Starting over -Gods hate me so need your help

Blewstar

My SSD has failed in Raid 0 (2x 128GB SSD) configuration set from the manufacture and now all data is lost. This came at a good time as I was not playing Skyrim, just learning MO2 and researching mods that I would enjoy.

My laptop is a GT70 2pc dominator mSATA drive non-nvme if that helps so looking for some advice technical and game related. I am posting some questions from other threads as no response in 2 days so hoping this is okay.

1. The laptop has room for 3 drives. The third drive is 1TB HGST platter (nothing on it so can be replaced). What would you suggest for a new setup of drives? Size, raid configuration, brands, etc.. think of this is yours and what would you do for gaming/entertainment

2. Where would you install steam games at? The default location for steam is in the program folders x86 and read that this is not a good idea. This may be better answered by how the drives are being setup.

3. Thoughts on Mod Organizer 2 vs Vortex. Are both still being developed? From my understanding that the person tannin has worked on both so is MO2 being phased out for Vortex? Since I am just getting started in modding don't want to be on the back end of one organizer if it is being replaced by another.

4. I was looking for help on the graphics side finding the right ones that won't overwhelm my GTX870m 6GB. My inital search is for SMIM, 2017 Textures, 3d Trees and plants. This is for the environment of how to make it look better. I want to be part of it. What has looked good to you. I do have 24 GB of memory if that helps

5. Appreciate any other pieces of advice, mods, hints, tips, tricks to enjoy this game.

Thank you!

I had hoped after 24 hours there would of been a response from people that are smarter than me. (Which doesn't take much)

My thoughts are to have a drive for OS, games, storage, downloads. Storage and downloads could be on one drive. What size? I could go with 1TB for each. I just don't know the size recommend or does it matter? Is there a speed hit for larger drives? With the failure of my SSD it makes me think of how to backup properly. This tip would be appreciated as well.

With no guarantee that my answers will be any good and its all obviously my personal opinion.

Raid 0 with ssds is a waste for the vast majority of people, including gamers. You are better off getting a single larger good quality ssd, not only they are faster but have more endurance and obviously more space so you can fit in there a massive modded skyrim comfortably. 128 is f*#@ing tiny.

My setup is 512gb samsung 960 and 3tb hdd toshiba i think, any decent brand will do really.

I have steam in peogram files in the ssd, zero problems.

Get vortex.

Textures is personal preference really, you cant go wrong with the most popular stuff so start there I suppose.

Thank you for the replies. I have been reading and watching videos both current and some older to get a good grasp on things. Knowing things change and validating the information. Several of the videos made mention to never put your games in program files. Mentioning best practice , but not going any further.

So needless to say I am very confused and so taking a step back. Right now I have with my old pc turned it into a lab to teach myself how to install manually and figure out the load and priority order. This will be posted on a separate thread. One thing that I believe has held me back was with all the mentions of crashes or this needs to be installed before you play a new walkthrough.

So really, thank you.. a few more pieces have been added to the puzzle.

Watching the videos, especially with complicated mods like FNIS, and others, is vital to understanding how the mods should be installed, their load order, and how they are uninstalled, when needed. I've just started using VORTEX, in the last couple of weeks, and it is well-equipped with instructional videos.

One of the best ... and massive ... mods out there is The People of Skyrim, or TPOS. Almost everything is changed, and locations where my game would perviously CTD, are completely smooth. I've got a top-of-the-line computer (of course, that helps), but it doesn't matter where I am ... since I started playing TPOS on Skrim SE, I have not had a single crash. I had a similar experience when using TPOS on the 32-bit version, Oldrim. In addition, I'm running almost a hundred mods, including a customized version of SMIM, which is computer-intensive, and the framerate never goes under 60fps. I COULD go 4k, if I wanted to (and I do, in some areas), but mostly, I stay at 2k.

Note that I'm not saying the above to brag, or anything like that. It has taken me several years to get this game to work ... period. In the interim, I learned about how the mods interact with each other, and got my current computer. Note that I've upgraded the new computer from a system RAM of 8gb to 64gb. The NVidea card I use is a 3gb 1060 card (I do have a 4gb older card, taken out of my earlier computer, as a backup).

