Remove (reduce) automatron robots from random encounters

e1grey

Can somebody make a mod that would reduce, or better, completely remove automatron robots from random encounters, or replace them with human rust devils?

If there's already a mod that does it, please direct me to it. Mod creators sometimes give their mods names that make it hard to search.

If it's not too difficult to make one and it only requires FO4Edit, can somebody explain, how to do it?

The robots in this game look silly rather than intimidating, they make stupid sounds (especially wen they die), and there are way too many of them. There's Greygarden, General Atomics Galleria, a hotel in Far Harbor, a whole Automatron DLC with random encounters that turn the game into a retro-futuristic terminator war, Nuka World park all populated with robots (with the exception of Kiddy Kingdom), two robot companions, etc. I haven't seen anyone expressing a problem with this fact, and couldn't find a mod that would help me with it.

This is pretty simple to do in xEdit. There are 3 global values you need or might want to change:

DLC01LoadScreenRate - [Default = 20] - the rate at which Automatron Load Screen hints appear when transitioning between areas. Default means 1 in 5 load screens will feature some aspect of that DLC, I use 10 myself.

DLC01REPercentChance - [Default = 50] - Chance of a random encounter being a robot encounter. The default of 1/2 of all encounters being Robot ones is quite honestly ridiculous, no idea what they were thinking making those encounters so dominant once the DLC is installed. I set mine to 10 personally.

DLC01WorkshopRobotAttackChance - [Default = 50] - Chance of any kind of workshop attack being Robots, again a ridiculously high default value. I set mine to 10.

This is pretty simple to do in xEdit. There are 3 global values you need or might want to change:

DLC01LoadScreenRate - [Default = 20] - the rate at which Automatron Load Screen hints appear when transitioning between areas. Default means 1 in 5 load screens will feature some aspect of that DLC, I use 10 myself.

DLC01REPercentChance - [Default = 50] - Chance of a random encounter being a robot encounter. The default of 1/2 of all encounters being Robot ones is quite honestly ridiculous, no idea what they were thinking making those encounters so dominant once the DLC is installed. I set mine to 10 personally.

DLC01WorkshopRobotAttackChance - [Default = 50] - Chance of any kind of workshop attack being Robots, again a ridiculously high default value. I set mine to 10.

Thanks. Going to try it today. Can you answer some more questions, please?

It's going to take some in-game time before takes effect, right?

Have you tried setting the values to 0.000000?

The first two should be instant, the last one may be instant or may not if you have settlement attacks already in progress.

I haven't tried setting those values to 0, it will probably be ok as the DLC quests shouldn't rely on those values but I haven't checked it in any great detail.

Game Configuration Menu

has been doing this since August of this year.

Sure. Great mod. Unfortunately the amount of edited values in my game may cause incompatibilities with GCM. I've been fine-tuning the game for a long time, and in order to start using GCM I'll have to remove and edit back a ton of stuff, with many potential issues in the process. I will, most definitely, install it when I start a new playthrough on a new PC.

Game Configuration Menu

has been doing this since August of this year.

Sure. Great mod. Unfortunately the amount of edited values in my game may cause incompatibilities with GCM. I've been fine-tuning the game for a long time, and in order to start using GCM I'll have to remove and edit back a ton of stuff, with many potential issues in the process. I will, most definitely, install it when I start a new playthrough on a new PC.

Well, I was just answering your original request of

Can somebody make a mod that would reduce, or better, completely remove automatron robots from random encounters, or replace them with human rust devils?

If there's already a mod that does it, please direct me to it. Mod creators sometimes give their mods names that make it hard to search.

Now you know for the future.

The first two should be instant, the last one may be instant or may not if you have settlement attacks already in progress.

I haven't tried setting those values to 0, it will probably be ok as the DLC quests shouldn't rely on those values but I haven't checked it in any great detail.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to set them to 0 and see what happens.

I set them to 0, and it appears that cell resets are still required. I've encountered rust devils with robots in a few of their regular spawn locations - near Med-Tek, Quincy, etc. Gonna play a little more and see.