Vortex is an unmitigated disaster

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Grestorn

Grestorn

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 696 posts

I never clean up mods and live very good with that. "Uncleaned" mods just overwrite records even though they don't change anything. That's usually not a problem, unless you're using another mod, which is loaded BEFORE the unclean mod and changes one of these 'dirty edit'-records, too.

Which can happen, but it's not THAT common. And you'll always see that in xEdit.

And these days, almost all mods are clean anyway. That bethesda DLCs are unclean is of no relevance, because there's NEVER any mod loaded before any of the Bethesda files, so it just CANNOT cause a problem. Period.

I wouldn't worry so much over this.

Jannifer

Jannifer

dragon goddess

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,106 posts

LOOT is infamous for throwing false positives on "dirty" mods.  If, for example, the mod adds new spawn points, then LOOT will say it's dirty and needs cleaning.  However, if you do that, you remove the new spawn points that may be necessary for the mod to function, which is why there are plenty of mods that specifically say not to clean them.  Veteran authors usually clean their mods before they upload them, so it's extremely rare that one of them would upload a dirty mod.  I'm only concerned if someone says, "This is my first mod."  Then, I might clean it just as a precaution.

Jyotai

Jyotai

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

I never clean up mods and live very good with that. "Uncleaned" mods just overwrite records even though they don't change anything. That's usually not a problem, unless you're using another mod, which is loaded BEFORE the unclean mod and changes one of these 'dirty edit'-records, too.

That's actually exactly why I have cleaned some mods.

Nothing in my current list, but it's happened in the past.

My only issues with Vortex at the moment are two fold:

1. auto-sort - is this on by default or was it my mistake to turn it on. This sorts mods, but not in the same order as LOOT. That mean that everytime I cycled between the two my mods got shuffled. I have a couple of mods that very much depended on keeping themselves in the same place in the load order as they were in when you first started that playthrough... and they were acting very weird on me until I realized this. If this is a default on option, I'd change it to default 'off', or... 'off' if the person links Loot into the list of apps you can connect to Vortex.

2. I've yet to track down the cause of this one, I have theories but not certainty. It seems every so often when I installed and enable a new mod, the esp is NOT enabled. Sometimes it's connected to whether or not I ran LOOT right after adding it (as in disabled until I run LOOT), but I think this is not always the case. Whatever is behind this... if we can track it down, it'd be nice to get fixed.

Otherwise Vortex in it's current state is actually pretty good.

HadToRegister

HadToRegister

Beer Ambassador

• Premium Member
  • 8,802 posts

1. auto-sort - is this on by default or was it my mistake to turn it on. This sorts mods, but not in the same order as LOOT. That mean that everytime I cycled between the two my mods got shuffled. I have a couple of mods that very much depended on keeping themselves in the same place in the load order as they were in when you first started that playthrough... and they were acting very weird on me until I realized this. If this is a default on option, I'd change it to default 'off', or... 'off' if the person links Loot into the list of apps you can connect to Vortex.

2. I've yet to track down the cause of this one, I have theories but not certainty. It seems every so often when I installed and enable a new mod, the esp is NOT enabled. Sometimes it's connected to whether or not I ran LOOT right after adding it (as in disabled until I run LOOT), but I think this is not always the case. Whatever is behind this... if we can track it down, it'd be nice to get fixed.

The people who INSIST on using LOOT and the built in LOOT in Vortex are going to spend their time chasing their tail, rather than playing, because they get their load orders set up with Loot in Vortex, then for some unknown reason, decide to screw up what they've just gotten working, by Running LOOT standalone so it conflicts with what they already have working in Vortex.

There's no helping those people because they insist on doing this, rather than just getting rid of Standalone Loot.

sopmac45

sopmac45

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 1,110 posts

The people who INSIST on using LOOT and the built in LOOT in Vortex are going to spend their time chasing their tail, rather than playing, because they get their load orders set up with Loot in Vortex, then for some unknown reason, decide to screw up what they've just gotten working, by Running LOOT standalone so it conflicts with what they already have working in Vortex.

There's no helping those people because they insist on doing this, rather than just getting rid of Standalone Loot.

+ 1  ….. why should I worry about using LOOT outside Vortex when LOOT inside Vortex is doing the job automatically for me ? I do not find any reason. We have been advising to let the auto-sort ON so you can completely forget about sorting your plugins and concentrate exclusively on resolving you rmod conflicts ( if any ). 

But this is a free world. You want to continue using LOOT outside Vortex ? Fine, no problem about that … but do yourself a favor, do not use both, otherwise, I am asking you and please answer : what is your purpose ? 

Page loaded in: 0.758 seconds