I use LOOT for load order, and have only had to use WryeBash once, since I started playing SSE with TPOS.

The only problem I've had is when Lydia was assigned to me as a personal Housecarl. We walked out of Dragonsreach, and she had taken it all off. Not that this is a problem, but I prefer my followers to be clothed! I AM a married man, after all!.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you get all your problems sorted out, soon. The graphics alone on the 64-bit version of this game are worth it.

• 5 months later...

Hello, I specify that I am on Xbox One X. My game crash as soon as I enter Dragonsreach. I have done the game multiple times, and this is the first time that it happens to me. That said, I just put the mods. Here are the mods installed in their loading order. Thank you for your help

- Patch Non-Officiel Français
- Skyland 1K - A Landscape Texture Overhaul
- Realistic Water Two
- Louder Nature - Birds and Insects
- The Paarthurnax Dilemma
- Bypass Bleakfalls
- Bypass the Seven Thousand Steps
- Blackreach Bypass
- Bypass Ustengrav
- Divine Cities - Premier City Overhaul
- Divine Cities: Villages
- Hobbiton
- Heljarchen Pool and Hot Bath Extra
- Bigger Trees
- Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin
- Kissing - Immersive Lovers Comfort
- TLS Agony: A Killmove Mod
- BIG: Maximum Kill Move Chance
- BIG: Ultimate Kills (a Better Improvements for Gameplay)
- Force Spells
- Improved Ice Spike and Icy spear
- Slow and Freeze Time Spells
- Enhanced Blood Texture
- Enhanced Blood Texture Darker ADDON
- Game of Thrones Replacer
- Marriage All
- Rich Merchants of Skyrim
- Divine People AIO Player and NPC Overhaul (Suzy's Original) - Immersive Lore Friend Realistic Catchphrase here
- Lilly - Female Courrier Replacer
- Beautiful Mistress Complete Alternative
- Definitive Beauty Pack
- The Eyes of Beauty - Improved Eye Reflections
- Underword Vampire Eyes
- Tempers "Kissable" Colors Ultra Pack
- KS Hairdos Lite
- Adorable Females
- Fair Skin Complexion HD Sweaty
- Apachii Sky Hair Lite
- Stones of Barenziah DROPPABLE
- Game of Thrones - Music Replacer
- Race Menu Book
- QD Inventory SSE
- Infinite Chest (Cheat Chest)
- STAR: Triple Gold ( A Superior Treasure and Rewards)
- Ashara Merchants and Trainers
- Earring of Godly Unburden
- Ring Of Increased Carry Weight
- Cheat Room
- Nordic Snow Elf Playable Race
- HN66s Long Eye Lashes
- Hirsute Beards
- Beards
- XP32 Maximum Skeleton+Realistic Ragdolls and Force
- Pure Blood Vampire
- Redisigned Males
- Dimon99 and Maevan2 Female Body - HD Texture
- Seraphim Female Body Replacer
- Seraphim Female Body Replacer Extra
- Highlander Katanas
- Unique Magicka Sabers
- Katana Crafting
- Sword of the Seeker
- Royal daedric armour and weapons
- Lustmord Vampire Armor
- Arise - Chapter 1-Black Sacrement Armor
- Newmiller Deadric Bikini
- Newmiller Chaos star bikini UNP
- Vampire Rogue Armor
- Ryu Hayabusa Armor

Hello, I specify that I am on Xbox One X. My game crash as soon as I enter Dragonsreach. I have done the game multiple times, and this is the first time that it happens to me. That said, I just put the mods. Here are the mods installed in their loading order. Thank you for your help

- Patch Non-Officiel Français

- Skyland 1K - A Landscape Texture Overhaul

- Realistic Water Two

- Louder Nature - Birds and Insects

- The Paarthurnax Dilemma

- Bypass Bleakfalls

- Bypass the Seven Thousand Steps

- Blackreach Bypass

- Bypass Ustengrav

- Divine Cities - Premier City Overhaul

- Divine Cities: Villages

- Hobbiton

- Heljarchen Pool and Hot Bath Extra

- Bigger Trees

- Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin

- Kissing - Immersive Lovers Comfort

- TLS Agony: A Killmove Mod

- BIG: Maximum Kill Move Chance

- BIG: Ultimate Kills (a Better Improvements for Gameplay)

