Qualms about importing from NMM

eggbutt

I have shipped from good ol' NMM to shiny new Vortex today. I am one to jump to conclusions and risks, so correct me if you will.

While I appreciate what Vortex is attempting to do, and understand it is not trying to replicate NMM or follow the same rules, I feel that importing was dissatisfying. I had to fiddle around a lot to get the settings I'd like, and had already personalised in NMM.

The import tool seems to disregard the actual presence of NMM and simply grabs the mod archives. Custom things such as categories, mod names, and load order, are of course present in Vortex but lost in transmission. I don't mind having to learn the ins and outs of a newer manager, but surely Vortex could avoid a whole lot of unnecessary hassle by importing this too, even if it needs unpicking/choice of only one profile? Am I being dumb thinking that this is completely possible?

In hindsight, Vortex did warn of this. However, I never realised it would edit my load order as soon as I loaded a game onto Vortex. And it sorts most mods in alphabetical order, unless you manually set the masters. Only been using it for a day, so correct me if I'm wrong here. This seems ridiculous. Where before, it was like putting lengths of string in order, now the strings move themselves and I can only control which ones are knotted. Newly modding a game would be not so bad, since you could implement this as you go along for every new mod you add, but for importers, having to figure this out when suddenly your entire load order has already been shuffled around, not so.

Due to these issues I've had with Vortex, I would recommend it to new modders. Users of NMM may prefer to stick with what they've got though, until importing has some QoL changes.

TL;DR Doesn't import custom stuff and load order system is flawed.

Edited by eggbutt

Importing won't be fixed mainly because NMM logging of installations is one of the things broken about it. Vortex can't correctly import things when the log it's looking through to know what to import and how they are setup is broken. It's basically like trying to build a cabinet from ikea but you're looking at instructions on how to make a table.

If you have a custom mod build that's a bit more complex than just a simple collection of mods that don't overwrite each other, you'll have to start from scratch.

Hi,

We hear you and categories not being imported is a known issue that has been addressed in an internal build already i.e. it will be fixed for the public soon.

That being said, some things like the load order cannot and should not be imported for various reasons. Vortex sorts your plugin list based on LOOT. See "How Vortex manages your load order" here: https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Choosing_Vortex

If you had a manually maintained load order before importing, then it will change once LOOT sorts it for you. However, LOOT does not introduce load order issues, it merely solves them, so the change in load order is optimisation and thus expected behaviour.

LOOT does not merely sort your plugin list alphabetically, that may be a coincidence with your plugin list.

The way NMM handles things like conflicts and installation logging, unfortunately, does not allow for automation as you are asking for. We are looking into making what Vortex can and cannot import more transparent to users before they import though.