Survey: Which Version of SSE Are You Using and Why?

Ewookie1

Which Version of Skyrim SE are you using and why?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What version are you using

• Earlier version than that.
    • Newer Version (to cover future updates)
  2. 2. Are you, or were you reluctant to upgrade?

3. 3. Why are you using your current choice of version?

• Like to keep up to date.
    • Didn't know I had a choice.
    • Waiting for updates of favorite mods to catch up with the latest update of Skyrim SE.
    • Don't want to go through the hassle of updating all my mods just to have them become obsolete with the next SSE update.

I just wanted to put this out there, here on Nexus, one of the MOST respected and well know Skyrim modding sites, to get a fairly comprehensive estimate of which version of Skyrim SE people are using?

I was also hoping to get an idea of why people that are using older versions are reluctant to upgrade.

So, here are the questions:

1) What version of Skyrim SE are you using?

2) Why have you chosen that version?

3) Are you, or were you reluctant to upgrade? (Yes or No)

4) Why are/were you reluctant to upgrade?

*Note: I tried to create a "Topic Poll" using the "Manage Topic Poll" link to the right of the page as I was creating this topic. We'll see if it worked.

Note: Looks like it's working. It is brief, so if you'd like to leave additional comments, please feel free.

If you wish to add notes, please feel free. All I ask is that we keep the comments respectful and within the bounds of the Nexus Forums Terms of Use Policy.

Thank you all for participating.

Edited by Ewookie1

Okay, hear are some of my answers and comments.

1) What version of Skyrim SE are you using?

a) 1.5.53

2) Why have you chosen that version?

a) SKSE64 has been updated to that version and 'most' of the mods that I just can't live without (Like SkyUI) have also been updated too.

3) Are you, or were you reluctant to upgrade? (Yes or No)

a) Yes

4) Why are/were you reluctant to upgrade?

a) I was, and 'am' reluctant if it comes up again, because of the sever lag between a Skyrim SE update, and the update of SKSE64 and all the mods that depend on SKSE64. And, I have 'several' SKSE64' dependent mods.

Now, I've read some posts that my concerns and those of other's that have been reluctant to update, are considered irrational and "Ideological". It kind of hurt that those comments were coming from one of my 'favorite' mod authors too.

In my case, my real reluctance with updating, is very simply a matter of practicality. There is a LOT of work in going through a mod list and updating mods that wind up broken because of these updates. Most of them are easy enough to find, because they are related to SKSE64. Some are not quite so easy because, although they don't rely on SKSE64, they do have other scripts that address the specific game version (for reasons I can't fathom, but I'm not a programmer).

One brief rant:

I'd just like to say that, I hope Bethesda remembers how much work mod authors put into their work, and that frequent updates can often break their mods. SKSE64 and all the mods that rely on it is the prime example. It frustrates then and annoys them when their users start clamoring for them to hurry up and update their mods to keep up. (That's why so many people refuse to update as frequently as the main game does.)

To users that don't want to update, don't expect mod authors to keep a lot of old versions around, or to support old versions with they are trying to keep up with the updated versions. If your not going to update, or you think you might revert to a previous version, "keep" backups of the files you need for those older versions. Some authors will maintain and support those older versions (within reason), but don't expect all of them too.

Most of these authors are donating their own personal time and effort to create and maintain these mods. There not doing this in the hopes of getting rich. Donations might be appreciated, but usually not expected. Especially here on the Nexus. So, try to respect their efforts and be grateful rather that "demanding". Either that, or make your own mods. (I'm going to give it a try. I've finally made a couple very simple and little ones that I 'may' post, just to see if anyone might like them. We'll see.)

Okay, enough of that.

But, I HAD to give a shout out to ALL those great and creative mod authors out there that have continued to make Skyrim a vibrant, 'living' entity. THANK YOU ALL!!!

I've come to love Skyrim since I finally discovered it four or five years ago. A large part of what I love about Skyrim, is it's flexibility through mods. It's like being able to create my own game, only without having to have the talent and skill required to write the code, etc... I really hope to see this game continue and prosper.

So, mod authors... THANK YOU!!!!

And, game players and mod users, keep having fun and, PLEASE respect the effort these Authors put into their works of art!

Thanks all

Happy gaming out there, and I apologize for my rant.

Edited by Ewookie1

Now, I've read some posts that my concerns and those of other's that have been reluctant to update, are considered irrational and "Ideological". It kind of hurt that those comments were coming from one of my 'favorite' mod authors too.

This has as much to do with how you present yourself in the posts you're referring to as it does anything else. Don't phrase things in ways that come across as stubborn ideology and you won't get called out for that sort of thing.

One brief rant:

I'd just like to say that, I hope Bethesda remembers how much work mod authors put into their work, and that frequent updates can often break their mods.

They do, but part of what it means to be a mod author is also to keep up on the work you put forth. It's a responsibility that belong solely to the mod author, not to Bethesda. The company cannot be expected to hold back updates because some random mod author put something out there that's susceptible to updates and then abandons it in that condition.

Bethesda doesn't break mods. Lazy mod authors do by not keeping them up to date.

None. This isn't the Christmas or Fallout 76 forum, so your sarcasm isn't even close to being on point :P

It isn't the job of the mod author to update their mod.

Actually, yes, it is. Nobody else is going to do it for them. Especially not Bethesda.

Imagine Photoshop/ Firefox/ ... would break each time Microsoft updates Windows NT. That's why you have abstraction in software development. For example, while the WinAPI gains regularly new functionality, it doesn't break existing software. If our company would break their API with each update, out customers would rightfully flee. But some Bethesda product consumers appear to suffer from a collective stockholm syndrome, willingly defending them and coming back to their master no matter how badly he mistreats them.

Bethesda and their missing backwards compatibility show their utter incompetence as developers. I am using both v1.42 and 1.5.53 freed from steam drm.

Imagine if you had any right to complain since you pirated the game and all.

If only this mythical "stop the updates" setting actually existed.

Unlike Origin or GoG Galaxy, Steam has no such setting.