Vortex will not download from nexusmods

Halokitty

Hi, I've been trying to download anything at all with Vortex for the last hour or so and I cannot get it to cooperate. I do have it configured to handle nexus links, and I've pinged the nexus download server and had no issues with that. When I click the "mod manager download" link on nexus the popup window opens stating the download is starting, which it does not. Clicking the download button on the pop-up does not work either, Vortex does not open, nor does it attempt to download anything. Even switching back over to NMM and having it attempt to manage the download didn't work either, it seems like no matter what I do I cannot get the application to handle the links. Manually downloading files and installing them with Vortex does seem to work so that at least functions correctly. Any suggestions?

Have you tried clicking the link with Vortex already open? If it's not working with NMM either that sounds like you may need to apply the Chrome fix (explained in settings), found under the Download section of the Vortex settings.

Try a different browser and see if it works there.

I've tried clicking the link with Vortex open, I've tried copying over the download url into Vortex, and I've been using firefox so far. Edge seems to work now that I've fiddled with it a bit, but I do not know why firefox would not. Chrome also seems to work with no issues, firefox does not seem to be able to cooperate with Vortex. Are there any plugins that could be getting in the way?

It's entirely possible that your Firefox plugins or settings may be affecting Vortex's ability to download. It may be worth trying to start the download in a Firefox private tab, ensuring no plugins are loaded, to test.

Also, when you start a Vortex download from Firefox, you should see a message box similar to this:
qR1VR0i.png

If you're not seeing that, you may want to review Firefox's application settings to ensure that NXM links aren't being mishandled.

I'm having the exact same issue with Firefox. Everything was working fine last night but won't work today. The NXM setting in Firefox is correct but the mod will not actually download although Firefox history shows that it has. I tried using both MS Edge and Commodo Dragon and the downloads came through with no problems. Whatever is wrong must be a problem with Firefox. Maybe they deployed an update that is causing the issue.

same issue, works for first, u reach cap then vortex just stalls out and even restarting it (or pc) will not download. EVEN if the previous download is finished. Vortex is really more hassle than its worth, why was NMM tanked?

Seriously, beyond looking 'nicer' than nmm, its a total mess. It refuses to download, and if you do it manual it is a headache making sure it finds the right file, and often its crying for updates to mods where its already gone and installed EVERY version you may have happen to have sitting in your mod folder. I haven't played fo4 for a few months, and wanted to just jump in and play for a bit, but this has turned into a god-damn 5 hour 'file juggle' session. (I can't even use nmm now because sadly fo4 updated and I have to redo f4se which lead to all of this...)

The 'import' function almost worked, but resulted in the above, with it 'installing' older versions ontop of newer ones, causing them to bork out. Should have stayed in beta for a bit longer guys, no offense.

Edited by AtmaDarkwolf

Salut! Je suis nouveau sur pc. Je suis un gamers ps4. J'ai acheté fallout4 goty sur steam et je veux des mods amusants, mais je ne suis pas capable de télécharger les mods sur vortex car ce n'est pas moi qui ai réussi à les transférer sur d'autres fichiers. J'aimerai des informations pour m'aider à régler mon problème, merci!

• 1 month later...

Right...

1. Vortex is in beta, it came out of alpha less than half a year ago.
  2. If you bothered to even click the button that leads to the file page, and read it, you would've read that Vortex is in beta, and that if you already have a stable setup, that switching to Vortex is optional.
  3. The button at the top labelled "Install Vortex" leads you to a page that, if you scroll all the way down, tells you where you can find the community supported version of NMM.

Now, you say that it's not a browser issue, so, with Firefox, you went to Options>General, and looked for Applications, changing the nxm extension to Always Ask to forcibly bring up the dialog to ask you want program you want to open the link with?

Also, you said that it reached the cap. What cap are you referring to? Are you referring to the speed cap, where unless if you're premium, you download at a max of 1 MB/s? Or are you talking about the downloads not working because they have been sitting there for more than 5 hours? From what I understand, there's been a change in the API, so that if a download link actually starts the download 5 hours after the program added it in, it won't work, because the link expired. The program doesn't keep it active.

With that said, what version of Vortex are you on? Where is the game installed? What are your mod staging folder and download folder set to? What is the deployment set to? Do you have advanced mode turned on? Have you disabled Window's User Account Control? Are you trying to run Vortex as administrator?

• 10 months later...

Run Firefox in Admin mode to fix.

Follow these instructions:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-firefox-behavior-when-open-file

You can close firefox window after you open the window as per the instructions.

Open the handlers.json folder from the window that you opened as per the instructions.

Find text starting with:
"nxm":{"action":2,"handlers":[{"name":"Vortex.exe","path":"C:\\Program Files\\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\\Vortex\\Vortex.exe"}]}

Delete and save handlers.

Open firefox in admin mode again, and problem should resolve itself.

You should be able to use firefox in normal mode afterwards.

Solved it for me.