Stalled settlement recruitment beacons - Issue with mod?

SteelPhoenix78

Hi...I know that there have been reports off & on ever since FO4 came out of people having issues with the settlement beacons not working properly. Specifically, that a beacon will only bring in one or two settlers, and then nothing. I've recently started seeing this myself on my most recent PC playthrough, though I didn't see it the first time I played through the game (both playthroughs have been modded). I have tried every suggested solution I've found (scrapping/storing settler recruitment beacons, switching the beacons on & off repeatedly, trying different settlements, and so on). Since I've never seen this issue before the last month or two, I'm wondering if one of the newer mods I've selected might be causing an issue ("We Are the Minutemen," for example).

Below is a shareable link to a Google Doc of all the mods I have for the game as of right now...If anyone sees anything on my list that they think might be at the root of this sudden (for me) problem, could you let me know so I can try removing it & seeing if that helps?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gvTKxt4FinvPG_YIi1WfcH0CFrGx59BvAByGDVYP7GY/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Edited by SteelPhoenix78

Gotcha...Here's my load order (I use LOOT to sort it):

Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
DLCworkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
ccbgsfo4001-pipboy(black).esl=1
ccbgsfo4002-pipboy(blue).esl=1
ccbgsfo4006-pipboy(chrome).esl=1
ccbgsfo4012-pipboy(red).esl=1
ccbgsfo4014-pipboy(white).esl=1
ccbgsfo4020-powerarmorskin(black).esl=1
ccbgsfo4025-powerarmorskin(chrome).esl=1
ccbgsfo4033-powerarmorskinwhite.esl=1
ccrzrfo4001-tunnelsnakes.esm=1
ccgcafo4002-factionws02acat.esl=1
ccgcafo4008-factionws08inst.esl=1
ccgcafo4009-factionws09mm.esl=1
ccgcafo4010-factionws10rr.esl=1
ccgcafo4011-factionws11vt.esl=1
ccgcafo4012-factionas01acat.esl=1
ccgcafo4017-factionas06inst.esl=1
ccgcafo4018-factionas07mm.esl=1
ccgcafo4019-factionas08nuk.esl=1
ccgcafo4020-factionas09rr.esl=1
ccgcafo4022-factionas11vt.esl=1
ccawnfo4001-brandedattire.esl=1
ccswkfo4002-pipnuka.esl=1
ccswkfo4003-pipquan.esl=1
ccbgsfo4062-pippat.esl=1
ccrzrfo4003-pipover.esl=1
ccfrsfo4002-antimaterielrifle.esl=1
cceejfo4002-nuka.esl=1
ccbgsfo4008-pipgrn.esl=1
ccbgsfo4015-pipyell.esl=1
ccbgsfo4009-piporan.esl=1
ccbgsfo4011-pippurp.esl=1
ccbgsfo4021-powerarmorskinblue.esl=1
ccbgsfo4027-powerarmorskingreen.esl=1
ccbgsfo4034-powerarmorskinyellow.esl=1
ccbgsfo4028-powerarmorskinorange.esl=1
ccbgsfo4031-powerarmorskinred.esl=1
ccbgsfo4030-powerarmorskinpurple.esl=1
ccbgsfo4032-powerarmorskintan.esl=1
ccbgsfo4029-powerarmorskinpink.esl=1
ccbgsfo4013-piptan.esl=1
ccbgsfo4010-pippnk.esl=1
ccbgsfo4063-papat.esl=1
DLCUltraHighResolution.esm=1
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp=1
WorkshopFramework.esm=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
Damage Threshold.esm=1
UncappedSettlementSurplus.esp=1
NukaWorldBallisticWeaveSupport.esp=1
Fizztop_Grille.esp=1
DeadlierDeathclaws.esp=1
SuperMutantOverhaul.esp=1
W.A.T.Minutemen.esp=1
ChinaLakeandHolorifle.esp=1
F4NVServiceRifleRedux.esp=1
BostonAirport_WorkshopFix.esp=1
TurretStands.esp=1
Faster Terminal Displays (20x).esp=1
FlaconOil_BA2_2K_Part1.esp=1
FlaconOil_BA2_2K_Part2.esp=1
FlaconOil_BA2_2K_Part3.esp=1
AWKCR - Color Swap Mod Slot Hider.esp=1
Synth Overhaul.esp=1
Synth Overhaul - No level requirements Patch.esp=1
IP4APA.esp=1
Home Plate Workbench Linked - Mechanists Lair Workbench.esp=1
NoVanillaRadiantDLCLocations.esp=1
ManufacturingExtended.esp=1
ManufacturingExtendedFH.esp=1
NoRandomMercer.esp=1
PA-Quick Animations.esp=1
Settler Sandbox Overhaul.esp=1
SkjAlert_All_DLC.esp=1
Artillery_Grenade.esp=1
DV-Durable Vertibirds.esp=1
DV-Armored Pilots.esp=1
DV-No Levelled Vertibirds.esp=1
Tougher Vertibirds.esp=1
Passthrough.esp=1
X01Light.esp=1
You Talk Too Much.esp=1
Guards.esp=1
DiamondCitySWAT.esp=1
Randomized DC Guard Outfits.esp=1
MMP4APA-blue.esp=1
BOS_X01_Paintjobs.esp=1
DLCWeaponsinCW.esp=1
Danse GTFO Power Armor.esp=1
BuildPaStation.esp=1
PortableRecycler.esp=1
MacCready's Wooden Soldier Toy is No Junk! (No sorting mod).esp=1
DansesHolotagsArentScrap.esp=1
ScrapThatMisc.esp=1
RaiderOverhaul.esp=1
X-111 is actually better rad-x.esp=1
RemoteExplosives.esp=1
BountifulBoards.esp=1
P220.esp=1
DP_CaravanShotgun.esp=1
ConvenientCharismaBobblehead.esp=1
PipeGun45Auto.esp=1
RU556.esp=1
RU556AWKCR.esp=1
10mmSMG.esp=1
3dscopes.esp=1
3dscopes-farharbor.esp=1
3dscopes-nukaworld.esp=1
3dscopes-servicerifle.esp=1
3dscopes-ccamr.esp=1
GreaseGunSMG.esp=1
AS_Institute_Workstations.esp=1
BuyPaInstitute.esp=1
AS_CraftableInstituteStations.esp=1
Basic Ammo Crafting.esp=1
DeadlyRadstorms_Climate_15.esp=1
DeadlyRadstorms_Damage_25.esp=1

