Marijuana prohibition, Gun rights, Censorship.

pricelessppp

I think it's partly because of the war on drugs in 1970's. Back then the word "drug" and drug users were associated with words like "wrong" or "evil", and to some it still is to this day. I'd say many of the politicians today that are against recreational marijuana or drugs overall is the product of the war on drugs. People were taught to hate drug users and saw them as filthy or evil people. I think in the near future however, we will see a shift in the drug politics and see people become more open-minded as we learn more about the benefits of certain drugs. I believe weed is just the beginning of this.

We are already seeing the pendulum swing on the drugs front. 10 years ago, even decriminalization was pretty much unheard of. Now, several states have already legalized pot, even for recreational use. (it seems folks have discovered that it generates a fair bit of tax revenue.......)

Pot was regulated, but, still pretty much legal, up until about 1937, then it was used as a club against immigrant labor..... Which, of course, didn't really work......

Personally, I think the US should legalize, and regulate ALL recreational drugs. Use the tax revenue to support rehabilitation services for those that want it. The rest will pretty much take care of themselves in fairly short order. It would deprive organized crime and gangs of a major revenue stream, thus, all reducing crime......

Why do people think Medical & Personal weed use is somewhat criminal?

Marijuana can cause addiction and also cause harm on people's health. That's why marijuana was illegal. They legalize marijuana due to that they saw huge potential profit on it... whatever it is for good or bad reasons.

why do politicians use tragedy's to forward their censorship like face-book bans & plublic censorship & gun control agenda's?

Using a tragedy scenarios is a just another tactic for politicians or any other leaders to convince people that their ideals/plans/agenda are good one. Whether you believe them or not, it is all up to you or maybe the majority of the population....

Marijuana can cause addiction and also cause harm on people's health. That's why marijuana was illegal. They legalize marijuana due to that they saw huge potential profit on it... whatever it is for good or bad reasons.

why do politicians use tragedy's to forward their censorship like face-book bans & plublic censorship & gun control agenda's?

Using a tragedy scenarios is a just another tactic for politicians or any other leaders to convince people that their ideals/plans/agenda are good one. Whether you believe them or not, it is all up to you or maybe the majority of the population....

Bad for you has nothing to do with why pot is illegal. If that was the case, alcohol, and tobacco would also be illegal. (along with a host of other things that are FAR worse for you.)

Marijuana is only addictive when other substances are added, which is common among back alley dealers. Otherwise marijuana itself has no addictive qualities. Can it cause some addiction is possible but these addictions rely more on personality then what is in the plant and at that point it becomes a personal issue rather then an issue with the actual plant.

It's like saying herbal tea or fruit is addictive, people make a habit of drinking and eating both regularly and sure with drinking/eating too much you can enter into a state where it becomes unhealthy but that's basically everything. Even stuff like video games, binge watching tv/movies and reading books constantly can be bad for you but they aren't inherently addictive on their own.

For gun control it's because current gun laws are not working as there has been a rise in shootings all over the country, proper gun safety training is also not properly taught. For instance in Japan it's hard to get a gun and owning one requires you to take several educational classes every year, turn in your weapon to police for inspection, getting psych evaluations regularly and you can only own a certain amount of bullets. Iirc in Switzerland you can own any gun you want but bullets have to be kept at shooting ranges.

Politicians that say stuff like "We need to invest more into mental illness" or "we need to monitor people more" are looking out for weapon manufacturers and the NRA who have spent millions to the point the NRA is now facing bankruptcy to politicians to divert from real issues. They're empty promises of trying to fix things.

Edited by CiderMuffin

Marijuana is only addictive when other substances are added, which is common among back alley dealers. Otherwise marijuana itself has no addictive qualities. Can it cause some addiction is possible but these addictions rely more on personality then what is in the plant and at that point it becomes a personal issue rather then an issue with the actual plant.

It's like saying herbal tea or fruit is addictive, people make a habit of drinking and eating both regularly and sure with drinking/eating too much you can enter into a state where it becomes unhealthy but that's basically everything. Even stuff like video games, binge watching tv/movies and reading books constantly can be bad for you but they aren't inherently addictive on their own.

For gun control it's because current gun laws are not working as there has been a rise in shootings all over the country, proper gun safety training is also not properly taught. For instance in Japan it's hard to get a gun and owning one requires you to take several educational classes every year, turn in your weapon to police for inspection, getting psych evaluations regularly and you can only own a certain amount of bullets. Iirc in Switzerland you can own any gun you want but bullets have to be kept at shooting ranges.

Politicians that say stuff like "We need to invest more into mental illness" or "we need to monitor people more" are looking out for weapon manufacturers and the NRA who have spent millions to the point the NRA is now facing bankruptcy to politicians to divert from real issues. They're empty promises of trying to fix things.

I agree with your points on MJ. However, the guns thing? Not so much.

Yes, violent crime in general has increased in the last two years. Murders went from 4.4/100,000 people, to 5.3/100,000 people. Of course, most of those murders happen in large cities, with gang issues. Still and all, violent crime is WAY down from it's peak in the early 90's. I would also point out that most of those murders are committed by folks that are using illegal guns, (stolen, whathaveyou) and are also breaking laws simply by being in possession of a weapon. Passing more laws isn't going to make any difference. We need to ENFORCE the laws that are already on the books.

I think marijuana was first looked down upon because of the assumption that 'recreational = bad'. The criminalisation and war on drugs simply made people turn to shady methods to obtain it, making it and its users look even worse in the public eye. When evidence pointed to the contrary, some people didn't want to change their existing assumptions and continued under the 'gateway drug' guise. "That's the way it's always been done" and whatnot.

Conspirators argue that corruption and conflict of interest in court plays a part in this. Judge has stakes in private prison, convicts people with possession of marijuana for ridiculous number of years, gets higher value in prison stakes.

For the most parts, I'd say politicians really do believe in many of the sides they fight for. It's politics and you know that if you don't play dirty, your political enemy will and destroy you in a heartbeat.

Edited by eggbutt

It all started from culture war and racism back in the 20's-70's. It then got deemed "bad" along with all other drugs because of the Crack use in the late 80's and 90's.. And then in the late 90's-2000's it was seen as a threat to pharmaceutical profits... so companies like Bayer lobbied (bribed) politicians to keep it illegal so they could push their highly addictive products. Now we are seeing the carnage these companies have created and people have become more tolerant of MJ and realize that its not bad at all.

I am for legalization, but not for any kind of regulation. Anyone should be able to grow and use it as they see fit. Currently I am past my indulging years, but when I hit geezer age I plan to use it to remedy any aches and pains I might have...legal or not.

It all started from culture war and racism back in the 20's-70's. It then got deemed "bad" along with all other drugs because of the Crack use in the late 80's and 90's.. And then in the late 90's-2000's it was seen as a threat to pharmaceutical profits... so companies like Bayer lobbied (bribed) politicians to keep it illegal so they could push their highly addictive products. Now we are seeing the carnage these companies have created and people have become more tolerant of MJ and realize that its not bad at all.

I am for legalization, but not for any kind of regulation. Anyone should be able to grow and use it as they see fit. Currently I am past my indulging years, but when I hit geezer age I plan to use it to remedy any aches and pains I might have...legal or not.

Pretty much. :) Though, I am thinking treat it just like alcohol, or tobacco. (don't want 10 years olds going in and buying a 'pack of marijuana'......)