Vortex almost unusable

NobodySignificant

Where do i begin.

I had extremely high hopes for Vortex, because it seemed intelligent and like something that would be easy to understand and use. Unfortunately in its current state i'm forced to uninstall it and continue using NMM instead.

Right off the bat, the Vortex logo looks a lot less pleasant than the Nexus logo. This is a small gripe, but it was annoying enough that i replaced the icon used by the shortcut.

The loading saves some time on the splash screen, but with the UI loading and the mod list loading that time saved is lost again.

After fallout4 was added the program froze for 20 seconds because the deployment method could not be set up, probably because the game was on a different partition.

After setting up the deployment method and the folders, i switched back and forth between shared and non shared mode and got scared when after the change the settings seemed to be gone.

I also couldn't set up the same folders again because the folders had to be empty.

I eventually reverted to the non shared option and started to import mods from NMM.

This is where the real problems started.

With my computer being turned off for an unrelated reason in the middle of importing i was forced to try again and this time i had to click to allow access every single time an already imported file was encountered. It would've been simple to just allow admin access.

Once done with importing i wanted to check whether everything was ported correctly.

To my horror i found that i couldn't organize the mods by category, because the categories were missing on almost all of them. This makes organizing mods impossible.

Having manually skimmed through the mods i found that all of the not previously installed ones had not been ported over.

As for the actual functionality, in Vortex i can see 11 mods at once. In NMM i can see 27, even with the downloadbox pinned. This means about 3 times more scrolling in NMM and a much much reduced amount of mods one can see in a single look, making the finding of individual mods practically impossible without using the search function.

Add to this that the scrollbar is small and barely visible so one can't really tell how far down the list one went, and looking through the modlist becomes an unimaginable pain.

As it stands, NMM might have been less smart and a bit harder to learn to use, but at least it was actually suited for its purpose. Vortex is unfortunately absolutely painful to use for the one purpose it was made for: managing mods.

Please do something. :\

Edited by NobodySignificant

I disagree on one thing, when you said NMM was harder to use.

At least NMM could recognize and deal with my game install being in a different place without me having to manually create folders etc.

Vortex is too complicated for a basic user. Now bear in mind when I say this that I am by far from a basic user. I have an MCSE for those that know. But most of your users are not and forcing them to go through the rigmarole of having to create new folders and redirect Vortex is not good.

Adding a video is a great idea but it doesn't fix the problem.

Add into this that this is a replacement for NMM and yet it failed to correctly "bring over" my mods from 4 different games, and when it did it gave me a very quick error message that meant nothing and suggested nothing as to what went wrong and how to fix it, and you have a piece of software that is not suitable for the purpose.

NMM may have been too basic for some, but vortex is too complicated for the majority.

Where do i begin.

I had extremely high hopes for Vortex, because it seemed intelligent and like something that would be easy to understand and use. Unfortunately in its current state i'm forced to uninstall it and continue using NMM instead.

Right off the bat, the Vortex logo looks a lot less pleasant than the Nexus logo. This is a small gripe, but it was annoying enough that i replaced the icon used by the shortcut.

The loading saves some time on the splash screen, but with the UI loading and the mod list loading that time saved is lost again.

After fallout4 was added the program froze for 20 seconds because the deployment method could not be set up, probably because the game was on a different partition.

After setting up the deployment method and the folders, i switched back and forth between shared and non shared mode and got scared when after the change the settings seemed to be gone.

I also couldn't set up the same folders again because the folders had to be empty.

I eventually reverted to the non shared option and started to import mods from NMM.

With my computer being turned off for an unrelated reason in the middle of importing i was forced to try again and this time i had to click to allow access every single time an already imported file was encountered. It would've been simple to just allow admin access.

Once done with importing i wanted to check whether everything was ported correctly.

To my horror i found that i couldn't organize the mods by category, because the categories were missing on almost all of them. This makes organizing mods impossible.

Having manually skimmed through the mods i found that all of the not previously installed ones had not been ported over.

As for the actual functionality, in Vortex i can see 11 mods at once. In NMM i can see 27, even with the downloadbox pinned. This means about 3 times more scrolling in NMM and a much much reduced amount of mods one can see in a single look, making the finding of individual mods practically impossible without using the search function.

Add to this that the scrollbar is small and barely visible so one can't really tell how far down the list one went, and looking through the modlist becomes an unimaginable pain.

As it stands, NMM might have been less smart and a bit harder to learn to use, but at least it was actually suited for its purpose. Vortex is unfortunately absolutely painful to use for the one purpose it was made for: managing mods.

i completely agree to the point i loved how easy NMM was able to short mods and load over mods with a simple yes click, instead vortex 100% over complicated things when doing this, MO@ does a better job to a point.. i also felt, even tho NMM was buggy as all hell felt it was better, vortex felt to sluggish, and to clunky while being hard to switch profiles and games, i still have a hard time doing this in the Utility, only way i gotten around doing this is to DL a mod so it auto switches profiles for me. speaking of DLing a mod i found it hell of a lot easyer to to find what mods are being downloaded (DL) in NMM and MO/2. my only trouble with MO2 is it dont handle mods like body-slide well.

i over all had to stop Vortex over all atlest for F4 and maybe skyrim se. i was very happy to see the fellow community gave NMM a update, something i did not no.. so if any of u read this thank you.. (IE they could be form/ thread modds..

