FO76: No modding till november 2019, at the soonest.

dikr

Interview with Pete Hines here:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-76-how-mods-and-private-servers-work-and-w/1100-6462371/

Gist of it:

"I don't foresee a universe in which we allow players to come in [to Fallout 76's public servers] with their own unique and different mods. If you want to run mods, they'll have to be done on a private server," Hines explained. "You'll be deciding what sort of mods you're including and running, and everyone playing on that server is playing with those mods."

Mods aren't coming to Fallout 76 at launch, however. Hines cautioned that mods may not be supported in Fallout 76 until November 2019 at the soonest. "It's going to be a lot of work. But mods and private servers are definitely coming," Hines said.

It seems we've got more than a year to wait and see how this game will be received and whether it has any long term value apart from eventually playing it with mods.

There's some things that I like:

- Playing with just a few other players on a server, (rather than an entire legion of bunny hopping, emoting lunatics with a bad dress sense).

- The prospect of private servers and mods

- The size and setting of the gameworld

- It's another Fallout title

- According to some stuff I read: you are not so much shoehorned in a roll as 'savior of the galaxy' or leader of factions but rather just another vault dweller. This I like. It MIGHT open up the door for more realistic and immersive roleplaying. Whether you do that by yourself or with friends.

There's some big questions I still have:

- Will there be censorship on mods / will they be hosted on CC only or will third party platforms and open modding still be supported?

- In what way will this game be any different from all the other themepark (m)morpg's which I played before and got really tired of?

- Will there be dedicated RP servers?

And there's stuff which I don't like at all:

- No friendly human npc's (From hearsay because those might confuse players about whether a human actor is an npc or player, lol ... ).

- Gameplay over immersion & lore: re-nuking the wasteland on a daily basis seems really off to me. Yeah big explosions are cool but they need to be very rare to make sense. (Like in Fallout 3).

- One-size fits all pvp resolution, rather than dedicated pvp and pve servers with different rules.

- Seems kind of themeparkish with bread and butter mmo quests and grinding.

- No modding till who knows when.

Anyway, enough reasons to be interested yet very cautious. I learned my lesson in the past by jumping in too early on some titles and I can advice everyone to wait and see how the player feedback will be, at least until a few months after launch.

*off to buy some more post-launch metacritic pop-corn*

Edited by dikr

thanks for the Op-Ed, Dikr.

it was great to read.

this seems a fair reflection.

enough reasons to be interested yet very cautious.

-----

I'm happy they're addressing how mods and

the "Friday night RoleplayingGame Crowd" will be happening,

as that's how a few other MMORPGs function.

that, and we're learning more about Modiphius and even more tabletop Fallout stuff,

so it's good times to be a fallout fan ATM IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

I have watched a few videos but trying to not pay to much attention as I will likely give it a try but I understand your caution. One thing I haven't heard any one talk about is add-ons. If you look at ESO add-on using LUA script really change how that game plays. The elite running the four person content won't even group unless someone has certain add-ons enabled. With add-ons a solo player can accomplish much of the content designed for a four person group as they allow you to maximize how you heal, your burst DPS and damage mitigation. It will be interesting to see if they address the issue or just ignore it entirely.

There is a big difference between "add-ons" and traditional mods which I am pretty sure is what Hines is referring to and what most other people would probably be thinking about that come here. Most add-ons for multiplayer or MMOs are some kind of UI thing. They are something that the game can already do but it just doesn't as the developers decided to do things a certain way, but the information is already available to the add-on maker.

It is difficult to answer as to when there will be mods here on the Nexus for Fallout 76 and what kind will be available and when. As those who have played online MMOs or multiplayer games know some kinds of add-ons and mods aren't allowed at all by some developers. WoW regularly breaks add-ons and if you are caught using some texture or mesh replacers you can get banned from the game as it can give an unfair advantage.

But I think the mods that Hines is talking about would be more like what people are used to here. Mesh and texture replacers to start then perhaps some added content. Minecraft does it via the private server route at times when people play together (though of course single player mods are obviously there too.) But if you are playing multiplayer and wish to use mods then everyone would have to have them one way or the other. I expect they might have to be server side if there is added content or any kind of basic script changes but I don't know.

The Nexus will of course host any mods that Beth is ok with and I don't expect outlandish censorship for someone that is running mods on a private server. But if they do not permit mods to be used until private servers are up vs the lack of mod support typical of when a game is first released and Beth didn't have the GECK or construction set or whatever ready that is a different thing. I think they are probably going to keep things pretty tight until they are ready or just make it impossible to use a mod in the game at all until they are ready. Regardless, they call the shots, not the Nexus and I wouldn't want to lose my Beth account for using something if they say not to do so.

