Data folder. what will happen? or should I not touch the Data folder at all, and just modifies the mod install path vortex is managing?
calscks wrote: well my questions are left unanswered...guess i'll stick with NMM for another couple of months then.
Pickysaurus wrote: 1 - it goes into the data folder and is not added as a mod entry unless you zip it up and install to Vortex
2 - Vortex will give you the "External changes" dialogue which will tell you which meshes changed and let you choose to save or revert.
3 - if you want to do that for a specific mod I would open the Vortex mods folder to make your changes. O did the same but for extracting BSAs

that's great. this means that whenever i modify the mod folder, the hardlinks will be reflected upon the data folder as well?

"If you have a perfectly functioning load order and stable modded game then we highly recommend you do not move over to Vortex at this time."

ok so in the mean time for those of us not moving to vortex " at this time" is it still possible to get new mods for nmm?

Edited by horusthedragon

In response to post #64443316.

horusthedragon wrote: "If you have a perfectly functioning load order and stable modded game then we highly recommend you do not move over to Vortex at this time."
ok so in the mean time for those of us not moving to vortex " at this time" is it still possible to get new mods for nmm?

NMM works exactly the same as it did before this release, including "download with manager" buttons. We just changed the wording of a few things and link to Vortex as the official Mod Manager instead of NMM.

In response to post #64443316. #64443371 is also a reply to the same post.

horusthedragon wrote: "If you have a perfectly functioning load order and stable modded game then we highly recommend you do not move over to Vortex at this time."
Tannin42 wrote: NMM works exactly the same as it did before this release, including "download with manager" buttons. We just changed the wording of a few things and link to Vortex as the official Mod Manager instead of NMM.

thank you for answering my question so quickly =)

In response to post #64385491. #64411706, #64414166, #64439356 are all replies on the same post.

calscks wrote: i used vortex when it was in early alpha stage earlier this year, and had to revert back to NMM almost instantly due to some ground-breaking bugs. since it has now advanced to beta i believe the stability would've improved drastically. but i still have one/several major questions.

1. i create a plugin using xEdit/CK. how will vortex react to this? xEdit and CK will save plugin directly into the Data folder.
2. BodySlide can batch build more than one mesh, replacing the original meshes a mod contains. how will vortex react to this activity such as batch building?
3. i pack a texture mod with loose files into ba2 archive. i proceed to delete all textures installed by the mod from the Data folder, then copy the ba2 archive into the Data folder. what will happen? or should I not touch the Data folder at all, and just modifies the mod install path vortex is managing?
calscks wrote: well my questions are left unanswered...guess i'll stick with NMM for another couple of months then.
Pickysaurus wrote: 1 - it goes into the data folder and is not added as a mod entry unless you zip it up and install to Vortex
2 - Vortex will give you the "External changes" dialogue which will tell you which meshes changed and let you choose to save or revert.
3 - if you want to do that for a specific mod I would open the Vortex mods folder to make your changes. O did the same but for extracting BSAs
calscks wrote: that's great. this means that whenever i modify the mod folder, the hardlinks will be reflected upon the data folder as well?

Yes, once you confirm the external changes on next deployment.