YEa, Double click on the mod in the mod tab, a window rolls out from the right hand side where you can add the mod to a category.

Did you read any of the FAQs, or Help Files, or built in Help files under SUPPORT, or watch any of the videos?

Where do i begin.

I won't comment on individual points you've made. What I will say, though is I have used MO, MO2 and NMM, and after taking the time to learn Vortex - it most definitely requires you to rethink how to manage categories, groups and conflicts - I won't go back. Vortex is so much easier to manage mods, in my opinion. I am using over 270 mods on Skyrim SE and the game is rock solid.

Take the time to watch the videos, ask questions here, and there's a Wiki, as well.

I agree. I've made a message similar to this. If the full release doesn't have the problems fixed, I'm probably quitting the Nexus, unless they start supporting NMM again. I'd much prefer if they brought the changes in slowly, and then changing the name. If it takes longer, that's understandable, but we would be able to understand it better.

ALSO. To all those people who say that NMM was difficult to understand, I Beg To Differ. NMM did as it was designed to do: Manage Mods. We could easily download mods, they'd be sorted into categories, and could be easily accessible. If that's too much, try modding Minecraft, or Team Fortress 2 for the first time. I've been there, and I hated it, but it's a learning curve we must pass through.

I agree. I've made a message similar to this. If the full release doesn't have the problems fixed, I'm probably quitting the Nexus, unless they start supporting NMM again. I'd much prefer if they brought the changes in slowly, and then changing the name. If it takes longer, that's understandable, but we would be able to understand it better.

ALSO. To all those people who say that NMM was difficult to understand, I Beg To Differ. NMM did as it was designed to do: Manage Mods. We could easily download mods, they'd be sorted into categories, and could be easily accessible. If that's too much, try modding Minecraft, or Team Fortress 2 for the first time. I've been there, and I hated it, but it's a learning curve we must pass through.

How exactly are you CURRENTLY "Supporting" the Nexus?

You're not a paying member, and you joined 9 months ago.

If you actually bothered to READ anything posted on the sight, all of you that are whinging about NMM being gone, would realize how wrong you are, because if you click on the DOWNLOAD VORTEX button, you can also download NMM from that link too.

But, I guess it's much easier to rant about unfounded things rather than actually putting the effort into using some initiative and READING the FAQS, and HELP, section sticky right at the top of this forum.

Also, stop using "WE" when you refer to the people who want to continue to use NMM, you're not speaking for ME or anybody else there Braveheart.

Hadtoregister

Attacking people the way you are is not helping anyone, in fact, attitudes like that will drive more people away.

People using the site are supporting it even if they are not directly helping to pay the bills.

Nexus has ads which you will get income from if people see them or click on them, so even people passing through are helping and people who use the site regularly more so.

I think also you are missing the point of peoples complaints somewhat.

You shouldn't have to watch a series of tutorial videos to do something basic like install a few mods. The current system is far too complicated for your average person and doesn't work right. Of course, because of this, there are going to be a lot of people who prefer the old NMM. I have already gone back to using NMM, but if it continues to not be supported anymore, then I will find another way of dealing with my mods. I go to the nexus because NMM combined with the site makes modding a couple of my games easy, but without NMM I will probably go through another mod manager and site. I would like to stay with Nexus but Vortex is far more complicated than it needs to be, and tbh it just isn't ready atm, and with games being out that aren't supported by Vortex or NMM then I might have to move on.

Hadtoregister

Attacking people the way you are is not helping anyone, in fact, attitudes like that will drive more people away.

People using the site are supporting it even if they are not directly helping to pay the bills.

Nexus has ads which you will get income from if people see them or click on them, so even people passing through are helping and people who use the site regularly more so.

I think also you are missing the point of peoples complaints somewhat.

You shouldn't have to watch a series of tutorial videos to do something basic like install a few mods. The current system is far too complicated for your average person and doesn't work right. Of course, because of this, there are going to be a lot of people who prefer the old NMM. I have already gone back to using NMM, but if it continues to not be supported anymore, then I will find another way of dealing with my mods. I go to the nexus because NMM combined with the site makes modding a couple of my games easy, but without NMM I will probably go through another mod manager and site. I would like to stay with Nexus but Vortex is far more complicated than it needs to be, and tbh it just isn't ready atm, and with games being out that aren't supported by Vortex or NMM then I might have to move on.

But threatening an entire website is somehow "OK"?

People complained about NMM the same way they're complaining about Vortex now.

These people are always going to complain because they hate change. PERIOD.