Toolset Question

Iraneth

So I'm fairly new to using DAO Toolset, and I've been searching high and low for a morph that had burn scars on it. My Queen Cousland was left with decent scarring along the left side of her face, neck, and body from a mix of the fires that destroyed the castle and after the Tower of Ishal. I'm just a very visual person and I would love it if I could make a head morph that would portray this, along with maybe a few freckles on the uninjured half of her face.

I'm a little unsure of what program to use to sketch this out exactly, I've seen mentions of GIMP in some of the tutorials I've skimmed. I don't have access to Photoshop, but I mainly use Krita and Pixlr. There's plenty of access to tutorials to help sketch out the actual scars onto the face template, is there any way to combine a custom skin with what I'm planning to do? I sincerely hope this doesn't sound too much like begging, I'm merely interested in learning the necessary steps to figure out the process. Any suggestions/advice is welcome, thank you.