Request for inventory limitation mods

DDLove

Hey guys, I've been trying to challenge myself in Fallout 4 without switching to survival mode.

I have carry weight mods that force my carry weight to very miniscule numbers, but I'm past level 23 and now I'm getting by pretty well just tossing a few items here and there. I have too many guns, and I love that. I don't want to.

I guess what I want is a way to limit the number of weapons I can carry with me regardless of their weight values. Like how Call of Duty limits you to 2 guns by default, plus a knife and grenades, and tactical grenades. Like how Halo limits you to 2 weapons plus up to 4 types of grenades in some games. I believe Far Cry also does something like this. Battlefield does this. This will greatly increase the challenge for me, and cause me to make more tactical decisions with my inventory.

I also wonder if I should have a limit on apparel I can carry, regardless of weight.

Do any mods for these things exist? Are they even possible?

No, I think it would have already been made if so. I mean possible, but just a complete overhaul of everything and too much work is probably why.

I always liked the item system of many survival games that use a grid type system and items take up squares, Originally from Resident Evil and probably older RPG games like Zelda or something, idk though. Fallout has always been ridiculous. I somehow have 23 desk fans and a mini nuke launcher concealed in my Lycra outfit.

I Like hardcore gameplay too and will set carry weight to 20, making backpacks a necessity. With back pack you can carry about 50-60 pounds. Heavy guns like mini gun require PA to use unless you are willing to use them in an over encumbered state.

With something like 50 pounds you won't be carrying many guns around. It seems like not very much weight and your character should probably be able to carry more, but everything is very light when it comes to misc items etc. its easier to lower overall carry weight than it is to raise individual items.

Also, IDK why, but if you use Horizon, it lowers the weight of a lot of items, which seems strange coz it seems that mod is supposed to me aimed at a survival experience.

I have "plausible or realistic weight" mods for almost every item... except I did make some items weightless cus im not 100% hardcore (most junk is weightless I think, but not the bigger stuff) but even my caps have weight on any difficulty.

I don't get why it would be so hard. I think the same inventory could still be used, just a script that doesn't allow you to pick up a new weapon if you already have X many.

Maybe a hybrid with a "visible holstered weapons" type mod; two small guns can be attached like a pistol, one or two big gun(s) on your back. Melee I guess would also be similar to a side arm.

With Fallout Script Extender this all might even be possible with Papyrus scripts.

I know a little bit about using the Creation Kit, but I know nothing about Papyrus and if I were to rate my own modding capability I'd give myself a 1 out of 10. I don't even know how to properly write and apply scripts in the Creation Kit.

yeah scripts are not my thing either. I want to learn it but I just can't get excited about it when I start researching it.

You are probably right though, a script could probably be made that checks for keywords on the items in your inventory and displays a msg when you have the maximum and try to pick up another one.

Edited by Guest

This could get really annoying when arming your settlers. You'd have to make repeated trips back to your workshop or containers just to give them weapons and armor. The limitation would ignore the possibility that you could simply carry a large stack of stuff in your arms. In my opinion, it would seem easier to just self-regulate how many weapons you allow yourself to carry around be able to utilize at a given moment.

This could get really annoying when arming your settlers. You'd have to make repeated trips back to your workshop or containers just to give them weapons and armor. The limitation would ignore the possibility that you could simply carry a large stack of stuff in your arms. In my opinion, it would seem easier to just self-regulate how many weapons you allow yourself to carry around be able to utilize at a given moment.

I dont care about settlers thats actually my least favorite part of the game. Plus... if I really get annoyed I have infinite carry weight for dogmeat lol... I usually use that to dispose of things, but if I get desperate I hope I can find the guy...

Maybe if I could have an army of followers rather than settlers, I might find that fun... companions do so much more damage than I do :wallbash:

Try Fallsouls and limit yourself to only two or three quickslots. You'll get get close to that limited feeling anyway.

Do I have to update to the latest version of Fallout 4 for that? Is there finally a F4SE for that, and... will that not assumably break some of my mods?

I dont care about settlers thats actually my least favorite part of the game. ... Plus... if I really get annoyed I have infinite carry weight for dogmeat lol... I usually use that to dispose of things, but if I get desperate I hope I can find the guy...

Edit: Oh, speaking of carry weight... codsworth seems to have none, and Nick has very, VERY little. I haven't really tried to shove stuff in anyone else's pockets yet.

Edited by DDLove