- Force Spells

- Improved Ice Spike and Icy spear

- Slow and Freeze Time Spells

- Enhanced Blood Texture

- Enhanced Blood Texture Darker ADDON

- Game of Thrones Replacer

- Marriage All

- Rich Merchants of Skyrim

- Divine People AIO Player and NPC Overhaul (Suzy's Original) - Immersive Lore Friend Realistic Catchphrase here

- Lilly - Female Courrier Replacer

- Beautiful Mistress Complete Alternative

- Definitive Beauty Pack

- The Eyes of Beauty - Improved Eye Reflections

- Underword Vampire Eyes

- Tempers "Kissable" Colors Ultra Pack

- KS Hairdos Lite

- Adorable Females

- Fair Skin Complexion HD Sweaty

- Apachii Sky Hair Lite

- Stones of Barenziah DROPPABLE

- Game of Thrones - Music Replacer

- Race Menu Book

- QD Inventory SSE

- Infinite Chest (Cheat Chest)

- STAR: Triple Gold ( A Superior Treasure and Rewards)

- Ashara Merchants and Trainers

- Earring of Godly Unburden

- Ring Of Increased Carry Weight

- Cheat Room

- Nordic Snow Elf Playable Race

- HN66s Long Eye Lashes

- Hirsute Beards

- Beards

- XP32 Maximum Skeleton+Realistic Ragdolls and Force

- Pure Blood Vampire

- Redisigned Males

- Dimon99 and Maevan2 Female Body - HD Texture

- Seraphim Female Body Replacer

- Seraphim Female Body Replacer Extra

- Highlander Katanas

- Unique Magicka Sabers

- Katana Crafting

- Sword of the Seeker

- Royal daedric armour and weapons

- Lustmord Vampire Armor

- Arise - Chapter 1-Black Sacrement Armor

- Newmiller Deadric Bikini

- Newmiller Chaos star bikini UNP

- Vampire Rogue Armor

- Ryu Hayabusa Armor

The first thing I want to say is - Do you use a mod manager, and if so, what one do you use?

I use the Vortex MM, which is coming along nicely in its development. Last night, I added a mod to my game, and it had 121 conflicts, even though it wasn't supposed to conflict with anything. I was able to resolve all of those conflicts within about 5 minutes. Some of the mods that you have I've never heard of, and I've never had a problem with entering Dragonsreach.

Note that I used to have problems with entering Whiterun. Also, I couldn't enter or play through certain vital quests, like Bleak Falls Barrow, and others. I know for nothing about consoles, but my problem ... back then ... were the mod conflicts and the computer I was running. I bought a new gaming computer, and then installed Vortex. I haven't had a CTD in months, and I play the game often, using 4k textures, and am getting 60 fps consistently.

I've heard that many players have the problems you described on consoles. Like I said, I don't know that much about them, but I think that they are essentially just a computer. If you can change out your chipset, and add system RAM, I would do it. Note that my computer has the latest intel chipset, and I'm running 64gigs of system RAM. If you can't change your chipset and RAM, I would consider buying a new gaming computer. I know they're expensive, but mine revolutionized my gameplay.

I wish I could be more help, on this.

Unfortunately no, no mods manager, because it is precisely a console and I can not change anything inside, otherwise would lose the warranty manufacturer so Microsoft.

Well,I told you that I know next to nothing about consoles! Sorry I couldn't be more help.

The only thing that I can say is to go through each and every mod that you have and check for possible conflicts. Also, where was your FPS counter at the time you try to enter Dragonsreach? Anything under 30fps could cause a CTD because of the amount of info that is downloading. For example, with my last computer (which was decidedly low-end), on the path to Bleak Falls Barrow, I would have a crash every time. I learned to access the Bandit Tower by taking a path below the Tower. No problems. Then, I would go up the path the Bleak Falls Barrow, kill the bandits. Then, it would crash every time I tried to go through the front Entrance to the Barrow. It would also crash every time I tried the Kynesgrove quest, just at the moment the dragon broke through the top of the mound.

By the way, I am using an Acer Aspire computer which I purchased at a Wal-Mart, for slightly over $900. The only thing I've done to it is to upgrade system RAM from 16gb to 64gb.