You'll need to get a new app to open this nxm error

UberPlaysSkyrim

Guest deleted34304850

think it might be done by an anti-virus or other sort of "protection" program. it detects that a file being downloaded has a .exe suffix, and simply renames it to something else. as protection goes, it's pretty lame. if i were the OP, i would examine the programs on my system and look for the piece of garbage that does that, in order to "protect" my system, and remove it.

in reply to the OP, you won't get the most detailed answer available because of a couple of things;

1. the people helping you probably don't have the same software as you do on their systems, and so are somewhat unaware of the problem you're facing.

2. the way you described your problem is somewhat vague - not your fault - you're describing what you see what you know, but there are bits of the puzzle missing.

3. the people helping you are not elitist in any way, shape or form. rather the contrary. someone elitist would reply with something akin to "learn to mod" and leave it there. they wouldn't offer potential solutions to a very vague issue.

4. once you have resolved your issue, why don't you contribute to making a solution easier to find by fully documenting what you did, what happened when you did it, and how your changes helped you to overcome your issue? pay it forward, so to speak?

As a general advice: Stay clear of so-called "security suits", "optimizing suits" and other voodoo software. Including virus scanners.

They always tinker with the system in an unpredictable way, often ruining basic system functions on the way. Many, if not most problems people have with Windows - especially when updating - are caused by these "security tools".

These days, Windows is quite competent to protect and manage itself, if you just let it do its job. Of course, it still can't protect you from bad mistakes, like starting an executable from an unknown source, but that's always on you anyway.

A third-party virus scanner just gives you a false sense of security, which makes people think "oh well, I can just start this attachment on this mail, I'm safe, because I have this security software installed!" ... and BAM!.

So I also ran into this problem and as I am not especially computer minded this thread was spectacularly unhelpful as Hadtoregister's "helpful" screenshots were already completed so far as I was able to tell.

If anyone else finds the above solutions don't work what fixed it for me was to run a manual download into a otherwise empty folder. In my case the SSE Unofficial patch was downloaded as "unconfirmed 206381.crdownload" but I suspect this is simply a different form of the .35 file extension from a previous post, in response to the gentleman asking for specifics I run Windows 10 Home using the avast antivirus, and was downloading through google chrome.

Since you know this file is otherwise useless rename .crdownload extension to .nxm

Rightclick the file and open the properties, where it says open with click change, show more apps --> select app from my PC ---> select the Vortex.exe file

Download using the vortex button to check this fix has worked.

So I also ran into this problem and as I am not especially computer minded this thread was spectacularly unhelpful as Hadtoregister's "helpful" screenshots were already completed so far as I was able to tell.

If anyone else finds the above solutions don't work what fixed it for me was to run a manual download into a otherwise empty folder. In my case the SSE Unofficial patch was downloaded as "unconfirmed 206381.crdownload" but I suspect this is simply a different form of the .35 file extension from a previous post, in response to the gentleman asking for specifics I run Windows 10 Home using the avast antivirus, and was downloading through google chrome.

Since you know this file is otherwise useless rename .crdownload extension to .nxm

Rightclick the file and open the properties, where it says open with click change, show more apps --> select app from my PC ---> select the Vortex.exe file

Problem is, the extension for the Unofficial Patch is 7z, a 7zip file, naming it nxm isn't going to let you do anything with it.

I suggest you get rid of Avast Antivirus that keeps renaming your files "206381.crdownload"

That's the last time I'll help you though, given your attitude.

I posted the screenshot to help anybody else in the future who reads this thread, that's why I said "For Future Reference"

But hey, nice attitude it will definitely help drive away the people who regularly try to help.

Hi, just wanted to throw in here that I ran into an issue with the .35 extension and it was this thread that has helped me solve it. Something about this should probably be in the FAQs (took me almost a half hour to find this). And for me, actually, it was the Vortex installer that came down as the .35 extension file, so haven't been able to get further than that (until now).

That said, I believe it may be related to the browser, not the AV. I'm running Win 7 64, and typically just use IE 11. The installed AV software is the corporate version of Microsoft's AV, System Center Endpoint Protection. I've been able to download plenty of other .exe files without having the AV software rename them. Additionally, when I click the manual download link for Vortex on Nexus, the file name already has the .35 extension on it when the browser is confirming the download. When I switched to Firefox, the download came down as the proper .exe.

• 1 month later...

Problem is, the extension for the Unofficial Patch is 7z, a 7zip file, naming it nxm isn't going to let you do anything with it.

I suggest you get rid of Avast Antivirus that keeps renaming your files "206381.crdownload"

That's the last time I'll help you though, given your attitude.

I posted the screenshot to help anybody else in the future who reads this thread, that's why I said "For Future Reference"

But hey, nice attitude it will definitely help drive away the people who regularly try to help.

Thank you Ensisdemorte. You provided the solution.

The issue is not with avast or Vortex but rather with windows 10. The dialog box created by the Windows 10 OS does not provide the option to associate .nxm files to Vortex on a download link ( it wants you to look for the program on the ?Windows Store, for whatever reason) This dialog box may still pop up regardless if you selected the option in Vortex to associate Vortex with those links ( using the Google Chrome fix didn't do anything for me either.)

The .crdownload is a placeholder name for files that are being currently downloaded or incompletely downloaded by chrome. For future reference.

The fix is easy. Create any kind of blank file and change it's extension to nxm. Then, open the file and go to where Vortex is installed on your computer, usually "C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex" and select Vortex.exe

Windows 10 will now recognize .nxm files as Vortex files.

So while HadToRegister is technically right in saying that the Unofficial Patch is a 7z file, he's incorrect about naming a file nxm, as that is the exact way to resolve this issue.

Figured I'd highlight that for future reference.

• 2 months later...

Tried ryseely's fix, did not work.

I switched from NMM to vortex today and was downloading with the mod manager button fine until I uninstalled NMM. Immediately started getting this error an all attempts. Created a .nxm and associated it with Vortex and still received the error.

I'm stuck at this point, just thought that this might be useful information.

• 1 month later...

this actually helped me since my computer was turning the file into a .143 instead of .exe and since I had extensions hidden I didn't even realize that this could be the problem. changing it to .exe fixed everything.

I don't think I could tell you much about my system not very savy and between me and my brothers who knows what has been done to the computer.

Tried ryseely's fix, did not work.

I switched from NMM to vortex today and was downloading with the mod manager button fine until I uninstalled NMM. Immediately started getting this error an all attempts. Created a .nxm and associated it with Vortex and still received the error.

I'm stuck at this point, just thought that this might be useful information.

Uninstalling NMM, unassociated NXM files with Windows 10.

By changing this setting to ON, in Vortex, it will associate Vortex with NXM links, so you can use the "Download with Manager" button

Vortex-NXM-Setting.jpg