Damned LUTS, please help.

OK, so I've been trying to add a custom hair colour into fallout 4. I've followed steps posted by others, such as 'remapping' and creating a '.json', however, my hair color will not show up in-game, unless I break the mould and add it directly into the hair colours list; but then it always comes out as salmon-pink, rather than the snow-white I was aiming for.

Has anyone else encountered this problem before and do they know how I can solve it?

nb. Looksmenu doesn't seem to work on my FO4 Installation; it automatically disables, and when I re-enable it it jumps to the very bottom of my load order. Maybe that's related...?

Edit: I think I've fixed the issue with looks menu, it stats active now and doesn't move itself down the load order when I'm not looking. But still no custom hair colours are appearing in game, from myself or any of the other hair mods I've downloaded.

Please, if anyone can help my sort this issue out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Been trying to figure it out for myself for well over 2 weeks now, it's now one of the only things left before my mod is finished.

Edited by Shoneah0Tokala

I think you can achieve white hair. Idk how to add it as an option but I would just copy a hair colour record of one of the vanilla hair colours in CK or Xedit then find the number that edits the hair colour.

If you open nifskope on hair mesh, you can navigate to an entry in the BSlighting shader section of the mesh.

I think its a property called pallet to greyscale or something like that.

Change that number to experiment. I cant remember if you need to remove the material string first to see the changes in nifskope. Then enter the number for white into a new xedit record that is copied from a vanilla hair record.

This is probably not how its done btw. Lol

Edited by Guest

Interesting theory, I know my way around nifskope a little so I think I can manage that....

However, wouldn't this method require me to edit 'every' hair mesh to achieve my goal?

Also, it's worth pointing out that I'm starting with white, but will ultimately be making several colour variations

Edited by Shoneah0Tokala

It's taken me this long to realise that that for whatever reason I can't use any custom hair colour mods; don't ask me why. So even if I'm doing this remapping thing right I'd never know.

thanks for your advice, I'm sure I will come back to this at some point