[LE] Nifskope and Collision

Myst42

I've been trying to set up a modified version of the Eye of Magnus barrier for self defense spell purposes

I think I can manage to rescale the file just fine, but the whole point of the spell, was the mesh's collision

I need it to match the visual effect.

Problem is all my attempts to rescale have ended up with either a rescaled visual and a larger collision, or a rescaled visual and a completely useless/nonexistant collision

So how can I do this?

I' dont even think I'm trying to make too much of a complex thing here, I only need a sphere collision that I can resize the same as the visual.

On spell cast, this mesh appears, player stays inside and becomes protected.

Anybody knows?

Edited by Myst42

Why not "resize" the Barrier from the Creation Kit with scale (one of the options on the object itself).

You can also click on the Barrier then hold down S and move the mouse to re-scale it.

The object your seeing in the Creation Kit cell, the one you dropped in your cell and now can see it, is not the actual Creation Kit base object you just pulled into the cell.

It is a reference object now pointed at the base object for it's object data. You can change that as easy as you change what direction it's facing.

You just don't want to change it's base object in this case as in most cases.

That is hard to word without looking confusing ...

When you drop an object in the cell you can then turn it anyway you like right ...

Well, if you double click that object you can see where you can edit that angle too.

Right on the bottom there is a scale option. Change that to whatever you like and the collision will scale with it.

The only time you work directly with the base object is when you are going to change the base object it in some way you can't do using the reference object's options.

In that case you copy the base object and rename it to a new base object you can then use freely without hurting the other reference objects pointed at that base object already in the game.

In this case your doing a scale that can done with the reference object's options. No need to mess with the base object at all.

I most every case you do not want to change any base object in the game. If you have to, you make a your own base object as I mentioned.

Bla bla bla ... just drag the barrier in your cell then double click it and use the scale option ... have fun.

Edited by NexusComa

Why not "resize" the Barrier from the Creation Kit with scale (one of the options on the object itself).

Because I'm not trying yo change a placed prop world item

The barrier gets placed by a spell as a "hazard" object

AFAIK, that mechanic can't be used to place a re-scaled object reference, it needs to place a base object.

Also, looking though nifskope, I've noticed nodes can even be added from within the program, no need to use ChunkMerge or Blender or 3dsmAX as some pages suggest.

This provided what I'm trying to do is simple

I dont think I need complex collision, I think a re-scalable sphere would suffice

Problem is I don't know how to add that sphere and make it work (and replace the existing collision system). There are plenty of options that look like they could work, but on practice, it needs a correct tree and combination. IE a sphere mesh, a sphere collision object, there is collision data, collision type and a million other choices, most of which when tried, end up causing insta CTD mesh.

Edited by Myst42

I give up ... Tried many ways seemed to be just hacking. That is an odd object because it spins. It's made for a quest you have to take down the barrier. The collision is a mile out due to that. You can see the collision from NifSkope with version 2.0 dev7. No way to edit it from there however. Looks like 3d Studio Max can do it with an import and export and a plugin ... There is way you remove branch on the whole collision block then put mesh box out there right click it / havok / Create Convex Shape set it to 1.0 and generate a collison-ish mesh around it. It has holes however. Seems you need to raise the 1.0 or was it lower .. anyways to stop the holes you need way to many vectors seems hacky. There is a way to put in a different object's mesh that matches the size you want. But you have to find that mesh because you can't size that one either ... again seems too hacky. Game oddly crashes on cell load or not. Loads one time fine crashes the next ... ????

All too hacky ... There is a huge way to do it from Blender. It says it may work or not need plugins (that I have). But the instructions that can be found at the blender site are a mile long and I honestly don't want to learn all that for this ... with a may work or not condition. Pretty sure I've hit that way already. I do know how to edit the crap out of meshes in NifSkope and tried just the substitute method. From meshes created the blender way. It was like the former attempt. Randomly hit and miss. Again too hacky to take seriously ...

So that leaves two ways:

The 3d Studio Max way (I don't own that) you may be able to find someone that has it and can push you out a new .nif with a proper collision.

or

I can make it so there is no collison by just removing the collision block with remove branch and it will run solid with no collision. Depending on how you're using this as in you're spawning it with you in the middle. You could create a sphere or box in the Creation Kit that would be invisible from game and be able to block anything crossing in or out. They are made like activator boxes with an option set to block. The game uses them too. You could use a script to move it in from set up cell and center it around you. But I've not tested this with you on the inside ever. You may need to build a box from walls made that way ...

I've looked around extensively. This seems to be a problem for all for a long time. If I was you ... I would just try to look for someone to add a collionson to that .nif with 3d Studio Max. As from what I've seen is the only truly solid way.

It was a fun puzzle I learned a bunch. But I lack the tool that is really needed. :sad:

Good luck!

Edited by NexusComa

I give up ...

Dammit

I dont really know anyone who can do 3dsMax stuff and is willing to help

I know lots of things about Blender, but all my Blender knowledge is Oblivion related, and collision has always been way more confusing to me than armors.

Any chance that long method works? What is it?

Fake it. Get some object that has collision that is roughly the same shape, maybe the nord guard towers or some hollow cylinder and place it over the barrier effect and give it a null texture so it can't be seen. Even some walls might work, it would be a cube instead of a sphere but might not matter if the size was close.

Right... I guess I'll have to take the long road and practically learn how to make the entire nif again, just do add a sphere collision box

ChunkMerge sounds tedious but the page tutorial looks doable

The other tutorial looks messy. Not sure exactly what the guy is trying to pull off in it. It's also an eternal WIP. But there is something about importing/exporting from Blender and Skyrim format it seems?

Could be useful since I've never been able to bypass the exporting part of the process. I can Import just fine, but try to export, an my Skyrim stuff is always corrupted.

Thoretically, I could Import nif, get rid of the native collision, make a sphere one and export?

I guess the animation deal is an extra complication since that's another thing I still dont quite understand how to overcome in Blender. Exporting animated meshes.

Any way to know if this can even happen?

Also what's the best way to delete the native collision of my mesh without corrupting it?

*Sigh, all this trouble. A goddamn sphere collision...

Edited by Myst42

I went to the branch for collision and used delete branch and took out all collision and it worked fine. I assume you will be casting this on yourself so It shouldn't be too hard to add a collision box on cast.

I figured out a way to get the collision on one of the two rings and that put it right where you needed it. But, sadly the objects spins oddly and it literally rolled itself away (kinda funny actually).