Respect censorship or to not respect censorship?

pricelessppp

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should censorship be respected or not respected online or in public places? Why do people deny censorship & yet it happens? I got a 30 dang day ban from face-book for talking about air-soft BB pistols. I think that is silly.

I agree, that's stupid. FB has gone WAY too politically correct.

But, it's situational. In your example, that's just idiotic. (on FB's part.)

Should censorship be respected or not respected online or in public places? Why do people deny censorship & yet it happens? I got a 30 dang day ban from face-book for talking about air-soft BB pistols. I think that is silly.

I agree, that's stupid. FB has gone WAY too politically correct.

But, it's situational. In your example, that's just idiotic. (on FB's part.)

I agree its stupid ASF that i got banned for that. But what do you mean it's situational? Like don't yell shark at the beach or fire in a plublic building thing? Like crying wolf?

I agree its stupid ASF that i got banned for that. But what do you mean it's situational? Like don't yell shark at the beach or fire in a plublic building thing? Like crying wolf?

*I think* he means that sometimes, it can be warranted or even necessary. If someone is quite literally posting "niggers and jews need to die" then yeah, I believe that person should be banned. That's nowhere near what you posted though, and if you actually got banned for the topic you spoke about, FB is increasingly becoming more f*#@ed by each passing day as a social platform. Political correctness can only take you so far.

talking about air-soft BB pistols.

depending on what kind of conversation. If related to any kind of firearms/BB guns business transactions/sales/ads/services, then it will be Facebook ToS violation and this will result in some kind of ban

Of course, anyone can report you for anything even if you just mention that word pistol, really.

Nothing should be banned. I would prefer to know what people think. What I do believe is that if someone posts online they should not have anonymity (and yes I recognize my hypocrisy)

Careful what you ask for. :) For the vast majority of folks, I REALLY DON'T want to know what they are thinkin'.

talking about air-soft BB pistols.

depending on what kind of conversation. If related to any kind of firearms/BB guns business transactions/sales/ads/services, then it will be Facebook ToS violation and this will result in some kind of ban

Of course, anyone can report you for anything even if you just mention that word pistol, really.

What if its merely showing off your collection or wondering what is a good first firearm or a air-gun/bb gun replica & not a sales transaction? Its not like the bobbies would show up like what happened to these guys http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/long-island-woman-claims-online-search-pressure-cooker-helped-prompt-visit-feds-article-1.1415101 . Facebook TOS is & reporting system is these people who report accounts

etc. etc.comment_edit.png Edit Edited by pricelessppp

I would rather people be allowed to freely speak vile things in public, racism, sexism, other forms of bigotry etc. Although repugnant, it is still useful for decent people, here is why:

Freedom of speech isn't the only right, there are others, the one I will focus on is Freedom of Association.

When deciding which individuals or groups you wish to associate with, naturally you employ some system of vetting; are they honest and decent? Do they like the things you like? Do they do anything untoward? Do they hold views you find repugnant? etc.

Imagine now that certain forms of speech are deemed offensive/dangerous and are censored in public places. People who hold unsavoury views will be unable to express them openly and will keep them hidden. As a result, your attempt at getting to know people is made more difficult: as it stands, you have to spend a lot of time becoming familiar with them, put in effort, do favours for them and so on.

Then say, 6 weeks later, they trust you enough to reveal they are in fact pro-slavery. Well... lovely... 6 weeks of time and effort wasted to find out too late that the person you thought you knew was a cretin. You can't get those hours back.

On the other hand, if people are at liberty to spout horrible ideas in the public square or in cyberspace, you may hear or see their terrible beliefs from a distance and say to yourself "Oh look, a reprobate, I won't bother associating with them, I will find some worthier people". Repulsive people need to be free to dig their own graves socially. Decent folk save a lot of time and effort in deciding which people or groups to interact with. Bad ideas are placed in the public forum where they can be challenged and wither and die under scrutiny.

So in conclusion, social networking sites should not be so quick to employ censorship, and only do so sparingly.

• 6 months later...

Censorship ... lol

How bout we just ban the platforms where censorship becomes a need.

No More FACE BOOK .... see how that goes for awhile ... to bad so sad for those that lose money because of it. You should have invested more wisely .

Making money off of carnage is not sustainable ... PERIOD !

sO Do "WE" want to let society go down as their profit margin goes up ???!!!???

... and yes that "WE" includes you too Pagafyr