How To Make a Sword/Prop/Armor for SE since NifSkope does not work properly?

fboBR

I'm new to modding (Developing mods, in fact) and I watched some tutorials on the internet (Most of them from 2012~2015) and I decided to put one of my 3D swords in the game by making a mod. But during these tutorials they use files from Oldrim and NifSkope does not seem to recognize the new files from meshes that came from SE. (New versions of NifSkope does not allow me to import anything from SE as well and the older versions only supports LE files)

I am using blender and watched that I need to use blender 2.49 to export properly, is that right? (The plugin to the updated blender does not seem to take any effect)

Please, I Really want to create my own mods for skyrim. I did It for other games (simple mods) and were not that hard

Edited by fboBR

The "Create a mod for Oldrim, then convert it to SE" approach described by IsharaMeradin definitely works. That's what I've been doing so far.

For this method, you don't neccessarily need the old Blender 2.49. You can also work with the current version of Blender and get an older version of Nifskope (e.g. 1.1.3) for converting meshes. It is still available from Github: https://github.com/niftools/nifskope/releases

Now export your meshes from Blender in 3ds format and import them into Nifskope. Newer versions of Nifskope don't have this option, hence why you need 1.1.3.

If you want to save you some headache, I'd recommend using an already existing .nif file of a similar weapon as a base. E.g. if you've created a sword, that has roughly the same shape as Bethesda's vanilla steel sword, use that steelword nif as a base. Now simply import your meshes in 3ds format, that you saved with Blender. Do some tweaking and adjusting in Nifskope, if necessary. OFC, you might have to tinker with collision meshes later on, but that's fairly advanced stuff. And you might have to create proper collision meshes anyway - with any method of converting.

This tutorial is quite old, but the process described in detail there still works. Beware: THis will result in an "Oldrim" mod that you'll have to "port" to SE later.

Nowadays, there seems to be a second option: Export your work from Blender as .obj file and convert it with Outfit Studio directly to an SE mesh.TBH, I haven't tried this yet:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7046161-in-need-of-help-learning-to-import-custom-weapon-meshes-into-skyrim-sse/?p=64156346

Thanks to CanaanBlackSoul for the update!

The "Create a mod for Oldrim, then convert it to SE" approach described by IsharaMeradin definitely works. That's what I've been doing so far.

For this method, you don't neccessarily need the old Blender 2.49. You can also work with the current version of Blender and get an older version of Nifskope (e.g. 1.1.3) for converting meshes. It is still available from Github: https://github.com/niftools/nifskope/releases

Now export your meshes from Blender in 3ds format and import them into Nifskope. Newer versions of Nifskope don't have this option, hence why you need 1.1.3.

If you want to save you some headache, I'd recommend using an already existing .nif file of a similar weapon as a base. E.g. if you've created a sword, that has roughly the same shape as Bethesda's vanilla steel sword, use that steelword nif as a base. Now simply import your meshes in 3ds format, that you saved with Blender. Do some tweaking and adjusting in Nifskope, if necessary. OFC, you might have to tinker with collision meshes later on, but that's fairly advanced stuff. And you might have to create proper collision meshes anyway - with any method of converting.

This tutorial is quite old, but the process described in detail there still works. Beware: THis will result in an "Oldrim" mod that you'll have to "port" to SE later.

Nowadays, there seems to be a second option: Export your work from Blender as .obj file and convert it with Outfit Studio directly to an SE mesh.TBH, I haven't tried this yet:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7046161-in-need-of-help-learning-to-import-custom-weapon-meshes-into-skyrim-sse/?p=64156346

Thanks to CanaanBlackSoul for the update!

Is there any way I can get these meshes without downloading Oldrim?

​My internet here is a completly crap.

​Will Modded meshes do the trick?

