Load Order Oops

Bartoneye93

Hello, Nexus community!

Little about me: I've been around for awhile, but mostly just ghost and have never really posted on the forums. I generally understand the idea of downloading mods through one of the mod managers and I also vaguely understand installing mods manually. Especially since some of them, like Interesting NPCs, require you to download the mod manually and then patch it through mod manager. I'm currently at a loss. I've been trying to use load order guides in combination with Vortex's new use of the LOOT Mod groups system in an attempt to try and square away memory leaks, unnecessary overrides, etc. I was running my game just fine, albeit slightly unstable at times, until I completed the Dawnguard storyline. I was about level 33 and had just fast traveled to Dragon Bridge. When I fast travel anywhere else, or when I enter within range of Solitude, I have a CTD.

In game: I've tried leaving followers behind. I've tried dismissing followers entirely. I've traveled by horse instead of fast traveling. I've used the carriage. Everything seems to make me CTD when loading a new cell. So frustrated and annoyed, I thought I would start from scratch, but before I did I wiped my save files and played with the load order. Which is where my new problem comes from:

CTD within 5 minutes of launching Skyrim through SKSE. I will attach my load order below and try to attach screenshots of my mods' groups. I can also attach my PC's specs if required. I know the CTD is coming from messing with my load order, but I've changed the group of so many mods I'd have to remove everything and start from scratch to fix it.

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
ApachiiHair.esm
ApachiiHairFemales.esm
ApachiiHairMales.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
Campfire.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
Falskaar.esm
Gray Fox Cowl.esm
BSAssets.esm
BSHeartland.esm
BS_DLC_patch.esp
SkyUI_SE.esp
3DNPC.esp
Skyrim Immersive Creatures Special Edition.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp
SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp
Animallica.esp
Ars Metallica.esp
Beards.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Falskaar.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-L2.esp
DeadlyCombat.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
FNIS.esp
SkyrimSewers.esp
Immersive Patrols II.esp
Frostfall.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
LykaiosRace.esp
Prometheus_BeastSkeletons.esp
moonpath.esp
PeopleAreStrangers.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
Real Solitude Rocks.esp
TrueStormsSE.esp
WetandCold.esp
XPMSE.esp
FNISSexyMove.esp
FNISspells.esp
OpenFaceGuardHelmetsSSE.esp
Proper Aiming.esp
Runandwalkpaces.esp
SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
TorchesCastShadows.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD-Medium Script Range.esp
dD-Reduced Splatter Size.esp
dD-Reduced Wound Size.esp
RLO - Effects.esp
RLO - Exteriors.esp
RLO - Interiors.esp
RLO - Illuminated Spells.esp
3dnpc - Overhual.esp
Ark_Battlemage.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
tpos_ultimate_esm.esp
Rigmor.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dungeons-Darker.esp
Footprints.esp
Gray Cowl Footprints.esp
SPTConsistentOlderPeopleSE.esp
tpos_altstart_02.esp
OpulentOutfits_2017-SSE AIO.esp
tpos_falskar_patch_01.esp
tpos_rlo_exteriors_patch_01.esp
Gray Fox Cowl - Alternative Start.esp
Gray Cowl of Nocturnal - Delayed Start.esp
Gray Cowl of Nocturnal - Less Weight.esp
Gray Cowl of Nocturnal - Unofficial Patch.esp
Gray Fox Flora Overhaul.esp
Gray Fox Cowl_RND_SSE.esp
icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp
Improved Eyes Skyrim.esp
Improved Eyes Skyrim - Serana.esp
Improved Eyes Skyrim - Vamp.esp
LeftHandRings - Dawnguard.esp
LeftHandRings - Enchanted.esp
NoBSAIProjectileDodge.esp
RLO - VIS Patch.esp
sandboxcylinderheight.esp
SuperbSerana.esp
TighterBandoliers.esp
TKDodge.esp
tpos_lighting_fix_sse_01.esp
Wet&Cold - WaterFix - Addon.esp
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp
ETaC - Complete.esp
LC_BuildYourNobleHouse.esp
Settlements Expanded SE.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
Populated Cities Towns Villages Legendary.esp
Populated Dungns Caves Ruins Legendary.esp
Inigo.esp
Populated Forts Towers Places Legendary.esp
CatKing.esp
mihailmmaminotaur.esp
mihailsewerrat.esp
WWS Followers.esp
CaesiaFollower.esp
DogKing.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
garm_sr_no_armor.esp
Dezicrah.esp
PAN_FollowerPack1.esp
Claire.esp
Dr_Bandolier.esp
Follower - Adriana.esp
FurSet by keung.esp
R18Pn - Eisen Platte Armor.esp
Freya.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
JRMoonpathBrumaPatch.esp
LeatherBackpackStraps-50.esp
LeftHandRings.esp
SimpleLykaiosFollowers.esp
MadnarLykaios.esp
Populated Skyrim Prisons Cells.esp
RogueArmorHD.esp
SiblingWip.esp
SitaFollower.esp
Walks-In-Shadows_IA_Ban.esp
Open Cities Skyrim.esp
Immersive Citizens - OCS patch.esp
OCS + Skyrim Sewers.esp
CWIOCSSEPatch.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Open Cities.esp
RWT - People of Skyrim Patch.esp
Bruma - Alternate Start.esp
CH Bruma Patch.esp
CWIBDSPatch.esp
tpos_immersive_clit_patch_01.esp
JRMoonpathtoElsweyrPatch.esp
ETaC - Complete RLO Patch.esp
ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp
UNP Vanilla Outfits.esp
CWIOOSEPatchAIO.esp
EBT - IC PATCH.esp
LykaiosApachiiPatchFemale.esp
LykaiosApachiiPatchMain.esp
LykaiosApachiiPatchMale.esp
Modern Brawl Bug Fix.esp
RealisticNeedsandDiseases_Frostfall Patch.esp
RLO - IC Patch.esp
TSCoT.esp
TrueStorms_Wet&Cold_Patch.esp
Unique Uniques.esp

