Issue with Vortex showing only plug ins not mods...

execpro22

I recently re-installed Fallout 4 thru steam on my pc. I no longer have NMM on my pc, but when I checked the Steam data file for Fallout 4 it still had all of my mods in it. I decided to try Vortex so I installed it and now my mods DONT show up in the mods tab, but the plug ins tab has a bunch of stuff.

Not sure what I should do as some of the mods are working, but some are not. Is there a way to make these plug ins show up in mods or should I just delete them all in plug in tab on vortex and then just manually download them all again from Nexus mods?

Just to be clear, you mean you just uninstalled NMM and installed Vortex without doing anything else? Because you very may have well broke your game.

You should have installed Vortex, used the "migrate from NMM" option, then deleted NMM and the NMM downloads.

Anyway, does your game work? If it does, it just means that your mods are still installed, but Vortex won't be able to manage them because they're installed in a different way, and not hardlinks like Vortex does (so you pretty much have to do a clean reinstall of your game at that point). If you have the archives from the old NMM installation still on your PC, you can drag and drop those to Vortex who will copy it to it's own folder tree, after which you can delete them from the place where NMM used to download them.

@ OP, do you have the Steam cloud ON ? If so, all of your saved games will be added to Vortex and personally, I do not like that. Probably your mods are still in the data file in Steam because you have cloud on. To avoid confusion on your end, I would turn it OFF, make sure that you delete all game traces from Steam and your PC and restart fresh. Install your game as you would, play it till you get out of the Vault. Set your .ini files to mod your game. Clean your master / DLC via Xedit.

( Also, I never imported from NMM. I uninstalled my games, delete all traces and uninstalled NMM and LOOT )

Then I started to download / install / enable ( deploy ) all my mods one by one from Nexus ( not Vortex ). In Vortex, under Settings / Downloads, make sure Handle is ON ... do not use MOD MANAGER tab to download your mods.

Go to Nexus, to your game mods and start downloading your mods directly from Nexus.

Make sure that you have auto-deploy ON and auto-sort ON in Vortex.

Once you download a mod, click on Install and Enable the mod. If you have Auto-sort ON, your plugins will sort automatically in the Plugins tab.

Remember that if you use Auto-sort, you should not use LOOT to sort your load order. LOOT is integrated into Vortex auto-sort so you do not need to use both and my recommendation is to trust Vortex auto-sort. Give it a shot.

Last but not the least, place all of your patches into the Dynamic Patching Group. DO NOT monkey around with all of the groups. Trust Vortex please. For now, leave all your mods in the Default Group ( or wherever Vortex place them ... EXCEPT for the patches as I stated before ). To do this, in the PLUGINS section, double-click on your patch, a pane will open to the right of that plugin, drop the arrow and choose Dynamic Group and close the pane by clicking on the bottom of it where the >> are. That patch has been added to the Dynamic Group. Repeat and do the same for all of your patches and FORGET about the rest of the plugins being in the DEFAULT or any other group. Trust Vortex.

In the future, when you get used to Vortex and you feel confident about how to handle Groups, go ahead and do whatever you want but I am pretty sure that most likely you won't need to tweak anything in that section.

No issues here doing this procedure.

It sounds like when you removed NMM, you didn't uninstall it's mods first so it left them behind in your game folder.

The safest process to remove NMM after the migration is documented here: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Migrating_to_Vortex_from_another_Mod_Manager

It's also accessible through the Support section of Vortex itself.

So, Just to clear things up, the reason I dont have NMM on my PC anymore is I did a reformat on my pc awhile ago. I do have the cloud turned on so that must have saved all the mods in my data folder so when I installed FALLOUT4 this time it had them already in here. Then I downloaded Vortex.

I guess my question has been answered though. I basically have to do everything from scratch to get my mods working on vortex. I was just hoping there was a way to make these plug ins load into the mods tab on Vortex, but I realize now that I must do a fresh install of mods. Thanks for the help guys.