Armor, Outfits & Weapons- Ease of Finding Suggestion

Leiana

I thought I would express my thoughts here with respect to custom weapons, armor & outfits, not to discourage authors and artists from creating and uploading such, but rather to encourage them to make these things more accessible to players interested in simply 'checking them out', so to speak.

Too often I find a mod which has something interesting which I'd like to play around with in game, yet to my utter frustration, and far too often, authors think themselves clever and hide these custom creations in some far, out of the way location, obscured in some some secret nook or cranny, which takes entirely too long to reach, search for, and find the item. Apologies to the content creators, but if it takes me 2 hours in game to find your item, I don't even care about your incredible new thing anymore. By that point, I'm so frustrated that I uninstall your mod and forget it.

My suggestion to authors when implementing your works into the game is to pick a very convenient location, which is centrally located and place your item(s) there. In this fashion, users can download the mod, install it, log into the game, go to that easily accessed location, pick your item up, and try it out. Hiding your awesome, new, totally amazing item under a rock out in the middle of nowhere because you think that's a super duper clever thing to do is no way to get you endorsements or votes, IMO. Yay, so you've created the bestestest itemist evah! since ground wheat was baked into bread, but if I have to waste an hour searching for it and still haven't found it, guess what? I uninstall your mod.

I propose the following: How about some enterprising creator make a market area in game. An area with a merchant or three which new items can be added to their shopping list. Create a new wizbang? Excellent! Add it to the market vendor and let us go there and buy it. Just please stop hiding your stuff under rocks.

Thanks,

Leiana

Mod authors 'hide' their items in various places for gameplay purposes. Superior weapons or armour shouldn't be easily available (although some are) and it's unreasonable to ask modders to make two versions of their mod, a live one and a test one. Your market suggestion is interesting but at this stage of the game it won't fly because the ratio of new items to existing items which aren't going to get an update is hundreds to one. In any case it's not necessary. Using tools and the console you can check any item quite easily.

e.g. Load up FO3Edit, find the item id in the pertinent mod, then ingame use the console command player.additem [item id] [amount]. Or if you know where it is just look up the cell id online and COC to it.

Edited by blackrat99