Vortex almost unusable

NobodySignificant

Vortex only supports NXM files through Chrome. I'll stick with Nexus Mod Manager, thanks.

Except it doesn't.

Try using facts before saying something completely wrong.

I don't even have Chrome installed on my system, because Vortex doesn't use, or NEED Chrome.

Where are you people getting this nonsense from?

There's a fix for people who use chrome, but chrome is in no way a requirement, and vortex in no way "only supports NXM files through Chrome"

Guest deleted34304850

hadtoregister is one of the most helpful posters on the nexus, and i can tell you, he does not "attack" anyone.

the post he responded to is full of passive-aggressive threats and absolutely wrong conclusions being passed off as truth.

when people are faced with change, they don't like it, and they react in very weird ways. one of those ways is to spread misinformed opinions and fallacies as their version of the truth. this is dangerous and needs to be tackled head on.

a lot of the issues people are facing with this transition can be remediated very easily, but it requires a little bit of reading and understanding, which seems to be beyond those who are coming out with absolute gibberish issues and reasons which have manifested themselves, not because of vortex, but because plainly, they lack the very basic skills required to make the transition go well.

the bottom line here is this;

no-one is being forced to use vortex, they have been told in several locations if they have a set up that works, don't change it for the sake of change. nmm is still available and still works. i sincerely doubt that will change until the day when certain api calls are modified which will cause nmm to be either obsolete, or updated to deal with the new api calls. but it hasn't gone anywhere. people are just frustrated and coming out with gibberish because they didnt take backups, and didn't take the required steps to make sure their transition went smoothly.

hadtoregister and a couple more people in these forums deserve your support for trying to help people over their issues, not being called out when they see something that is so blatantly misinformed, because you want to sit on the high moral ground for a bit.

Hadtoregister

Attacking people the way you are is not helping anyone, in fact, attitudes like that will drive more people away.

People using the site are supporting it even if they are not directly helping to pay the bills.

Nexus has ads which you will get income from if people see them or click on them, so even people passing through are helping and people who use the site regularly more so.

I think also you are missing the point of peoples complaints somewhat.

You shouldn't have to watch a series of tutorial videos to do something basic like install a few mods. The current system is far too complicated for your average person and doesn't work right. Of course, because of this, there are going to be a lot of people who prefer the old NMM. I have already gone back to using NMM, but if it continues to not be supported anymore, then I will find another way of dealing with my mods. I go to the nexus because NMM combined with the site makes modding a couple of my games easy, but without NMM I will probably go through another mod manager and site. I would like to stay with Nexus but Vortex is far more complicated than it needs to be, and tbh it just isn't ready atm, and with games being out that aren't supported by Vortex or NMM then I might have to move on.

But threatening an entire website is somehow "OK"?

People complained about NMM the same way they're complaining about Vortex now.

These people are always going to complain because they hate change. PERIOD.

They don't hate change. It's just Vortex may be flawlessly designed to manage mods and sometime in the future we will all use it. But as of today, Vortex is extrememly inconsistent with its bugs and errors. Some people who just click everything that lights up have flawless mod management and not a single little error, some (including me) have read the FAQs, know what every button does, but still struggle with Vortex. Earlier this day Vortex broke Skyrim for the 4th time since it was installed in September. It seems like there is no pattern in who gets the bugs and errors, no common factor shared by these unfortunate fellows. It's as though the bugs are COMPLETELY random. I have been getting problems because my deployment method magically changes by itself, and the fact that Movement method is so experimental that it doesn't work at all. It just breaks the game when you deploy using this method. At least Vortex has this fancy new gui, right?

NMM on the other hand has the basic feature of not breaking every other deployment. It is very easy to view your mod list, sort and assign categories, view plugins and mAnUaLly change the load order. Like, using your preference and arrow keys, not the extrememly slow autosort that is supposed to be LOOT.

Every time I broke my game with NMM, I found out in the end that it was my fault. Vortex just breaks your setup by itself. NMM is just a tool that does its job flawlessly. Vortex is trying to take matters in its own hands, disallows ANY kind of interference (by disallows I mean asks if the interference was ok and then breaks your game regardless of the answer), and breaks everything.

In its current state Vortex is completely random with its bugs and errors. It should have never been made public and available for download. It is just a Russian Roulette with fancy user interface and half the rounds loaded with game-breaking bugs.

Edit: And no, I dont hate change. I was delighted when I found out about Vortex's existence. I hoped it would be at least not littered with bugs that MAY or MAY NOT occur.

Edited by iensteni

They don't hate change. It's just Vortex may be flawlessly designed to manage mods and sometime in the future we will all use it. But as of today, Vortex is extrememly inconsistent with its bugs and errors. Some people who just click everything that lights up have flawless mod management and not a single little error, some (including me) have read the FAQs, know what every button does, but still struggle with Vortex. Earlier this day Vortex broke Skyrim for the 4th time since it was installed in September. It seems like there is no pattern in who gets the bugs and errors, no common factor shared by these unfortunate fellows. It's as though the bugs are COMPLETELY random. I have been getting problems because my deployment method magically changes by itself, and the fact that Movement method is so experimental that it doesn't work at all. It just breaks the game when you deploy using this method. At least Vortex has this fancy new gui, right?