As for my PC, it's got:

i7-7700k Kaby-Lake CPU @ 4.2GHz

GTX 1060 (msi) 6gb GPU

4x8 DDR4 3200 for 32gb RAM

120gb SSD

2tb HDD

x2 MSI Optix MAG24C 144hz displays at 1080p

850w Power supply

Pretty sure it's not my PC that's the problem.

So I'm imploring the help of anyone who's willing to take a moment and explain where I went astray.

I appreciate it, in advanced, and find myself a little humbled because I usually try to figure this kind of thing out entirely by myself.

EDIT: IMGUR Link for Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/LLdP9fT

If I understood correctly, you used the LOOT categories in Vortex' "plugins" window to kinda sort your mods. That's not what you should do. These categories are for experienced users only, who know the system and the impacts of assigning mods to certain categories. Unless you're absolutely shure you know what you're doing and why, I'd strongly suggest to leave those categories alone.

If you want to keep track of your mods and have an easier time finding things, you can use the categories in the "mods" window. They're based on Nexus' categories, but basically they're just an internal sorting system - unlike the LOOT categories, which will influence your load order.

There are definitely flaws in your load order. E.g. "Alternate Start" is WAY too high. It must be loaded last or at least as low as possible. If you just let LOOT (or the sorting option of Vortex, which is based on LOOT) do its job, errors like this wouldn't occur.

ALso, you definitely NEED a conflict resolution patch with such a large load order. Use a "bashed patch" from Wrye Bash or (IMHO even better) a "smashed patch" created with "Mator Smash".

