Computer/Hardware for Skyrim

bottin

Hello everyone! :) My very first post to this forum, so I hope I am in the right place.

Although I have not played an RPG in about 25 yrs, recently someone gave me Skyrim Legendary Edition. It looked like something I'd like so I installed it through Steam - and just as quickly backed out when I learned my rig couldn't do the deed. - No problem, I was needing to get a new comp anyway and had been planning for it, I'll just copy down the required specs for SKYRIM and get a machine at that level or better. Even found a place that sells rebuilt computers for a song. :)

So I go in and the guy looks at me like I am nuts - telling me the (Skyrim - didn't bring the game with me) specs are ten yrs old and starts to rattle off "options". Options that quickly hit 1,500 and still climbed!

Did I mention I'm retarded at computer specs? Don't know what the original specs needed for the game translate into when speaking of the components of Today.

Could someone Please give me an idea of the most economical machine (components?) I need for this game? The other areas of my life, at my age, are small, so I don't need a muscle machine.

Thanks all - I'd appreciate any feedback I could get from y'all in the know. :)

Well, the problem is.... First, you just want it to run Skyrim. Then, you get introduced to the wonderful world of mods. :) Then, you need a meaner machine to run your modded skyrim. But, once you have the meaner machine, you add more mods... It's a vicious circle I tell ya. Beth is in cahoots with the hardware manufacturers to sell high-zoot computer parts......

Ok, not really. But, pretty close. :)

What you really want, is an intel i5, at 3.0ghz or better, and at least a GTX 1050 (more vram the better), or better, minimum 4gb RAM, 8 would be better. i7 processor would be better, but, see what they have on the used market at the shop, and maybe just stuff in more ram, and a better vid card.

I am still running Skyrim on an old AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black..... (around nine years old.) Runs fine. I even run Fallout 4 on the same machine, and it runs great too. Yes, I have upgraded my vid card over the years, currently running an Nvidia GTX 1060, 6gb ram. I don't do 'prettification' mods though. (high res textures and such) They tend to beat up the vid card.

To save money, go for an AMD 2600 (160 dollars) with an AMD RX570/580/590 with an AM4 B-450 motherboard and 2x8GB of DDR4 RAM of at least 1600MHz. That rig will have Skyrim for lunch and you'll have money left for another game...

To save money, go for an AMD 2600 (160 dollars) with an AMD RX570/580/590 with an AM4 B-450 motherboard and 2x8GB of DDR4 RAM of at least 1600MHz. That rig will have Skyrim for lunch and you'll have money left for another game...

Yes, the prices for intel processors are way to high at the moment. AMD is the way to go at the moment.

Yes, the prices for intel processors are way to high at the moment. AMD is the way to go at the moment.

If you go with new hardware, yes. But, get stuff a generation or three older, and it's dirt cheap.

I started my build buying used bits on Facebook and Craigslist. You can get into Skyrim and then slowly upgrade as you get into mods (if you so choose).

Bare minimum you can play Skyrim for $300 in used (decent) parts, if you know how to build and keep your eye on prices. Make sure you get a decent PSU and not a cheapy. 600W or more (EVGA has one that floats around $40 new). Last gen bits are super cheap and will allow you to keep building until you're ready to make the big leap to modern components.