Fallout 4 Ground Zero

Swordsguy2010

I'm wondering, in fallout 4 in the pre war section of the game, when you see the nuke explode, the location of that detonation seems to be around the downtown area. and yet the glowing sea as it says in the fallout wiki is the ground zero of a high yield nuclear detonation. but the Glowing Sea is in the far SE part of the map, to your right when standing on the vault platform. but in the pre war section the nuke exploded around the downtown area in front of you. So shouldn't The Glowing sea be at the center of the map?

I agree that it appeared to go off more in line with Diamond City.

As to the actual distance from vault 111 I could find that out by calculating how long the blast took to reach the vault as the elevator door descended.

A stronger wind speed would have vacuumed them out, but that did not occur. The people on the door experienced a breeze or they would have been sucked out of the elevator by the wind passing over the top of it.

The actual denotation of an Atomic bomb location then has to be determined. How the bomb was delivered may be the reason for the confusion. More confusion. Was it on a missile? A plane delivering would likely go off above in the air? Maybe it was delivered in a trailer?

The distance may well have been farther from either place. Which would make the glowing sea a mere smear where a bit more of the atomic matter occurred?

I agree that it appeared to go off more in line with Diamond City.

As to the actual distance from vault 111 I could find that out by calculating how long the blast took to reach the vault as the elevator door descended.

A stronger wind speed would have vacuumed them out, but that did not occur. The people on the door experienced a breeze or they would have been sucked out of the elevator by the wind passing over the top of it.

The actual denotation of an Atomic bomb location then has to be determined. How the bomb was delivered may be the reason for the confusion. More confusion. Was it on a missile? A plane delivering would likely go off above in the air? Maybe it was delivered in a trailer?

The distance may well have been farther from either place. Which would make the glowing sea a mere smear where a bit more of the atomic matter occurred?

It was delivered by a Chinese nuclear submarine, remember the ...erm, Yang tze? or whatever you meat that dude on the submarine. it was him that launched the nuke that destroyed the city.

From Vault 111 (pre-war) the nuclear blast seems to appear in close proximity to the crater in Canterbury, although post-war, there clearly isn't enough damage around that area to indicate a bomb hit anywhere near there (or any part of Boston city for that matter)

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/3/30/Ruined_Boston_BirdsEye.png/revision/latest?cb=20151229201144

In the concept art above for Fallout4, it's clearly visible that Canterbury was utterly decimated. The game never directly addresses the dissonance between what's depicted pre-war and what you encounter post-war... unless you subscribe to the whole 'Nora/Nate is actually a synth and their memories are just implanted' hypothesis.

From Vault 111 (pre-war) the nuclear blast seems to appear in close proximity to the crater in Canterbury, although post-war, there clearly isn't enough damage around that area to indicate a bomb hit anywhere near there (or any part of Boston city for that matter)

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/3/30/Ruined_Boston_BirdsEye.png/revision/latest?cb=20151229201144

In the concept art above for Fallout4, it's clearly visible that Canterbury was utterly decimated. The game never directly addresses the dissonance between what's depicted pre-war and what you encounter post-war... unless you subscribe to the whole 'Nora/Nate is actually a synth and their memories are just implanted' hypothesis.

Hm, nah not really, i'm thinking its just Bethesda being Bethesda, the nuke would of flattened the downtown area and diamond city would of never existed. witch would screw with there laid out story. its not like they could of oh idk changed a few things hear and there moves some quest locations so it would of made sense. maybe move diamond city to some other admittedly smaller ballpark but no..gotta meet those deadlines. :/ honestly it would of been cool if there was a massive radioactive crater in the center of the map. the further inward you went the larger, stronger and more mutated the wild life would of gotten. it would of made all of the sense, but NO just stick it in the far SE portion of the map. stupid :/ what a shame.

You're a spotter! :smile: I haven't had the pleasure of chatting with spotters in a long time. :sad: Do you and your friends do it for fun? :woot: You know while watching movies and stuff too. You know?

I drove my friends crazy at movies because I got good at spotting stuff like that.

You know, e.g., when you see where an actor has a vest on one second in the movie, but the next second they aren't wearing it and they should be?

You're a spotter! :smile: I haven't had the pleasure of chatting with spotters in a long time. :sad: Do you and your friends do it for fun? :woot: You know while watching movies and stuff too. You know?

I drove my friends crazy at movies because I got good at spotting stuff like that.

You know, e.g., when you see where an actor has a vest on one second in the movie, but the next second they aren't wearing it and they should be?

Oh, i know, i hate it when i notice things like that, it just bugs me. doesn't really ruin the overall experience, but, in the back your mind its just "OMG why isn't he wearing his vest in that one spot?, like, its just stupid. makes you wanna just smack the director "hey dumb ass! you notice that? why isnt he wearing his vest!?" D:< .. *Strangle* >8C lol no. XD but close. :smile:

Edited by Swordsguy2010

I wonder if it would be possible to redirect nate/nora so that they are facing the glowing sea instead via modding? Or just make boston a crater, who needs that place anyway?

Well it would be a bit of work but i'm sure it could be done, Putting the nuke blast in the glowing sea area i mean, the guy that points at the nuke when it goes off when it does, just..point him a little bit to the right so that he points to the new location. and since theres hills and trees in the way, add like a large dirt ...fwoof effect er whatever pushing dirt, rocks and ..ah maybe derooting a few trees and make them flip through the air a little as the shock wave hits the hillside.

It would help fix that little..thing Pagafyr up above said about the shock wave sucking out the survivors out of the elevator shaft as the shock wave passed by (and not to mention the full on blast of heat and radiation they would have suffered right in there various faces) they would have all died right then and there, or at least not last long with severe burns and radiation sickness rocks, dust in your eyeballs, like AARG you know? ..Blindness... Hiroshima man, Hiroshima ..No.... its not a happy story. smh nope. :/ you know if you think about it.

making the city area a crator would be quite a bit of extra work as cool and fitting as it would be. but then you'd have to relocate diamond city somewhere else, relocate quest locations, pff hell dialog, thats a whole other mess.

Edited by Swordsguy2010

Oh, i know, i hate it when i notice things like that, it just bugs me. doesn't really ruin the overall experience, but, in the back your mind its just "OMG why isn't he wearing his vest in that one spot?, like, its just stupid. makes you wanna just smack the director "hey dumb ass! you notice that? why isnt he wearing his vest!?" D:< .. *Strangle* >8C lol no. XD but close. :smile:

I used to get disturbed by that sort of discovery too. It got so I started looking for it. That's when I discovered a bunch of people chatting about it.

Instances caught by several viewers that even the makers of the shows didn't cut, made them a name as Spotters, and then the movie/tv industry started releasing BLOOPERS! at the end of the show. Great Fun!