I'm sure those of you that can not stand to play without mods or add-ons or whatever will have to be patient and keep playing Fallout 4 or New California or whatever floats your boat until then.

• 4 weeks later...

After FO76 is out, maybe somebody is able to create a mod for FO4? What I have in mind is the following.

Just take the multiplayer part, modify it in a way that it is more like Minecrafts multiplayer. To host a private server, open or closed on your own rig. That would be great.

Maybe FO76 itself can be modded in way to play it on privately hosted servers? That would really be neccessary because the settlement building system and its inventory space is just broken at best terms and with a private server anyone could implement a mod which fixes that (does not exist now, but I am sure it will).

Looking forward in best hopes of the future ^^

After FO76 is out, maybe somebody is able to create a mod for FO4? What I have in mind is the following.

Just take the multiplayer part, modify it in a way that it is more like Minecrafts multiplayer. To host a private server, open or closed on your own rig. That would be great.

Maybe FO76 itself can be modded in way to play it on privately hosted servers? That would really be neccessary because the settlement building system and its inventory space is just broken at best terms and with a private server anyone could implement a mod which fixes that (does not exist now, but I am sure it will).

SKK50 made a Fallout 76 mod for Fallout 4, it removes all of the NPCS from the game.

SKK50 made a Fallout 76 mod for Fallout 4, it removes all of the NPCS from the game.

Well, that's the bad way around. Nothing I ever want to see ^^

Well I can already say, that I am very interested in running a dedicated RP server, once private servers and modding become a reality.
So the only question is how many people will be interested in playing on an actual RP server, not if there will be some.
As has been said, the game so far is built Gameplay>Lore/RP that could potentially be changed through mods relatively easily (reducing code drop chances, increasing Fallout time)
But still, if you can't implement the Gameplay into the RP, and the Gameplay is too intrusive during RP (which it definitely is with the Enemy spawn rates being what they are)
It may need several mods to give us a nice RP expirience. (And I am so dedicated to get that done once I can)

But we do not know yet how modding will look once it finally comes. Them saying it will be on private servers is actually a good sign... as we can have absolute freedom on private servers.
But they may not actually give us private servers but dedicated servers over Bethesda.Net... In that case, they would heavily monitor what mods exist, and there would probably be censorship.
On the other hand, if we get actual private servers, stuff like F4SE is not yet off the table, if the devs for the script extenders want to work on one.

And if we get a script extender for FO76... well we would generally have the same, if not more functionality to create mods.
So yea, worst case, censored mods and dedicated servers over Bethesda.Net
and best case, complete freedom and basically immediate access to port stuff from FO4.

Also, @Nathan000 I would not get my hopes up for an online FO4... first of all, using assets from one Bethesda game in another is actually not permitted in their terms of use. And the other thing is, the online system of a game like that is far more than just an additive system, we are talking about a system that rules basically everything that happens in the game. And while possible to in theory be ported back to FO4, we'd still need access to the server files. And even then, it would be loads of work. It's more likely that the guys of that online Skyrim mod will finally get it to work and then publish a FO4 version, than porting the online component of FO76 to FO4.

Sorry- no 'modding' EVER in Fallout:76 in the sense anyone here means. At least 'officially' as opposed to hacking into the game (as some are doing today).

Here's what Todd Howard has stated in multiple interviews (recent).

1) By 'private' server, Beth means a server RENTED from a Zenimax server farm, NOT server code running on your own PC.

2) By 'mods', Beth means BETH code downloaded from the Atom Store that changes the gameplay on the 'private' server. For instance an Atom Store 'mod' that you PAY to add 'battle royale' mode to that server you have rented.

The ONLY relation Nexus mods have to this concept is that Beth MIGHT steal some more of the best modders from this site to work on Atom Store 'mods' (where once again such devs would be the lowest paid in the AAA game dev biz- how Todd loves that fact).

Oh, you say- but if the dumpster fire that is Fallout:76 continues its downward spiral, won't Todd be 'forced' to give in to our demands? Sorry, this is the most naive ill-informed opinion possible. This is not how AAA devs work. Ask the many teams that tried to continue supporting defunct games from other publishers, and then had their work shut-down after legal action from those publishers. Beth will seek to maintain complete control even over the rotting corpse of Fallout:76.

