PC Shutting down in Skyrim SE

jthrongard

This problem started after I put together a new build with the following specs (temps are currently in idle):

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 29 °C
14nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI-CF (AM4) 27 °C
Graphics
DELL E2011H (1600x900@60Hz)
DELL E2011H (1600x900@60Hz)
LG ULTRAWIDE (2560x1080@75Hz)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (Unknown) 44 °C
Storage
167GB INTEL SSDSC2BW180A4 (SATA (SSD)) 22 °C
2794GB Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 (SATA ) 26 °C
476GB SanDisk SDSSDH3512G (SATA (SSD)) 22 °C
2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166 (SATA ) 21 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB (Unknown (SSD))
465GB Western Digital WD 5000BEV External USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 22 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AL
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Corsair AX860i

What is happening is during an extended period of playing a heavily modded version of Skyrim SE with lots of 4k/2k textures and HIGH settings in Bethini, the system completely crashes - screens go black, a grinding sound comes through speakers (like a short clip looping really quick), fans turn off and MB goes dark (RGB leds on RAM stay lit) - power/reset buttons do nothing - PSU power must be unplugged to shut all the way down. Then when power is plugged back in and attempt to startup, the MB won't POST. I then walk away from it for about 30 minutes and then boot happens normally to Win. No errors, nothing.

Now that sounds like a heat issue - going into Protect Mode, right? But I'm watching my temps in game with both HW monitor and Ryzen Master (supposedly more accurate for the CPU) and I'm not seeing anything to worry about. GPU goes up to about 76 C on spikes but averages around 70 C. CPU spikes at 60 C and averages 54 C. I also have a front-mounted CPU temp monitor (the sensor is tucked into the heat sink) and checking it upon the crash shows CPU temps at 45 to 50 C.

My cooling is air based with 1 200mm top exhaust, 1 120mm rear exhaust, 3 120mm intakes. The GPU has 2 fans, the CPU has the stock Wraithcooler and the PSU has a 120mm fan inside.

I've also seen that this problem happens with underpowered/weak PSU's - but this is a brand new 860 W Corsair PSU. It should be fine right?

Lastly, this issues is only happening since I replaced the CPU, MB and RAM. The PSU was on the previous build as well and had no issues. The only gaming changes I've made is moving from Medium to High settings and adding Skyland Textures (balanced 1k/2k mix).

I have no idea where to start to diagnose this beyond what I've done. It just seems to me that I might not have my voltage setup right or something in BIOS. It could also (maybe) be my wall power. I'm in an older home (1975) on a circuit that's gotten overloaded before and burned out a plug along it (due to my old PC, a full ent. system with XBOX One on constant AND a large space heater). Could my system be asking for more power than my wall outlet can give?

Post what your power supply is, and the wattage, you have an awful lot of hardware in that system

You've got 3 Monitors hooked to it, through 1 8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (Unknown) 44 °C graphic card that NEEDS at least a 500w power supply

6 Hard drives/SSD Drives

Your power supply better be waaaaaay more than 500w, I would say at the very least you should have an 850w power supply,

Also, according to AMD, makers of the Radeon card, 85c (185 F) is within the operating threshold for the graphics card, but 185 F inside a case is VERY HOT for the rest of the system

So, if you have a low PSU, AND a Graphics card with 3 monitors hooked to it, that can run up to 185 F, you're baking your system from the inside out.

Post what your power supply is, and the wattage, you have an awful lot of hardware in that system

You've got 3 Monitors hooked to it, through 1 8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (Unknown) 44 °C graphic card that NEEDS at least a 500w power supply

6 Hard drives/SSD Drives

Your power supply better be waaaaaay more than 500w, I would say at the very least you should have an 850w power supply,

Also, according to AMD, makers of the Radeon card, 85c (185 F) is within the operating threshold for the graphics card, but 185 F inside a case is VERY HOT for the rest of the system

So, if you have a low PSU, AND a Graphics card with 3 monitors hooked to it, that can run up to 185 F, you're baking your system from the inside out.

You might have missed it but I said the PSU is a ax860i - so 860w & GPU isn't going above 75C.

