So..... Vortex is basically the worst mod manager?

Lobstasaurus

Again, allow me to reiterate my question. NMM forces vortex as the mod installation platform, as wells as the mod installation destination. How do I just go back to NMM, which I've used for years now, and mod my game that way? I'm not seeing a way to do so, which is why I'm astoundingly disappointed.

"NMM forces Vortex as the mod installation platform as wells as the mod installation destination"

WHAT?

You download an install NMM if you didn't install it, otherwise, it's as simple as turning the File Association back on, you'know, real beginner stuff in the settings screen.

You've used NMM for years and don't even know how to turn it's file association on?

Vortex-NMM-NXM.jpg

Vortex is basically the best mod manager that I've ever used, and I started ten years ago with Wrye Bash and OBMM, which are still fine tools in their own right. I've been successfully using Vortex for the past nine months to manage three games (six profiles). Vortex has a number of outstanding features, three of which I especially enjoy: (1) mod conflict and load order management, (2) profile management, and (3) hardlinks which allow for a clean game data folder. While I recognize that many people are having some genuine issues with Vortex, I have had no serious problems with it. In fact, most of the problems reported on this forum are problems that I've never had. Furthermore, a significant number of those problems are self-inflicted wounds, as most of the veteran participants in this forum can attest.

In regard to NMM, which I used and enjoyed, I remember the many difficulties people had when it was first introduced. Even more I remember the numerous and often loud protests when NMM transitioned to the 0.60.x versions. I stuck with NMM through all of that and found it to be a fine mod manager. In fact, I never had serious issues with NMM, in spite of all the problems other people said they were having. Furthermore, as with Vortex, many of the problems reported with NMM were self-inflicted.

Yes, NMM is functional. It was for me, and it continues to be so for many people. To those folk I say, "Stay with NMM and enjoy your games." By the way, NMM is still available both on the Nexus Mod site and on GitHub.

However, even though NMM worked for me, I wanted something with more and better functionality. I have found that in Vortex.

Let me be clear. The mods installed to Vortex, how do I export them to NMM? How do I designate NMM as the primary mod manager? I want nothing to do with vortex.

Even when selecting "files" of a mod, and selecting NMM download, it downloads it to Vortex.

This is the issue at hand.

Edited by Lobstasaurus

Start Vortex. Click Purge Mods. Exit Vortex. Uninstall Vortex.

There is no "Export mods" function in any mod manager.

If you downloaded the mods to the Vortex download directory, NMM can install them from there.

Bring up NMM and associate downloads with it. There is no such thing as a "primary mod manager".

Yet, it overrides the already functional NMM. Why? What? How? Serious? And these plucks want me to pay for premium?

You joined 3 days ago and your first post was to complain about Vortex without giving any reason why.

lol no. I've used NMM since fo3. Get real. I had to make a new account, since apparently 6 mos inactivity no longer allows you to utilize your account.

Yes, it ruined my game install. Due to issues pertaining to SKSE64.

I could care less about vortex, however, I've installed every mod I intend to use with skyrim se to it. Is there a way to export these mods to NMM, and just use that? I don't need Vortex, as long as I have LOOT and NMM.

Additionally, its ironic that you mention me joining 3 days ago. As that is how long I have been dealing with the Vortex issues whilst trying to mod my game.

At this rate, I'm more inclined to just dump the mods into my data folder, rather than utilize the mod manager as is. At least that way, I can ensure the files are appropriately placed, and exist where they should.

Well, if you have used NMM since Fallout 3, then you know who Tannin is then, am I right ? The creator of MO(2), so do you really think this guy will create another mod manager that will be rated much less than his previous creation or rated as the worse mod manager ever created ? Really ? Would you create something better or worse if it was you ? Just with this logic in place, it is sufficient not to be criticizing or wondering if Vortex is the worse mod manager ever !!

I've never used MO but I knew who was the creator of that mod manager and I heard too many excellent opinions about that program. As soon as I knew that Tannin will create Vortex ( more than 10 months ago ), I knew, from the very beginning and with no previous experience about his previous mod manager, that he will come up with something really much better. That was the sense I had and since he was interviewed, and I knew that Vortex will be my future mod manager.

After 2 years working with NMM, I jumped to Vortex on the very first day it was out for everybody to use. I liked NMM but Vortex is superior, easier and it is what I needed : a mod manager that requires from me a very few actions and the rest is being done automatically by it ... and, whatever action I need to do when installing a new game, is really nothing in compare to what I get out of it. And in relation to Vortex setup for the very first time, well, it does needs to be done only one time, so basically, and those who have been working successfully with it can back me up, there is practically nothing that we can do to make our games run smooth and reliable, except for resolving some mod conflict rules.

There is one nice guy participating in this forum ( do not remember his nickname ) that only had to resolve one single mod conflict rule for his entire game which btw, was loaded with more than 150 mods. Let me tell you, that is remarkable amazing !! Only one action to make his game run smooth and reliable. Definitely, you cannot get that in NMM. The rest was done by Vortex, automatically !!

But ... here is the great SECRET that obviously is not, we, the 'privileged' hundreds using Vortex, have taken some time to read, investigate, watch videos to learn it and btw, it has not been that much of reading but willingness to learn it with an open mind and trusting in Tannin and it was worth to put some faith on him.

Vortex is not the worse mod manager. It is much better, far superior and easier than NMM. But as you already were advised by others in this thread, you can go back to NMM and there is nothing wrong by doing that at all. One day you'll be back and will realize that you were wrong. Happy gaming !

Great response. I understand vortex may be easier to use for you, and if it takes less effort, and does the work for you, good. Again, I will say, I want to go back to NMM, however, the mods I've installed to vortex are lost to NMM. You wrote a lot, several paragraphs worth, but did not address my actual issues.

Good for you, if vortex makes it easy to mod games. I'm not looking for easy, however. I prefer the interface, and accessibility of NMM. It's a good story, however, your first times with vortex etc.

Happy Gaming!

Edited by Lobstasaurus

If you downloaded the mods to the Vortex download directory, NMM can install them from there.

Bring up NMM and associate downloads with it. There is no such thing as a "primary mod manager".

How? NMM 65.2 shows no mods. It shows the plugins, but no mods are listed.

Here is a simple copy from the NMM forum:

"as for manually installing mods, there is a button just for that

in the NMM Mod page, the first button is "Add Mod From File"

click it, and then select the file you want to add

note that the file needs to be either a mod file (like ones created by NMM), or archives (rar, 7zip etc)"

Yes. I understand how to add a mod from file to NMM. That is not, nor has been, what I am asking.

Again, allow me to reiterate.

The mods I have installed to the Vortex directory, are not accessible by NMM. How do I access the vortex mods via NMM.

You literally just told me how to add a mod to NMM as a file, rather than via the NMM downloader. That is not the issue at hand.

Edited by Lobstasaurus