Vortex can't take Skyrim SE from NMM - 2 Errors

Dreifels

Vortex can't do Hardlinks unless it is installed on the SAME HARD DRIVE.

THAT is what I was stating.

The screenshot FROM VORTEX above even SAYS SO.

The screen shot states the following:

"Hard Link Deployment - Works only if mods are installed on the same drive as the game."

I cannot find a place where it says that Vortex has to be installed on the same drive as the mods. Am I missing something?

It doesn't. Only the mods' installation path must be on the same drive.

Because to create hardlinks from mods into the game's data directory, they have to be on the same drive. Hardlinks only work on the same partition.

It's absolutely of no consequence where Vortex is installed, where Vortex' own datafiles are stored (always on C:, no matter what) or where you download the mods to. Only the INSTALLATION path - or as it's now called, the "mod staging path" matters.

Because to create hardlinks from mods into the game's data directory, they have to be on the same drive. Hardlinks only work on the same partition.

There's absolutely of no consequence where Vortex is installed, where Vortex' own datafiles are stored (always on C:, no matter what) or where you download the mods to. Only the INSTALLATION path - or as it's now called, the "mod staging path" matters.

Thank you for your helpful reply.

It's absolutely of no consequence where Vortex is installed, where Vortex' own datafiles are stored (always on C:, no matter what) or where you download the mods to. Only the INSTALLATION path - or as it's now called, the "mod staging path" matters.

anyways, as I told,

I have ALL on E: and partially custom pathes

E:\Steam\*

E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\*

E:\LOOT\*

E:\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\*.ini

E:\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\Saves\*.sav

E:\NMM_SE_info\SkyrimSE\Install Info\*

E:\NMM_SE_stored\Mods\*

E:\NMM_SE_Virtual\SkyrimSE\Mods\VirtualInstall\*

E:\TEMP\*

so this discussion related to Vortext install drive is off topic.

You didn't specify any Vortex directories, though. From your list I still cannot see that Vortex' mod staging path for Skyrim is located on E: too. That would be required for it to work properly.

See here where to set that path:

attachicon.gif Image 1.png

as you can read above, I set vortext to e:\vortext, and so all pathes related have to be according

You're working on the artificially constructed problem, not the concrete one.

deplayment method, "setting", etc. not yet was the step to do, problem was before, direct after selecting skyrim se as that to import from NMM.

Vortex can't do Hardlinks unless it is installed on the SAME HARD DRIVE.

THAT is what I was stating.

The screenshot FROM VORTEX above even SAYS SO.

The screen shot states the following:

"Hard Link Deployment - Works only if mods are installed on the same drive as the game."

I cannot find a place where it says that Vortex has to be installed on the same drive as the mods. Am I missing something?

Yes, I misread it. apologies to Grestorn

You didn't specify any Vortex directories, though. From your list I still cannot see that Vortex' mod staging path for Skyrim is located on E: too. That would be required for it to work properly.

See here where to set that path:

attachicon.gif Image 1.png

as you can read above, I set vortext to e:\vortext, and so all pathes related have to be according

You're working on the artificially constructed problem, not the concrete one.

deplayment method, "setting", etc. not yet was the step to do, problem was before, direct after selecting skyrim se as that to import from NMM.

I'm trying to give you hints what the error message you've posted in your initial posting could be cause by. Granted, this is a bit a hunt in the dark. The error message states, that Vortex can't deploy the mods, because none of the deployment methods are compatible with your setup, and one of the most common reasons for that is what we've been discussing - that the mod staging directory is not on the game drive.

If we misunderstood your problem, then please forgive us. Please tell us exactly what you're asking.

@Dreifels

Can you show us a screenshot of what Settings > Mods looks like for you? (Basically, the exact screen Grestorn posted).

Where you able to fix the first issue by simply clicking "Fix"? The other thing about deployment is in actuality something you should address before importing from NMM and what Grestorn pointed out is correct. Vortex can be installed elsewhere, but the mod staging folder needs to be on the same partition as the game. If that is the case, "Hardlink Deployment" should become available as an option.

@Grestorn and @HadToRegister

Your dispute seems resolved at this point, which is good because both of you do provide a lot of help in these threads. That being said, yes, Grestorn was correct (see above) and I am glad HadToRegister did not take it personally.

1) I have no screenshot and can't provide because I break up the installation and had to do a complete restore with a backup of the disk. For me Vortext is dead because missing of essential functionality in setup. It is a general thing: As the current instalaltion works fine (with NMM and also with MO) it is not to accept that a newer and more "modern" solutionis unable to work with the same w/o issues. Such a program MUST run with any that is Windows conform. The more, as the basic requirement = all on same medium + same drive letter (logical and physically) is done. All other deeper intervention in operating system configuration such a program MUST NOT require. :down: :no:

It is not a system that is exclusive for that game, the game is a guest on the system.