NMM on the other hand has the basic feature of not breaking every other deployment. It is very easy to view your mod list, sort and assign categories, view plugins and mAnUaLly change the load order. Like, using your preference and arrow keys, not the extrememly slow autosort that is supposed to be LOOT.

Every time I broke my game with NMM, I found out in the end that it was my fault. Vortex just breaks your setup by itself. NMM is just a tool that does its job flawlessly. Vortex is trying to take matters in its own hands, disallows ANY kind of interference (by disallows I mean asks if the interference was ok and then breaks your game regardless of the answer), and breaks everything.

In its current state Vortex is completely random with its bugs and errors. It should have never been made public and available for download. It is just a Russian Roulette with fancy user interface and half the rounds loaded with game-breaking bugs.

Edit: And no, I dont hate change. I was delighted when I found out about Vortex's existence. I hoped it would be at least not littered with bugs that MAY or MAY NOT occur.

And after having spent time with Vortex for a few months, what used to takes minutes in NMM now takes seconds for me with Vortex.

I literally have several tabs open of mods I want to install and have them all downloading concurrently and enable them, and deal with any file conflict if Vortex reports one, otherwise, I'm free to move on and continue browsing for more mods, while Vortex installs, and properly sorts my load order while I'm read another mod description and deciding to download a mod or not.

I also don't have to worry about accidentally physically overwriting a mods files because I can easily experiment with load order without having to install/uninstall/reinstall overwritten files, because Vortex keeps track of them individually, so if I change the load order of two texture mods, and I find I should being having Mod B overwriting Mod A, I simply move Mod B ABOVE Mod A, and Vortex removes the proper files, and replaces them with the proper ones, without me having to move any files manually.

You can't do that with NMM.

I can view my mod list in Vortex, I can view Plugins in Vortex, I can assign Categories to Mods in Vortex, I can turn off AutoSort in Vortex.

If you actually did spend time reading FAQS, you would've known all of the things you listed off, Vortex is capable of.

My installs handled by Vortex are like so:

Fallout 3 - 115 mods and growing

Fallout New Vegas - 127 mods

Fallout 4 - 252 mods

Skyrim - 176 mods

I have yet to run into any of these 'bugs and errors' people who have only half-tried Vortex seem to be running into.

I'll chalk them up to user error.

Also, if NMM is so 'flawless', I suggest you read the support forum for it.

Pretty much the same people having the same problems with NMM they're having with Vortex,

PEBCAK.

And after having spent time with Vortex for a few months, what used to takes minutes in NMM now takes seconds for me with Vortex.

I literally have several tabs open of mods I want to install and have them all downloading concurrently and enable them, and deal with any file conflict if Vortex reports one, otherwise, I'm free to move on and continue browsing for more mods, while Vortex installs, and properly sorts my load order while I'm read another mod description and deciding to download a mod or not.

I also don't have to worry about accidentally physically overwriting a mods files because I can easily experiment with load order without having to install/uninstall/reinstall overwritten files, because Vortex keeps track of them individually, so if I change the load order of two texture mods, and I find I should being having Mod B overwriting Mod A, I simply move Mod B ABOVE Mod A, and Vortex removes the proper files, and replaces them with the proper ones, without me having to move any files manually.

You can't do that with NMM.

I can view my mod list in Vortex, I can view Plugins in Vortex, I can assign Categories to Mods in Vortex, I can turn off AutoSort in Vortex.

If you actually did spend time reading FAQS, you would've known all of the things you listed off, Vortex is capable of.

My installs handled by Vortex are like so:

Fallout 3 - 115 mods and growing

Fallout New Vegas - 127 mods

Fallout 4 - 252 mods

Skyrim - 176 mods

I have yet to run into any of these 'bugs and errors' people who have only half-tried Vortex seem to be running into.

I'll chalk them up to user error.

Also, if NMM is so 'flawless', I suggest you read the support forum for it.

Pretty much the same people having the same problems with NMM they're having with Vortex,

PEBCAK.

Then I am happy for you, you got the empty chamber of the Roulette. I got the loaded one. And I know what Vortex is capable of, that's why I was so delighted when I found out about Vortex. Regarding the autosort: I have LOOT.exe installed and I also obviously have the Vortex's LOOT. The standalone one sorts a lot faster than the built-in one. It also shows ITMs, shows wether two plugins are incompatible, but Vortex also does that, it also shows wether there is a patch for two plugins available for download. Why is the built-in one much slower? Is that normal, or just another loaded chamber?

Then I am happy for you, you got the empty chamber of the Roulette. I got the loaded one. And I know what Vortex is capable of, that's why I was so delighted when I found out about Vortex. Regarding the autosort: I have LOOT.exe installed and I also obviously have the Vortex's LOOT. The standalone one sorts a lot faster than the built-in one. It also shows ITMs, shows wether two plugins are incompatible, but Vortex also does that, it also shows wether there is a patch for two plugins available for download. Why is the built-in one much slower? Is that normal, or just another loaded chamber?

Vortex sorting isn't slow, it sorts almost instantaneously, it does take around 30-45 seconds to DEPLOY (write) the order, that's because it's using hardlinks, which LOOT doesn't do.

(If you are referring to the spinning segmented circle that appears to the right of MODS and PLUGINS, that's not Sorting, that's writing/deploying)

Using standalone LOOT with Vortex is redundant.