Hhhmmm....... Ok, then download something like Furmark, or Prime95, install it, and use it to beat the crap out of your hardware. Watch temps, and see what happens.

I let Furmark run for 6 minutes - at minute 3.5 it flat-lined at 75C and never went over it for the rest of the test.

What is happening is during an extended period of playing a heavily modded version of Skyrim SE with lots of 4k/2k textures and HIGH settings in Bethini, the system completely crashes - screens go black, a grinding sound comes through speakers (like a short clip looping really quick), fans turn off and MB goes dark (RGB leds on RAM stay lit) - power/reset buttons do nothing - PSU power must be unplugged to shut all the way down. Then when power is plugged back in and attempt to startup, the MB won't POST. I then walk away from it for about 30 minutes and then boot happens normally to Win. No errors, nothing.

Now that sounds like a heat issue - going into Protect Mode, right? But I'm watching my temps in game with both HW monitor and Ryzen Master (supposedly more accurate for the CPU) and I'm not seeing anything to worry about. GPU goes up to about 76 C on spikes but averages around 70 C. CPU spikes at 60 C and averages 54 C. I also have a front-mounted CPU temp monitor (the sensor is tucked into the heat sink) and checking it upon the crash shows CPU temps at 45 to 50 C.

My cooling is air based with 1 200mm top exhaust, 1 120mm rear exhaust, 3 120mm intakes. The GPU has 2 fans, the CPU has the stock Wraithcooler and the PSU has a 120mm fan inside.

I've also seen that this problem happens with underpowered/weak PSU's - but this is a brand new 860 W Corsair PSU. It should be fine right?

Lastly, this issues is only happening since I replaced the CPU, MB and RAM. The PSU was on the previous build as well and had no issues. The only gaming changes I've made is moving from Medium to High settings and adding Skyland Textures (balanced 1k/2k mix).

I have no idea where to start to diagnose this beyond what I've done. It just seems to me that I might not have my voltage setup right or something in BIOS. It could also (maybe) be my wall power. I'm in an older home (1975) on a circuit that's gotten overloaded before and burned out a plug along it (due to my old PC, a full ent. system with XBOX One on constant AND a large space heater). Could my system be asking for more power than my wall outlet can give?

I'm wondering if the heat from the Graphics card is being spread to the MB through the slot, and overheating the components

It sounds like your system is dangerously overheating and shutting down because of overheating.

I'm thinking if you had no problems BEFORE you went to Hi-Res Textures and HIGH settings in Beth.ini, you're overtaxing your system, and probably the tests where you let it run, without any input aren't going to tax your system as hard as it's being taxed by the actual game.

The only gaming changes I've made is moving from Medium to High settings and adding Skyland Textures (balanced 1k/2k mix).

How much of a pain would it be to go back to Medium Settings to see if your system still crashes etc if you play like it does when you changed to HIGH settings?

Hhhmmm....... Ok, then download something like Furmark, or Prime95, install it, and use it to beat the crap out of your hardware. Watch temps, and see what happens.

I let Furmark run for 6 minutes - at minute 3.5 it flat-lined at 75C and never went over it for the rest of the test.

I think furmark will beat up the CPU as well, if I am mistaken there, run prime95 at the same time.

I'm wondering if the heat from the Graphics card is being spread to the MB through the slot, and overheating the components

It sounds like your system is dangerously overheating and shutting down because of overheating.

I'm thinking if you had no problems BEFORE you went to Hi-Res Textures and HIGH settings in Beth.ini, you're overtaxing your system, and probably the tests where you let it run, without any input aren't going to tax your system as hard as it's being taxed by the actual game.

The only gaming changes I've made is moving from Medium to High settings and adding Skyland Textures (balanced 1k/2k mix).

How much of a pain would it be to go back to Medium Settings to see if your system still crashes etc if you play like it does when you changed to HIGH settings?

He also changed some hardware..... It wouldn't be the first time I saw a borderline board make it thru qa, only to fail when put under stress....... I've even seen them with capacitors that weren't completely soldered in......