In general, you got all the good, memory heavy, complex and potentially "dangerous" stuff: Multiple large scale new land mods, lots of mods adding NPCs, massive changes to wildlife, Open Cities and other town overhauls... Having SOME of these kind of mods is fine, using them all together might cause issues. To be clear: I'm not blaming any of the mods I mentioned for anything. They work and are great mods on their own. But there's a point, when a game gets simply "overmodded". IMHO, you've reached that point. It's also this combination of large and complex mods, that makes troubleshooting very difficult. Often it's not "that one mod", but a combination of mods (which are otherwise totally fine), that makes a game crash...

Sorry to say, but I'm not sure, if your issues can be corrected without building up your load order again from the ground. It's also important to only add mods piece by piece (2 or 3, maybe 5 at a time). Then run LOOT (or Vortex' sorting option) and TEST. If you have issues, get them straight before installing anything new. I know, it takes time and all. But that's the only way to build up large (and stable) load orders...

If I understood correctly, you used the LOOT categories in Vortex' "plugins" window to kinda sort your mods. That's not what you should do. These categories are for experienced users only, who know the system and the impacts of assigning mods to certain categories. Unless you're absolutely shure you know what you're doing and why, I'd strongly suggest to leave those categories alone.

If you want to keep track of your mods and have an easier time finding things, you can use the categories in the "mods" window. They're based on Nexus' categories, but basically they're just an internal sorting system - unlike the LOOT categories, which will influence your load order.

There are definitely flaws in your load order. E.g. "Alternate Start" is WAY too high. It must be loaded last or at least as low as possible. If you just let LOOT (or the sorting option of Vortex, which is based on LOOT) do its job, errors like this wouldn't occur.

ALso, you definitely NEED a conflict resolution patch with such a large load order. Use a "bashed patch" from Wrye Bash or (IMHO even better) a "smashed patch" created with "Mator Smash".

In general, you got all the good, memory heavy, complex and potentially "dangerous" stuff: Multiple large scale new land mods, lots of mods adding NPCs, massive changes to wildlife, Open Cities and other town overhauls... Having SOME of these kind of mods is fine, using them all together might cause issues. To be clear: I'm not blaming any of the mods I mentioned for anything. They work and are great mods on their own. But there's a point, when a game gets simply "overmodded". IMHO, you've reached that point. It's also this combination of large and complex mods, that makes troubleshooting very difficult. Often it's not "that one mod", but a combination of mods (which are otherwise totally fine), that makes a game crash...

Sorry to say, but I'm not sure, if your issues can be corrected without building up your load order again from the ground. It's also important to only add mods piece by piece (2 or 3, maybe 5 at a time). Then run LOOT (or Vortex' sorting option) and TEST. If you have issues, get them straight before installing anything new. I know, it takes time and all. But that's the only way to build up large (and stable) load orders...

I definitely appreciate your in-depth reply. A part of me figured I was pushing the limits with what I had installed, but I silenced those doubts and just jumped into it anyway.

I'll rethink what mods I chose and consider what I really want and don't want and rebuild my load order from the ground up like you suggested. As it turns out, you're right. I don't have a lot of experience in the technical side of it and so I hadn't even considered that maybe my game was unstable simply by the virtue of what I was trying to accomplish. So thank you.

Hey there. I'm a noob when it comes to mods and load order. I have wrye bash and it said something about merging some mods/plugins into a bashed patch. How is this done? I didn't see an option to do it and I don't want to play around with stuff I don't have any clue about.

I auto sort my plugins using vortex and it still put some stuff in places they shouldn't be. Then I have to manually set the load order.

I noticed that, too. Like alternate start and Open Cities are apparently supposed to go near/at the bottom, but it auto sorts them higher up in their own categories.

As far as Wrye Bash goes, you find the BashedPatch.esp in the plugin list in Wrye Bash and right click it. It should have an option that says to rebuild patch. Click that, and you might get a text box saying "These mods need to be disabled to create the bashed patch." That's fine. Click "Ok" and continue. Next will be another contextual box. Click near the bottom where it says "Build Patch". Sort your load order, again, run FNIS (if you're using it) and then launch the game through SKSE like normal.