Removing the notifications from RemoveAllItems used on player

DiodeLadder

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone would know of a way to remove the notifications popping up at the top left corner when "RemoveAllItems" script is used on player. The messages telling the player which items have been removed, one by one, would go on forever, and I would like to be able to turn them off. :-/ (I'm not looking for a way to modify the UI - I want to turn off the notifications from this one instance of removeallitems script I'm using in a quest.)

Or maybe there's a better way to do what I'm trying to do? I'm trying to get the player robbed basically, and wake up with zero items in the inventory. Using RemoveAllItems to transfer player inventory to a container works fine for what I am trying to achieve, but the notifications makes no sense in this context and just really annoying. Is there another way that's better to use in this kind of situation?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone else will be able to give you a better answer, but as far as I know - things like Player.RemoveAllItems() can be followed by numbers like Player.RemoveAllItems(1,1,1) where each number represents something, one of those numbers is responsible for running the command silently - no notifications.

But unless someone can say for sure which number, it might be best to check the wiki for silent commands :)

Someone else will be able to give you a better answer, but as far as I know - things like Player.RemoveAllItems() can be followed by numbers like Player.RemoveAllItems(1,1,1) where each number represents something, one of those numbers is responsible for running the command silently - no notifications.

But unless someone can say for sure which number, it might be best to check the wiki for silent commands :smile:

Thanks SandMouse for chiming in, but as far as I know, with RemoveAllItems, I can only define the destination to transfer the items to (object reference), and if the ownership info should change after the transfer (bool). I don't think there were more to define on this particular one. Unless I missed something?

Edited by DiodeLadder

I guess what I am trying to achieve is kind of like what happens to the player in the Cidhna Mine quest in Skyrim. Does anyone know how they are removing all player items in that quest?

I've opened up the Skyrim CK to see if I could take a look at the script, but apparently there's no source files included like for FO4. :-/

I wondered how MQ101 uses the RemoveAllItems script without any notifications popping up, and after an experiment, I found out this script removes items without any messages if I used () and don't specify the destination to transfer items to (meaning, the player items will be lost). As soon as I put in the destination, it spits out notifications for as long as it takes.

I seriously do not understand their logic in how it was implemented. If you are removing everything from the player, you wouldn't want the notifications to pop up for 10 minutes straight, and would not want to make any sounds when this is executed. It makes no sense at all. :sad:

On the other hand, RemoveItem script does have the abSilent parameter just like SandMouse suggested yesterday (thanks again), and I can suppress the notifications. Maybe I'll just go through a few lines of RemoveItem with different keywords to remove stuff in batches.

By the way, if anyone is doing the same thing - mute() and unmute() can be used to turn off the AudioCategorySFX temporarily while the items are being removed.

Another thing - using RemoveAllItems() on a character (not transferring items to a container) will have the stats/buffs from armors to get stuck, even after the items are gone. This seems to be a known bug, carried over from Skyrim, lol, with suggested workaround being unequipping items before executing RemoveAllItems. When transferring to a container, this bug would not happen.

Also, if you have another command before, RemoveAllItems seems to need a little bit of wait, like 0.5 or so between the two tasks. I saw that without a wait, RemoveAllItems on one of my characters with a lot of items in the inventory would freeze the game. Mentioning just in case anyone had experienced it.

So... RemoveItem is not that great for what I want to do. Throwing in a bunch of keywords into a formlist to remove items is straight forward enough, but catching everything seems to be near impossible because not everything has keywords attached. Needing to unequip items also is a pain - unequipall would make the Pipboy unusable for the rest of eternity, lol. Going through each slots via scripting and avoid slot 30, yadayada, great, but RemoveAllItems is much faster and does exactly what I want. ....Except the notifications of hundreds of items being removed one by one. Gah!

I think the player being captured and getting stripped of all belongings is a pretty common thing to do in RPGs, so I must be missing something very obvious in CK?

If anyone knows a way to turn off those notifications, or a better way to do what I am trying to do, please chime in. I would really appreciate your help on this.

In a making of video the design was described “player as atlas” where the world revolves around the player, rather than the player participating in the world. Fundamental difference for 76.

The challenge is that scripting does not cater well for doing stuff TO the player, rather the player doing stuff TO the world.

In a making of video the design was described “player as atlas” where the world revolves around the player, rather than the player participating in the world. Fundamental difference for 76.

The challenge is that scripting does not cater well for doing stuff TO the player, rather the player doing stuff TO the world.

Hah, I guess you have your share of frustrations with the way Bethesda does things, lol. Thanks for stopping by SKK.

I may have found what I have been looking for though :

https://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=SendPlayerToJail_-_Faction

This is apparently how Cidhna Mine quest in Skyrim is handled (finally found the source), and it does strip the player of all items. I guess what I can do is to create a unique raider faction for this quest and have them jail the player - which actually would be exactly the scenario I had in mind.

I don't know how the faction crime stuff is handled yet, so I need to look into this more. Hopefully this will work out. :-)

Edited by DiodeLadder

Good luck ! SendPlayerToJail() isn't called in any FO4 base game scripts ... wonders where the removed items end up ?
Pushing the boundaries can be fun & frustrating ...

Thanks SKK!

Yeah, the items - this is the part I have to find out about. I would guess a jail system would require a container where the items would be moved to by default. I'll report back when I find something.

Well, I hope this system is functional in FO4. Crossing fingers, lol.