There are two scenarios left for Fallout:76- either the revenue from children and vulnerable adults spending hard cash on the rubbish in the Atom Store gives Zenimax an acceptable rate of return after it goes F2P OR Beth shutters the entire project after an 'acceptable' period (which in this biz tends to be a couple of years for mega flops). The 'proof' of Beth's 'faith' in this 'game' will be future 'DLC' releases in 2019 (major new content). If all one gets are sad pre-coded stuff like the 'vaults' 'opening', then Beth has already accepted the game is dead.

So what can Nexus modders do in the meantime.

1) go back to Fallout 4 and give up on the idea of modding a multi-player game.

2) Think of a 'great' mod idea and directly pitch it to Bethesda in the hope they'll "employ" you to make it for their Atom Store.

There is a third alternative, but that is to hack Fallout:76 regardless, and be part of a movement that acts to take the game away from Beth control. But believe me, Nexus won't support this work- Beth will issue legal take-downs even if the game has at that point near zero sales- and hacking when a corporation paints a target on your back has become a very dangerous pasttime in the last few years.

Look, people like me painted a 100% accurate picture of what Fallout:76 would be a day after the E3 reveal- and then pointed out the significance of each of Todd Howard's post announcement statements. The ONLY thing I said that proved not to be true was the idea that you could not play with other selected people.

Even here I did NOT get this wrong. It was Todd Howard's demand all along that you always played with randoms. He wanted this for many reasons- to FORCE emergent role playing- to PROHIBIT teams of power players from stroming thru the game in a day- to PREVENT the random instance of the gameworld you get everytime you log in from being a major downer.

In the end even Todd could not persuade the company to not implement a traditional lobby mechanism, so you CAN play with 'friends'. But that wasn't the idea until very close to the game's release.

Anyway my point is that the naivety shown in this forum is amazing. People still willing to ignore reality after all that has happened and been said. For heaven's sake, I even saw a vid from the lead of Sim Settlements yesterday talking about his modding plans for FO:76. Not only is this time wasted on an utterly fruitless path, but when ther truth stick finally hits you people, you'll likely just give up on all Beth games altogether in disgust. And that would be a real shame.

I get that Fallout 4 lacking multi-player SEEMS to make it a sadder modding target now- but think about just how poor and pointless the multi-player proved to be in Fallout:76. This genre of games just doesn't suit mutli-player. And you cannot bang into the ancient engine good multi-player concepts.

Could there be a GREAT mutli-player game in the vein of the Fallout IP on a new, better engine from another publisher? Of course. But this is not what we have in any way from Beth. Modding a Beth game needs to play to its strengths, not play a game of 'let's dream'.

And if you ignore multiplayer, what does (in theory) FO:76 bring to the table for modders- absolutely NOTHING- a backward step in every way over Fallout 4's now very well supported use of the creation/gamebryo engine. A 'new world' you say? Well didn't Far Harbour and Nukeworld also introduce 'new worlds' yet I did not see Fallout 4 modders rushing to take on those new areas just cos they were new.

The 'dream' of modders 'fixing' FO:76 is just that- a very silly and utterly refuted PIPEDREAM. FO:76 was built from the ground up to be walled off from the Nexus community BY DESIGN. Todd, as he has screamed from the rooftops, wanted ALL 'new' content for FO:76 to be monetised to the max- with all monies going to Beth. As far as Todd has always been concerned, free third party mods steal the very bread from his mouth.

Want a true flavour of Beth's 'thinking re:FO76- go to the Reddit FO76 subreddit (NOT the Fallout one). The FO76 subreddit is fully controlled by Beth (their creation, their moderation lead) and is one of the foulest things I've ever witnessed online. The groupthink that Beth orchestrates there is missing from even the most niche cult games on Steam pages. The FO:76 community is the very opposite of healthy.

In comparison, Fallout:4 is a nice quiet backwater, disowned by Beth after the flop of Fallout 4 VR (and the fact that the very inefficient game ports badly to current 'mobile' devices unlike Skyrim). Beth's last concern with Fallout:4 is ripping console users off with further Creation Club microtransactions- and even that must be fading rapidly now that FO:76 is out.

For Beth, if the Fallout IP has a future, it will be in some Fallout Infinite mobile trash which is but yet another reskinned product from one of the Chinese giants. I now firmly believe Beth will never again release a new traditional open world title. They just do not have anywhere approaching the technical ability to make something acceptable in the future, and while Todd Howard still runs the company, they cannot change.

And for the tenth time I say that leaves us with what Beth has already released with modding tools, ie., Fallout 4 and earlier. Which is not as we would have it, but still a lot better than nothing at all.

Todd's "jam tomorrow MAYBE" is really "cr-p tomorrow at best". Nothing worth waiting for, and certainly nothing worth planning for.