Vortex is an unmitigated disaster

LeadvilleMatt

I never clean up mods and live very good with that. "Uncleaned" mods just overwrite records even though they don't change anything. That's usually not a problem, unless you're using another mod, which is loaded BEFORE the unclean mod and changes one of these 'dirty edit'-records, too.

Which can happen, but it's not THAT common. And you'll always see that in xEdit.

And these days, almost all mods are clean anyway. That bethesda DLCs are unclean is of no relevance, because there's NEVER any mod loaded before any of the Bethesda files, so it just CANNOT cause a problem. Period.

I wouldn't worry so much over this.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOOT is infamous for throwing false positives on "dirty" mods. If, for example, the mod adds new spawn points, then LOOT will say it's dirty and needs cleaning. However, if you do that, you remove the new spawn points that may be necessary for the mod to function, which is why there are plenty of mods that specifically say not to clean them. Veteran authors usually clean their mods before they upload them, so it's extremely rare that one of them would upload a dirty mod. I'm only concerned if someone says, "This is my first mod." Then, I might clean it just as a precaution.

I never clean up mods and live very good with that. "Uncleaned" mods just overwrite records even though they don't change anything. That's usually not a problem, unless you're using another mod, which is loaded BEFORE the unclean mod and changes one of these 'dirty edit'-records, too.

That's actually exactly why I have cleaned some mods.

Nothing in my current list, but it's happened in the past.

My only issues with Vortex at the moment are two fold:

1. auto-sort - is this on by default or was it my mistake to turn it on. This sorts mods, but not in the same order as LOOT. That mean that everytime I cycled between the two my mods got shuffled. I have a couple of mods that very much depended on keeping themselves in the same place in the load order as they were in when you first started that playthrough... and they were acting very weird on me until I realized this. If this is a default on option, I'd change it to default 'off', or... 'off' if the person links Loot into the list of apps you can connect to Vortex.

2. I've yet to track down the cause of this one, I have theories but not certainty. It seems every so often when I installed and enable a new mod, the esp is NOT enabled. Sometimes it's connected to whether or not I ran LOOT right after adding it (as in disabled until I run LOOT), but I think this is not always the case. Whatever is behind this... if we can track it down, it'd be nice to get fixed.

Otherwise Vortex in it's current state is actually pretty good.

1. auto-sort - is this on by default or was it my mistake to turn it on. This sorts mods, but not in the same order as LOOT. That mean that everytime I cycled between the two my mods got shuffled. I have a couple of mods that very much depended on keeping themselves in the same place in the load order as they were in when you first started that playthrough... and they were acting very weird on me until I realized this. If this is a default on option, I'd change it to default 'off', or... 'off' if the person links Loot into the list of apps you can connect to Vortex.

2. I've yet to track down the cause of this one, I have theories but not certainty. It seems every so often when I installed and enable a new mod, the esp is NOT enabled. Sometimes it's connected to whether or not I ran LOOT right after adding it (as in disabled until I run LOOT), but I think this is not always the case. Whatever is behind this... if we can track it down, it'd be nice to get fixed.

The people who INSIST on using LOOT and the built in LOOT in Vortex are going to spend their time chasing their tail, rather than playing, because they get their load orders set up with Loot in Vortex, then for some unknown reason, decide to screw up what they've just gotten working, by Running LOOT standalone so it conflicts with what they already have working in Vortex.

There's no helping those people because they insist on doing this, rather than just getting rid of Standalone Loot.

The people who INSIST on using LOOT and the built in LOOT in Vortex are going to spend their time chasing their tail, rather than playing, because they get their load orders set up with Loot in Vortex, then for some unknown reason, decide to screw up what they've just gotten working, by Running LOOT standalone so it conflicts with what they already have working in Vortex.

There's no helping those people because they insist on doing this, rather than just getting rid of Standalone Loot.

+ 1 ….. why should I worry about using LOOT outside Vortex when LOOT inside Vortex is doing the job automatically for me ? I do not find any reason. We have been advising to let the auto-sort ON so you can completely forget about sorting your plugins and concentrate exclusively on resolving you rmod conflicts ( if any ).

But this is a free world. You want to continue using LOOT outside Vortex ? Fine, no problem about that … but do yourself a favor, do not use both, otherwise, I am asking you and please answer : what is your purpose ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just my two cents. I downloaded Vortex yesterday, and I'm already switching back to Nexus Mod Manager. The interface is confusing, it lacks basic load order management, has a few bugs like getting stuck trying to install multiple Fallout 4 mods in Fallout 4 VR at the same time (the program freezes at the "Incompatible mods" window and there is no way to close it besides restarting Vortex), and once your download fails (for example, because you lost internet connection for a moment), there's no way to resume or restart it, and you have to remove them and look for those mods on Nexus again. That's unacceptable. Sorry, but in it's current state, it feels like a downgrade from NMM. Maybe I'll try it again when it gets more stable.

Just my two cents. I downloaded Vortex yesterday, and I'm already switching back to Nexus Mod Manager. The interface is confusing, it lacks basic load order management, has a few bugs like getting stuck trying to install multiple Fallout 4 mods in Fallout 4 VR at the same time (the program freezes at the "Incompatible mods" window and there is no way to close it besides restarting Vortex), and once your download fails (for example, because you lost internet connection for a moment), there's no way to resume or restart it, and you have to remove them and look for those mods on Nexus again. That's unacceptable. Sorry, but in it's current state, it feels like a downgrade from NMM. Maybe I'll try it again when it gets more stable.

It's in Beta, and people are using it with no problems.

You need to read the knowledge base and watch the tutorial videos.

Vortex is far more powerful than NMM, which is why people prefer NMM, because you don't need to actually learn anything to use it, it lets you do whatever you want to your load order, which is a bad thing

YOu can just Install Vortex and expect to install mods without taking some time to learn it.

For one, you need to break the bad habit NMM gives you, of micromanaging your PLUGIN load order, you don't need to do that anymore, Vortex will sort it automatically, which allows you to sort the import stuff, Textures and Meshes.

The fact you said it "lacks basic load order management", shows me that you downloaded it, installed it and a couple of mods, and tried to do everything you used to do in NMM, and gave up.

Guest deleted34304850

there really should be a forum simply called "vent" where people can rock up and simply post unmitigated nonsense that we can all ignore.

For instance.

You install two texture mods in NMM, you have to make sure you install MOD A before MOD B because you want MOD B to overwrite MOD A textures, and if you mess up, you have to uninstall BOTH mods and start over

With Vortex, you install MOD A and MOD B, then vortex says MOD A and MOD B have conflicts, so you click on SHOW, and you're brought to a screen where you can tell vortex to load MOD B after MOD A, and vortex will overwrite the proper files.

Now say you messed up, and you told MOD A to overwrite MOD B.
Now all you have to do is tell Vortex to Load MOD B after MOD A, and Vortex restores the overwritten files and overwrites the proper ones.

there really should be a forum simply called "vent" where people can rock up and simply post unmitigated nonsense that we can all ignore.

Honestly I don't know why this thread isn't locked already.

People who claim they "Can't find any help" for a problem that has 100s of threads in the forum, always seem to be able to zero in on the "Vorteaxt Suxxorz" threads with laser guided precision.