[LE] Various questions - Mod creating problems

nayakri

I have created this topic to stop spamming the whole forum with my random questions and problems - my mod creating is on the very early stage and I believe there are a lot of problems ahead of me. Therefore, I decided to put everything here.

I will ask a question, add description of the problem, and hope some kind soul will try to help me.

Helping me will be credited should my mod be ever finished.

Thank you all!

1. Static weather (possibly solved - needs to be checked)

I want the weather in the College (the courtyard) to be always sunny. I partially succeeded in this: I went to the regions and created a unique one for the College itself BUT there is a problem. Whenever I leave the courtyard (even while going out only on the bridge itself), the weather changes back into snowy and cold in the courtyard. All I need is to teleport and it is sunny again.

I don't want the weather to change at all. Always a clear sky, always sunny during the day. How can I achieve that?

I thought about placing some triggers at the entrance, but I have no idea how to operate with them (I read a lot about them, but frankly, I don' understand how they work).

2. Static weather - Frosfall problem SOLVED

I'm using some additional mods that spawn many ridiculous problems in the College while I'm modding it, but being too lazy to turn them off, I decided to ignore them. But Frostfall is very annoying. It keeps informing me that it is very cold in the courtyard though the weather was changed.

What kind of information Frostfall uses for that? Is it something in vanilla Skyrim I can change? Or is it its own asset?

3. Smoke is visible SOLVED

My first action in the Arcanaeum was to get rid of those ugly horn candles. I encountered a strange thing, though: the smoke is still visible. Is it some vanilla problem? Is there something I'm missing? Or is it one of those forsaken mods I have installed?

4. Ghost script SOLVED

I've been trying to make some NPC spirits/ghosts/familiars to make the College more mystical. I tried using Ghost Script and Is Ghost on Spriggans, but it is not working. I've noticed that spirit creatures have their own race.

Is it even possible to make a ghost creature without making its textures/mesh from the scratch? If its not, how hard would it be for me?

5. Stand only on your spot SOLVED

While we're talking about Spriggans, I tried to make them stand on their own markers. I tied them to Heading Markers and added 5 seconds of idle patrol to make think about where they are and get back on their place if moved by something. But those stubborn creatures are stuck some steps from their markers and, what is more annoying, they keep moving away every time I re-enter the room.

Any way to fix it?

6. Glass texture/material

I've been trying to make glasses from scratch in Blender but encountered impossibility of importing them as NIF to Nifskope. Therefore, I tried my luck with changing simple vanilla cups. But I'm not sure how to change its material in Nifskope to the partially transparent one (colour and the rest of the texture is not a problem for me) and I have NO idea how to make such partially transparent material.

Any advices?

All right, that's it for today. I can't remember my other sins, so I'll stop here. Thanks for helping!

CREDITS (will be later tranferred to main Readme file for my mod)

agerweb

leonardo2

foamyesque

Shivzz0119

Edited by nayakri

For your weather thing you could put a triggerbox covering the whole courtyard and attach a script something like this (don't forget to fill the property) :

Scriptname WeatherTriggerScript extends ObjectReference

Weather Property SetWeather Auto

Event OnTriggerEnter(ObjectReference akActionRef)
if akActionRef == Game.GetPlayer()
;Change to some other weather
SetWeather.ForceActive()

EndIf
EndEvent

Event OnTriggerLeave(objectReference akActionRef)

if akActionRef == Game.GetPlayer()
;Make weather snowy or whatever again
Weather.ReleaseOverride()

Endif

EndEvent

Question about standing spot solved by myself.

Other questions are still open. Anyone? Please?

And I still have to check the weather thing, but I'm stuck at placing books in the Arcanaeum for the last two weeks - it's painful, annoying, and tiring.

Edited by nayakri

The candles have no smoke in the vanilla game, must be a mod. Don't create your own mod with other mods loaded either in the CK or in game unless you need them for some resources or you are patching them. It makes it extremely difficult to debug your own mod and your mod could become dependent on a whole load of mods you didn't intend.

2. Static weather - Frosfall problem

I'm using some additional mods that spawn many ridiculous problems in the College while I'm modding it, but being too lazy to turn them off, I decided to ignore them. But Frostfall is very annoying. It keeps informing me that it is very cold in the courtyard though the weather was changed.

That's your problem and not a problem with Frostfall itself and I agree with what agerweb said. Never open the CK and begin a new mod when having other mods active, unless you need the resources for those loaded mods.

You can work in the CK with whatever mods you like active in Skyrim, and they won't crosswire, but testing things in Skyrim is best done on a clean new game, unless you're either modding specifically to be compatible with another mod or for entirely your own use.

As I understand it, Frostfall looks for the region you're in, and assigns it a temperature range so that even a nice day in the far north is still damn cold compared to even an overcast one down by Riften. I haven't looked deep into the system's workings to see how you might go about convincing it to make an exception for a specific sub-area.

Frostfall does provide occasional 'weather forecast' dialogue which it bases on the weather that mod is currently inflicting on the local world. If your mod or any other changes the weather locally then Frostfall has no way of knowing that. With some reverse engineering you could probably work out how to trap those Frostfall messages. However, if you did that your mod would require Frostfall as a master which is fine if this is for your own personal use but would limit its attraction for other players. Depends on what you want.

Just yesterday I got annoyed by this ridiculous chandelier in the Arcanaeum and decided to get rid of all mods except for textures and Automatic Variants, so this will solve Frostfall and smoke problem.

And other mods are never active in CK when I'm making a mod - this would make completely no sense since I don't need them and want to make my mod as standalone as possible. The problem happens in the game with some ridiculous glitches, jumping books, and dead skeleton that insists on assaulting me every time I teleport to courtyard. But, as I just said, this is over because I'm going to delete all unnecessary mods (they give me also far too many crashes to ignore them any more).

Thank you for your answers! Credits goes to you.

ACTIVE QUESTIONS

Description in the first post.

Ghost script

Glass material/texture

Edited by nayakri

4. Ghost script

I've been trying to make some NPC spirits/ghosts/familiars to make the College more mystical. I tried using Ghost Script and Is Ghost on Spriggans, but it is not working. I've noticed that spirit creatures have their own race.

Is it even possible to make a ghost creature without making its textures/mesh from the scratch? If its not, how hard would it be for me?

Well in my experience, all you need to do is add a magic ability, I think it's called "AbGhost" or something of the sorts to the spriggan and they will take the spectral form.