Vortex is not fully compatible with The Witcher 3

dutzman

First of all, thank you for all the developer behind Vortex, I appreciate all your works. Unfortunately Vortex isn't compatible with The Witcher 3 right now. The way Vortex handle the game and the mods is just fine, it can recognize the game, the directory, download the mods, and deployed it fine. The problem is in the deployment mode with it's mode, .symlink. Because it's using .symlink the most important tool that the witcher 3 need can't work, Script merger mod can't recognize the mods that Vortex already deployed. Even when I change the mods directory to the actual witcher 3 mods directory Vortex installed, script merger mod can't recognize the mods directory. So it will return blank files. If only Vortex can change how the deployment method used or making script merge integrated in the "Tool" in Vortex, then Vortex and The Witcher will be compatible. I hope you guys(devs) can a solution to this, thank you.

*BTW, feel free to enlighten me if you guys have a solution to this problem.

Edited by dutzman

You can also hard-link deployment with Witcher 3, you just have to ensure that the mod staging folder is on the same drive as the game.

But it's odd that the script merger wouldn't work with symlinks, an application has to explicitly opt-out of supporting symlinks. Maybe the developer can be convinced to not do such a pointless thing?

Hi dutzman,

I cannot quite confirm what you are reporting.

I just installed Fast Travel from Anywhere: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/324?tab=files

and All Quest Objectives on Map https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/943?tab=files

...two popular mods that both edit the same UI component.

After installing and deploying with the default Symlink Deployment method, running Script Merger works just fine and I was able to merge the edits as you would expect:

7LjwUnf.png

Hi dutzman,

I cannot quite confirm what you are reporting.

I just installed Fast Travel from Anywhere: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/324?tab=files

and All Quest Objectives on Map https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/943?tab=files

...two popular mods that both edit the same UI component.

After installing and deploying with the default Symlink Deployment method, running Script Merger works just fine and I was able to merge the edits as you would expect:

7LjwUnf.png

Yes, the Script Merger Screen "LOOKS" like it worked, but I guarantee you, if you go to the folders that those scripts are contained in, you will find 0 byte files.

I know, because I ran into this the other night when setting Witcher 3 up with Symlinks.

The Script merger would go through the motions, and show the report page just like you have in the screenshot, however what was actually produced was 0 byte files of the script files that were supposed to be merged

I got around it by manually copying the files to the directory, as I couldn't change to Hardlink, because I didn't realize that Vortex has set the Witcher's Mod Deployment folder on the C:\ drive, I had assumed it put it with all my other Mod Deployment Folders on the D:\ Drive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is still an issue, tried to install mods with vortex but it doesn't work. it's confusing as NMM used to just work...

YOu need the mod staging folder to be on the same drive as the game.

Also, it's best to use MOVE DEPLOYMENT in order to use the Script Merger with Mods.

I use Vortex with Witcher 3 with no problems

Guest deleted34304850

This is still an issue, tried to install mods with vortex but it doesn't work. it's confusing as NMM used to just work...

then go to vortex support and open a NEW ticket. Don't necro old threads else you won't get a good answer.

*BTW, feel free to enlighten me if you guys have a solution to this problem.

Solution 1- Avoid using Vortex with TW3 Mods. Most users will run into more issues with Vortex than with the alternatives of manual download + manual mod install (if you can read & follow instructions in english) or TW3 Mod Manager mod install (should work for everyone).

Solution 2- If you really want to use Vortex with TW3 Mods, then stick to symlink deployment and make sure to apply the unofficial script merger patch to SM.

Hardlink/move deployment does allow unpatched script merger to use the actual non-empty files when merging, but it can create further issues, example: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/416825592 (the game breaks if there's an empty folder inside the \dlc folder. Using Vortex with hardlink/move deployment to disable/uninstall a mod that uses a dlc folder will leave behind empty folders there. The user will be left with a broken game and no idea how to fix it given that uninstalling mods is already the last step to fix an issue before uninstalling and reinstalling the game, and if he uninstalls/reinstalls from a game launcher menu and doesn't manually delete his game install folder then the empty folder/broken game issue will likely persist after the user's "clean reinstall" with no mods, imagine his despair when reinstalling the game with no mods still doesn't work).

At the risk of going offtopic:

Vortex can also place a mod's files & folders in the wrong place, unlike TW3 Mod Manager. Example: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2788 (it places the FCR3 folder directly inside your \Mods folder instead of placing the \modFCR3 and \modFCR3_padlock folders there).

And without going into the extra features that TW3 Mod Manager offers over Vortex which result in easier and less error-prone mod installing, the point is that with TW3 the only real advantage that I can see Vortex providing over the alternatives is the big red Vortex button on a modpage that autolaunches a mod installing program.

Fewer than 2% of SM users are using the SM patch, I'd assume that the percentage of Vortex users who have fiddled with the deployment setting isn't much better. So Vortex likely creates more issues and makes things more complicated for the ones who click that big red fisher-price button expecting it to be the simplest, least error-prone way of installing TW3 mods, the ones who are likely least well-equipped to deal with vortex-related issues and end up either giving up on mods or flooding mod comment & bug pages with vortex-derived error logs.

Edited by Partoutatix

• 11 months later...