I'm going to be frank with whoever reads this and try to explain this in the best way possible. Bear in mind, I have no programming skills, no idea at all what it is I'm doing. I see a ';' and all I see is a semicolon, not a script element or whatever it is you call it.
I cannot emphasise how little I know about this. My understanding of this topic is so barren it could suck Windows out of Bill Gates' mind in a short conversation. I don't even know how to write a digit in binary. There are cats who could sit better code than I can. If I were in charge of a major government file and you told me no single button could do the opposite of what you want, I would press that button having no clue what I had just done.
DO NOT under any circumstances assume I know what is I'm doing. So upon browsing various tutorials that agreed, yes, Vortex is easy to install. No, there aren't any compatibility issues with your Windows version. Of Course, the entire thing is automatic, there's nothing you need to do.

Except for the fact that there MUST be some compatibility issue because I, with an archaic laptop running a partially fossilised Windows 8.1 that can somehow support Skyrim well enough that I'm not running in to invisible NPCs in Custard Ash textures, end up with a shadow of a Vortex that can't be supported by anything else (even itself. I guess that explains the namesake) and shows up as a 67.4MB .35 file called "Vortex-1-0-16-12-1541496166.35". And no, I don't have the money to go premium so I'm doing this for naught. I'm also using Internet Explorer if that helps, Version 11.0.9600.18538 - update version 11.0.38. And before you pick up your pitchforks, I WILL get chrome at some point.

You ever watch the scene in Fullmetal Allchemist when Ed and Al try to resurrect their mum? Like that, but Vortex.

If you've gotten this far, a .35 file is Windows' way of telling you it has no clue what it's looking at and recommends perhaps WMP or Paint to open the file if you don't wish t peruse the store in search of a relevant program. Picture an overweight, sweaty man in a blue shirt and cargo pants with a fanny pack full of adapters and keyboard keys that tend to go missing, whose keyboard on the backseat of his self-employed utility vehicle has more seasoning in it than Dorito's supply line scratching his head with his lanyard full of keys at a big unidentified file in your cabinet going, "Yep. Looks like a code 35 to me. We get this sorta thing all the time, it's no biggie. Have you tried opening it with Paint?"

As much faith as I can put in to Paint, I'm not too sure how well it can manage my mods, of which I am just getting in to. I have no experience in this and, quite frankly, it's a little disheartening.

I found some thread that mentioned making changes to the .ini file. I know about the .ini file enough to know where it is and not what everything in it does specifically (what does LOD mean??). I had to change it when Skyrim's waters were opaque. It was like swimming through old mustard.

I want to make a note that this file could be a piece of a step that I have completely disregarded which means this rant/query means diddly squat and sounds a darn tootin' like this ragtail knows how to make a scene out of silverware.
If this is so, please by all means guide me toward the best, most recommended step-by-step guide to dealiong with this utter monstrosity

I just hope this isn't one of those forums where this is deleted for being too similar to a post that won't show up in the search bar for the simple reason of not meeting the appropriate search terms, or being mixed up with some other issue that has no significance to this post. Make no mistake - I've scoured the globe in search of someone with this exact problem and nothing seems to mention this. No mention of a .35 file anywhere in any step or issue, nobody with 8.1 wanting to use Vortex (which, honestly, the whole thing reminds me of a smaller company being taken over by a giant corporation run by sales reps that think Vortex is a name you're supposed to hear dreamily in the wind of a Noir film and sounds way better and more peppy than Nexus Mod Manager).

Tl;dr Vortex downloads as .35, or unidentified, file, and won't open in my computer running Windows 8.1 via Internet Explorer. I've never modded before and have no clue what I'm doing. I need to know what I'm doing If I'm going to do this right. any help would be amazing.

Rename Vortex.35 to Vortex.exe

Â

And stop using whatever antivirus that keeps renaming exe files to .35 files

I could kiss you!! You've made my whole week, you beautiful human being. I will light candles for you, or whatever people do to make sure their life pans out well.

And I am in the market for a new antivirus software. McAfee and the Windows Firewall seem to be made out of rice paper. What would you recommend?

Glad you got this worked out. As you go forward:

"Vortex downloads as .35, or unidentified, file, and won't open in my computer running Windows 8.1 via Internet Explorer. I've never modded before and have no clue what I'm doing."

That was really all you had to tell us. Tell us exactly what you did, what happened and the name of the file involved. And responses vary based on your proficiency level.

Come back if / when you have another problem.

Rename Vortex.35 to Vortex.exe

Â

And stop using whatever antivirus that keeps renaming exe files to .35 files

I could kiss you!! You've made my whole week, you beautiful human being. I will light candles for you, or whatever people do to make sure their life pans out well.

And I am in the market for a new antivirus software. McAfee and the Windows Firewall seem to be made out of rice paper. What would you recommend?

Hahaha, best response ever! :D

Oh lordy, McAfee is kind of a virus in itself, it installs EVERYWHERE in your system.

I use Kaspersky currently, but there's also stuff like ESET NOD32 etc.

I'm not crazy about BitDefender either, that was another Antivirus that was difficult to remove from my system