So..... Vortex is basically the worst mod manager?

Lobstasaurus

Lets start again.

Vortex broke my game.

I'd like to go back to NMM, since it is the MM I'm most comfortable with, and has the accessibility I am most familiar with regarding troubleshooting mod conflicts.

The only more accessible means of troubleshooting mod conflicts, to my knowledge, is directly dumping the mods into the DATA folder, which is a time consuming process, requiring multiple back-ups for when s#*! breaks.

I gave Vortex a shot, and downloaded some 400ish mods to it. Realizing my mistake, I don't want anything to do with vortex, however, due to the quatntity of mods downloaded, I'd like to just be able to move them over to NMM instead of having to find each one individually, and download them to NMM instead of Vortex.

In other words. They are already downloaded to vortex, I dont want to redownload them to NMM. There MUST be a way to redirect the path so that NMM can access the mods downloaded to vortex, allowing me the opportunity to use NMM instead.

Is what I am saying still unclear?

Yes. I understand how to add a mod from file to NMM. That is not, nor has been, what I am asking.

Again, allow me to reiterate.

The mods I have installed to the Vortex directory, are not accessible by NMM. How do I access the vortex mods via NMM.

You literally just told me how to add a mod to NMM as a file, rather than via the NMM downloader. That is not the issue at hand.

I can't say it any plainer - you can't transfer mods from Vortex to NMM. NMM has no import facility. Install the mods into NMM from the downloaded copies.

Tried copying the vortex directory from roaming into the NMM directory as well. No dice there. Wasted an hour copying 45 gigs for no reason. Basically, use Vortex at your own risk. There is no going back. At least with NMM, you can upgrade to vortex. You can not downgrade from vortex.

Nop, doesn't work either. The folders created by vortex aren't able to be dropped into NMM via file transfer. Whatever. Back to square one I guess. Another 3 days of sorting through 15k mods and downloading them via NMM I suppose. So happy I used vortex.

Have you tried to drag and drop the individual mod archives from the Vortex downloads folder into your NMM interface? That used to work for me in my NMM days, because I always manually downloaded mods. After completing game discovery for NMM, you then select the game for which the mods are designed and start dragging and dropping. NMM will place those archives into a game specific folder. In NMM itself those archives will be displayed as uninstalled mods. You need to proceed slowly, however, because NMM sometimes gets indigestion (at least it did for me). Admittedly, this will be a lengthy process, given the number of mods you have, but it is much faster than downloading them all over again.

While dragging and dropping, do not try to install anything. Your first task is simply to get all your mod archives transferred over to NMM. Once the transfer is complete, then shut Vortex down, if you have not already done se. (If you leave both Vortex and NMM running at the same time, they are both trying to access the same Plugins.txt file, and that results in mega-problems.) Then start installing the mods displayed in NMM.

This procedure always worked for me. I hope it works for you.

Edited by Augusta Calidia

Incredible thread.

If someone wonders why this world is falling appart, he just has to read this.

People who can't be bothered to read and understand are immediately jumping at the next thing to blame their own inadequacy on. And they never falter, never ever accept that THEY could have been wrong. The world always has to magically adapt to their mind, even if that's totally unreasonable.

Tried copying the vortex directory from roaming into the NMM directory as well. No dice there. Wasted an hour copying 45 gigs for no reason. Basically, use Vortex at your own risk. There is no going back. At least with NMM, you can upgrade to vortex. You can not downgrade from vortex.

Mods you install with a given manager are then managed by that manager, it has always been that way. Vortex gives you the option of importing mods, which will make them managed by Vortex even when they have been initially installed with e.g. NMM.

It does not work the other way around. NMM is unable to do something like that. Mods you have not installed with NMM will remain invisible to NMM.

I think this is where your confusion is coming from.

You are not upgrading to nor downgrading from Vortex. Vortex and NMM are different pieces of software (mod managers). It is up to you to choose which one you would like to use and both are still available.

I've been trying for a month and a half to get Vortex working flawlessly with Fallout New Vegas. And it just isn't happening. My advice:

USE ANOTHER MANAGER FOR ARCHIVE INVALIDATION

I'm currently using FOMM, and although it's a pain to toggle Archive Invalidation on/off after every change. It's the only way I've found to utilize Vortex's more 'fluid' functionality.

Now I'm poking around with LODgen and THAT doesn't work either.

Edit (zcul) 19 Nov 2018:
Last paragraph removed as it contains an offensive remark towards other users.
Forum and Commenting Guidelines (excerpt):
Be Civil!

• Do not post personally or generally insulting remarks towards someone else, or a group of people.

https://help.nexusmods.com/article/22-forum-and-commenting-guidelines