New California crashing

lonepine80

I'm sure this has been asked several times, but can i get some help? Every time i try to enter the Atrium for the first time the game crashes to desktop after giving me " Project Vegas could not detect the New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE), which is required for correct operation." I have downloaded and ran the 4gb patch, i have tried launching through Vortex and Steam both, I have uninstalled and redownloaded and installed Project Vegas and the NVSE. It crashes if i have the mods on, it crashes if i have the mods off. This is a legit Steam copy. What am i doing wrong?

Edited by lonepine80

I am guessing that you have the game installed in the default location. If you do, you cannot use NVSE or the 4GB patch since Windows User Access control will prevent any changes to the files in "Program Files".

There are instructions on Steam that will tell you what you need to know to move the Steam and FNV folders.

See also: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14OpRnF5zW4x-qZMQ62JZgM5A4Xq02TAsDoKwKd41P_s/mobilebasic New California Incompatibility List.

There is also a comments page dedicated to Fallout: New California. You would more than likely get a better response posting there.

Edited by M48A5

I do not have my Steam library in "Program files", I have it on a different hdd. I checked the incompatibility list and am not running any of the mods listed there. The only mods currently installed are Project Nevada 2_5 and nvse_4_2_beta4.fomod. And are you referring to the comments page on Steam or on these forums?

First verify NVSE is working correctly in FNV (without loading New California; which the team is abbreviating "FNC"). Please see the 'Checklist Item #4' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article for how to verify NVSE is functioning.

If you did move Steam out of the default location, then likely any "access privilege" problem is one of "File and Folder permissions" on the parent "root" folder under which you installed the games. If this is not set correctly to allow at least "System", "Administrators", and "Users" to have "Full Control" then you can't overwrite other files or make changes. You then need to enable the "Properties | Security | Advanced | Change Permissions" setting of the parent folder to enable the box: "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", so those changes get applied to the existing files and sub-folders.

* If you are suddenly having a "slowdown" or lag; or a lack of sound; or problems getting NVSE to load, or really anything new unexpectedly, please see the 'Issue: NVSE - fails to load after update KB4058043 to Win10 FCU (v1709)' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide. This may be due to an on-going series of Windows Updates for the "Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities".

The comments page on the Nexus mod download page are also available in this thread on the forums. (FNC was previously known as "Project Brazil"). The forum has a "search capability" to deal with narrowing down the 8000+ comments.

-Dubious-