[LE] Help needed with activator script

TyburnKetch

I've tried linking the two activators through activate and enable parents - both with this script to no avail. Would the script need a tweak?

'Activate on parent only' has never been ticked in my tests.

The script makes no reference to making sure the player hits it ... no reference to player hit on the activators either.

Magic effects is something I haven't yet tested. Thank you for pointing it out.

Edited by TyburnKetch

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try this: You have one set up where the activator kicks off the portals on the EXT (external view, i take it).

Make it so that same set up is on the internal view so you can do the same thing from the inside and it works on the inside and the same thing from the outside and it works on the outside.

Take out any Xmarker links between the inside and outside. Now link the inside activator to the outside one with activate parent. Then hide the inside activator behind a wall or something.

I take it you only want to activate it from the outside.

I've been up all night working on a unity game. I can't even keep my eyes open at this point.

I'll check back when I get up.

I see no reason why what I just told you wouldn't work ...

Two setups that work on their own not linked together in anyway. Then just the inside activator linked to the outside activator with the activation parents tab.

If not I'll create this myself in the Creation Kit and we will figure this out, ok ...

I'll need to know what activator you are using and what portal.

Edited by NexusComa

Thank you again for your continued support. It's funny ... the thought crossed my mind to try hiding the INT activator in a wall a while back in testing ... but i never got round to it.

I did exactly what you suggested and unfortunately it still isn't working.

I left the INT activator visable to test and it seemed like there was some kind of state block going on. Occasionally i would activate one then go to the other and when activated i'd get the sound effect but nothing would happen. I'd activate it again and it would work (either turn on or off).

Does the script need a tweak? The activate parent seems to be talking to the INT activator - but it's not firing it's script - or if it is the states seem in a muddle - giving the impression it's not working.

The portal ring i'm using is just a static - skyhavenbloodring04 (x2 - backing into each other) - and the activator is CasSCPortalBowl01D ... and then all the xmarkers.

Well ... I don't have the CasSCPortalBowl01D that must be from an expansion or something. So I can't test that ...

I am working on a few mods, one I've been at for a few years now, so I'm unwilling to change anything in my Creation Kit startup for now.

I have all the expansions but I don't use them from the Creation Kit. Also I have never seen this portal bowl as even with over 1682 hours playtime in the Creation Kit

I only have under 100 hours playtime in the game. Mostly popping in to test my mods. I like to create player home mods to relax after work.
(Yes, my job is a programer and I program to relax too, I know, I know :) ).

What I suggested should have worked. So I'm guessing it is that bowl activator is giving you problems.

It is possible that bowl port is linked to a Global and/or a Questline preventing it from working a 2nd time or some other kind of hook.

When I use things from the game that are linked to quests. I will rename the base object, hit yes on make a new one and use my own cleaned out version of it.

That way I know I'm not breaking anything or getting strange "hooks" like the one you seem to have going on. Then store my version of the object in a .bsa file.

IF you can set off the portal from the outside multiple times and set off the portal from the inside multiple times with them not having anything to do with each other.

Than bar that portal having some type of hook I don't see why a linked activate parent set on the inside activator to the outside activator wouldn't work out ...

After a few hours testing I can say that this problem persists no matter what activator i use :sad:

I've tried static meshes turned into activators, vanilla activators - I've kept the refID the same on both INT and EXT activators. I've also changed their refID's (as i always would normally)

The script continues to work - but only in the cell the activator is placed in. Activate parents has always been the INT being run by the EXT Activator.

I've tried different magic effects, i've even changed the sound file on activate on the activators - No joy.

I've tested with new activators, new markers, a simplified script (that retains the states) to get a magic effect to shoot from one marker to another. The spell fires in the cell the activator is in ... not in the cell it isn't.

As a side note i set up a simple Norportculis (EXT) to have an activate parent (NorPullChain - placed in the INT cell) and it worked perfectly.

I'm so lost now.

Either my script isn't up to it (or activators don't run the script when its parent tells them to) - or it is the fact i'm calling on magic effects. My effects are: THPortalEffect (aimed, concentration - the effect from the centre to outside the ring), THPortalEffect2 (aimed, fire and forget, everything blank - needed to give the appearence of the portal being off) and THPortalEffect3 (aimed, concentration - the effect from an outside xmarker to another outside marker)

These effects all work great - they just don't want to carry over to a different cell.

I genuinly don't know what to try now.

It's crazy. I looked at this part of my mod and thought it would be fairly straight forward ... it's turning into my biggest challenge.

Edited by TyburnKetch

Again I don't have them PortalEffects so I can't look at them or test them. I wish I could help you more.

If the scripts works then it works ... It has to be some other problem. Don't make the mistake of creating

10 more errors trying to fix one error ...

I did make a portal for one of my mods. That jumps you in the same cell but I think it would work for you as I don't cast it.

I don't know what your portals are doing now as far as how they are porting you. So this may not work.

The portal effect MAGINVSummon can be set up and disabled then just enabled so you can see it.

It may not be as flashy but it is solid. The Portal_to and Portal_from are both MAGINVSummon objects setup

where I need them and this works well. Maybe you could use this for what you're doing.

Scriptname _RGD_TowerPortal extends ObjectReference
;* Portal * By: NexusComa * ; nexusmods.com
ObjectReference Property Portal_to Auto
ObjectReference Property Portal_from Auto
Sound Property MAGConjurePortal Auto
Actor Property PlayerRef Auto
Int QF = 0
;
Event OnInit()
GoToState("Done")
EndEvent
;-----------------------
Event OnActivate(ObjectReference akActionRef)
If(akActionRef==(PlayerRef))
If(QF==(0))
QF=(1)
Portal_to.Enable()
Portal_from.Enable(true)
Utility.Wait(0.5)
MAGConjurePortal.Play(Portal_to)
Utility.Wait(0.5)
Portal_to.Disable(true)
Portal_from.Disable()
Utility.Wait(1.0)
QF=(0)
EndIf
EndIf
EndEvent
;-----------------------
State Done
; do nothing
EndState
;
This is being triggered from when I open a Bookshelf. I'm sure any activator would work however.
The thing is this will port you the moment you activate it and you can't see the portal till that moment.
So ... bla. But the MAGINVSummon object is easy to work with as I said just an enable or disable.
You may be able to figure out a way to use this effect for you as you don't need to cast it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should have mentioned this is just the effect part of this. The actual "portal" is coming from the bookshelf door.
Edited by NexusComa

Thank you for this. Your script has given me some food for thought.

Iâm going to try compiling a new script when I next get a chance - mainly for the INT activator.

Iâm starting to think the cast function may be a problem between cells. Last test I made an Ext activator with the simplest of scripts telling an xmarker in my int cell to fire a spell at another xmarker in the int cell on activate. No states. Just one simple command. Nothing. Was a concentration aimed spell. A spell that works consistently with multiple cell loads when the activator is in the same cell as the XMarkers.

Going to try to think of another route along the lines of having two activators still. Just a different script.

Will update you how I get on.

Thank you again so much for all your suggestions and time. I really appreciate it.

Edited by TyburnKetch