PC Shutting down in Skyrim SE

jthrongard

So update on today. I've been playing Skyrim without downgrading anything (with a break here and there) for about 6 hours. There has been no crash/shutdown. Maybe the system needed to break itself in?

As for heat transfer from GPU to MB. The temps for the GPU (after 6 hours) have never exceeded 75C. MB temps have never gone above 60C (on one meter - next meter location has a high temp of 42C).

I'm really leaning toward it being a voltage problem either from my (up until now) reliable PSU OR a power draw from my outlet that can't be handled.

I'm welcome to any other theories or testing maneuvers.

So update on today. I've been playing Skyrim without downgrading anything (with a break here and there) for about 6 hours. There has been no crash/shutdown. Maybe the system needed to break itself in?

As for heat transfer from GPU to MB. The temps for the GPU (after 6 hours) have never exceeded 75C. MB temps have never gone above 60C (on one meter - next meter location has a high temp of 42C).

I'm really leaning toward it being a voltage problem either from my (up until now) reliable PSU OR a power draw from my outlet that can't be handled.

I'm welcome to any other theories or testing maneuvers.

Well, it's possbile you're not getting a stable voltage through that outlet, you should be running through a UPS anyway, but who knows, you could be getting 120, then 90, then 100 130 etc.

Yeah I had another day of using Skyrim heavily for several hours without issue. I'm thinking the whole thing was a fluke or a surge of some sort (maybe my surge protector sucks?)

Thanks for all the help guys. I never like coming away without a definite solution for anyone that has the same issue in the future but maybe this will help someone.

One last note, I've decided to drop 2 HDDs just in case - just need to move my OS to do it, but that might help my PSU.

Yeah I had another day of using Skyrim heavily for several hours without issue. I'm thinking the whole thing was a fluke or a surge of some sort (maybe my surge protector sucks?)

Thanks for all the help guys. I never like coming away without a definite solution for anyone that has the same issue in the future but maybe this will help someone.

One last note, I've decided to drop 2 HDDs just in case - just need to move my OS to do it, but that might help my PSU.

Well, so far so good.

I would also suggest a Line Conditioner/UPS (If you don't already have one) to go between your computer and the outlet.

The line conditioner will keep the voltage within a certain -+ percentage and deliver a stable voltage

Just in case the outlet WAS surging the other day, that way you won't get any surprises

Hope everything works out