If there's one mod that could be at the heart of the problem, it's the Settler Sandbox Overhaul, as it's the only mod that tinkers with settler nehaviour. Haven't used that mod (that I know of) so, it's 99% guesswork. There's one redundant esp: the one unlocking the Boston Airport WorkShop. Turning that WorkShop into a fully functioning one can be done through console. Open the cconsole when standing in front of the WorkShop and left-click the WorkShop s that its ref. I.D. shows. Then type the following into the console addkeyword 00246f85. Hit enter, close the console and you're set. This same code can be used for the Mechanist's Lair.

Cool, thanks! I'll try removing the Settler Sandbox mod next time I play & see if that changes anything. Thanks for the tip about the Airport & Mechanist workbenches as well! I'll definitely get rid of the Airport workbench mod, but I actually use the Mechanist/Home Plate workbench mod mainly for a secondary feature - it links the Home Plate workbench to Hangman's Alley, so you can effectively have Home Plate linked to your supply line network. Know of any other ways to accomplish that? Also, does my load order look alright? Thanks again!

Well, I deleted Settler Sandbox Overhaul, but it didn't seem to help...I got one settler within a minute or two of powering up the beacon, but then nothing for the several in-game hours it took to patrol around Lexington a bit & fast travel back to Tenpines Bluff and then to Sanctuary. I then tried removing Workshop Framework (https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.google.com/url?q%3Dhttps://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/35004%26amp;sa%3DD%26amp;ust%3D1543457421363000&sa=D&ust=1543457421398000&usg=AFQjCNHuXVM51IY253UwKy683ta8A_HPiQ), since its most recent change log talks about supposedly fixing a bug it had created with Settler recruitment, but so far, still nothing. ð

I have had many different character saves over the years and some get stuck either with enemy/area spawns or settler recruitment spawns and sometimes both.

This bug is in the game and it infects some character saves but not others.

The amount of settlers you get depends on your charisma. Adding clothing like hats & sunglasses with the perk along with modded items with the perk can jump start the recruitment again. You will need charisma over 10. On some character saves I have to advance the main quest to start it up again. This is a pain to me since I don't like to do the main quests at all.

There are lots of game bugs like this and they set the type of playthrough you will get with a certain character save. Even CTDs can be in a save but not in your game.

Settlement mods can mess things up a bit but removing them from the game may not affect the your current save. You will have to test with another character save or start a new character to test the effect of removing a mod.

I do this all the time. It is one of the reasons I have characters with names like Testy Test.

Later

I have had many different character saves over the years and some get stuck either with enemy/area spawns or settler recruitment spawns and sometimes both.

This bug is in the game and it infects some character saves but not others.

The amount of settlers you get depends on your charisma. Adding clothing like hats & sunglasses with the perk along with modded items with the perk can jump start the recruitment again. You will need charisma over 10. On some character saves I have to advance the main quest to start it up again. This is a pain to me since I don't like to do the main quests at all.

There are lots of game bugs like this and they set the type of playthrough you will get with a certain character save. Even CTDs can be in a save but not in your game.

Settlement mods can mess things up a bit but removing them from the game may not affect the your current save. You will have to test with another character save or start a new character to test the effect of removing a mod.

I do this all the time. It is one of the reasons I have characters with names like Testy Test.

Later

Gotcha...Thanks for the tips!