​Besides that, is there any Updated Guide to follow? (For now I have to keep mixing vídeos and I get completly lost, mainly because I never done that before)

I'm new to modding (Developing mods, in fact) and I watched some tutorials on the internet (Most of them from 2012~2015) and I decided to put one of my 3D swords in the game by making a mod. But during these tutorials they use files from Oldrim and NifSkope does not seem to recognize the new files from meshes that came from SE. (New versions of NifSkope does not allow me to import anything from SE as well and the older versions only supports LE files)

I am using blender and watched that I need to use blender 2.49 to export properly, is that right? (The plugin to the updated blender does not seem to take any effect)

Please, I Really want to create my own mods for skyrim. I did It for other games (simple mods) and were not that hard

I Kinda tried that but got lost in the part of associating the game textures. The Interface of most of these softwares are not even close to friendly :tongue:

Edited by fboBR

OFC you can use a sword .nif file from a mod - at least to get an understanding of the process. If you want to publish your mod, I'd consider using other people's meshes (or rather the structure of their meshes) a grey zone. Even if you don't use the weapon itself, it's someone else's work...

Regarding textures: Textures for Skyrim or Skyrim SE need to be in .dds format. This means, if you create custom textures, you will export them to this format. A good freeware solution is GIMP (it's similar to Photoshop) together with its .dds plugin. Or, if you have access to Photoshop, you can download a .dds import/export plugin either from Nvidia or Intel. There's also another freeware program, that can handle .dds files. If I remember right, it's called "Paint.net". It doesn't need a plugin, since the .dds options are already built in.

For your first steps, you can OFC use textures from a mod - or from Skyrim SE. AFAIK, textures from Vanilla SE should work in "Oldrim", too. In general: Don't bother setting up anything in Blender. Getting textures on your custom weapon is in fact done in Nifskope. You can either use the old version you used for converting meshes or the current one (which is IMHO easier to use). Click on the small triangle next to your weapon mesh to expand its properties, until you find "BSLightingshaderProperty". WIthin this property, there's "BSShaderTextureSet". That's where you can assign textures to your mesh.

If you need information on textures in Skyrim/Skyrim SE and what they are used for, refer to this guide:

https://beyondskyrim.org/texturesets/

This overview was written for "Oldrim", but textures in SE basically work the same way.

I know, getting started isn't easy. I'd recommend two things: Open a weapon mesh fro a mod in Nifskope, Klick around, have a look at things, get an understanding of the structure. Then try your own work. If you're getting stuck somewhere, come back and ask specific questions here.

OFC you can use a sword .nif file from a mod - at least to get an understanding of the process. If you want to publish your mod, I'd consider using other people's meshes (or rather the structure of their meshes) a grey zone. Even if you don't use the weapon itself, it's someone else's work...

Regarding textures: Textures for Skyrim or Skyrim SE need to be in .dds format. This means, if you create custom textures, you will export them to this format. A good freeware solution is GIMP (it's similar to Photoshop) together with its .dds plugin. Or, if you have access to Photoshop, you can download a .dds import/export plugin either from Nvidia or Intel. There's also another freeware program, that can handle .dds files. If I remember right, it's called "Paint.net". It doesn't need a plugin, since the .dds options are already built in.

For your first steps, you can OFC use textures from a mod - or from Skyrim SE. AFAIK, textures from Vanilla SE should work in "Oldrim", too. In general: Don't bother setting up anything in Blender. Getting textures on your custom weapon is in fact done in Nifskope. You can either use the old version you used for converting meshes or the current one (which is IMHO easier to use). Click on the small triangle next to your weapon mesh to expand its properties, until you find "BSLightingshaderProperty". WIthin this property, there's "BSShaderTextureSet". That's where you can assign textures to your mesh.

If you need information on textures in Skyrim/Skyrim SE and what they are used for, refer to this guide:

https://beyondskyrim.org/texturesets/

This overview was written for "Oldrim", but textures in SE basically work the same way.

I know, getting started isn't easy. I'd recommend two things: Open a weapon mesh fro a mod in Nifskope, Klick around, have a look at things, get an understanding of the structure. Then try your own work. If you're getting stuck somewhere, come back and ask specific questions here.

WOW, that Will surely help a lot.

âFound some other tutorials about exporting in substance painter (Software that I use) and other stuff Like Blender proper exporting.

âI'll study these and maybe try to upload some of my models to nexus :smile:

âThank you both for the help here, I was Kinda giving up already.