Survey: Which Version of SSE Are You Using and Why?

Ewookie1

Which Version of Skyrim SE are you using and why?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What version are you using

• Earlier version than that.
    • Newer Version (to cover future updates)
  2. 2. Are you, or were you reluctant to upgrade?

3. 3. Why are you using your current choice of version?

• Like to keep up to date.
    • Didn't know I had a choice.
    • Waiting for updates of favorite mods to catch up with the latest update of Skyrim SE.
    • Don't want to go through the hassle of updating all my mods just to have them become obsolete with the next SSE update.

You can set up Steam to not update Skyrim Special Edition.

Select "Only Update This Game When I Launch It" - and never launch it with the launcher - but SKSE instead.

Maybe I should have been more specific and not said Steam but Skyrim Special Edition.

As I said, that does nothing. The EXE will still call back to the Steam client and initiate the update at that point because it satisfies the "when I launch it" condition.

If only this mythical "stop the updates" setting actually existed.

Unlike Origin or GoG Galaxy, Steam has no such setting.

It's said if you change updates setting from, "always keep game updated" to "update only when game is launched" and you start game with SKSE64, game won't update. It's never worked that way for me either. It still updates from SKSE64, but I can kill the update.

add: Oops, didn't notice 2nd page.

Unfortunately trying to kill the update doesn't help either because the Steam client will have locked you in to needing it.

Unfortunately trying to kill the update doesn't help either because the Steam client will have locked you in to needing it.

I haven't tried this yet: Set game to only update when launched. When opening Steam -go to offline mode. NOW launch Skyrim. Will this work?

When I launch SSE from SKSE64 I get a black box that wants to update the game, I close it out, relaunch with SKSE64 & can play SSE in whatever version I had before latest update. For me that's 1.5.53.08. It didn't work this way for me in the past though. Used to be that when SKSE64 was launched after a CC update, the update was forced on me. I have no idea why this is working this way, it just is. One other oddity is that if I go to steam & the game updates tab, it's locked & I can't change it.

Maybe also try Steam>Settings>Downloads, Uncheck anything that has to do with updates. I always play off line too, but the times I do go online nothing auto updates unless I launch it.

On topic.. When I start reading up on a skse dependent mod after an update and read fixed 'this' and some other minor things it's like "ooooh shiny"

I know what was happening now but don't know how or why. My game was playing fine, everything seemed normal, steam would do that little short update if it wasn't running when I started my game from SKSE64, everything normal...except when latest CC update came, it wasn't forced on me.
This was because steam suddenly didn't recognize that I had the game installed, which grayed out all in the update tab, but like I said, when I would start the game it would do that little steam update thing & could play as usual. So I had to install the game to get the latest CC updates, and at the start of the install it then recognized that I already had the game files & basically did what would normally amount to verify game files. Any light anyone can shed on this would be appreciated.
I wish I knew how this came about b/c it's a great way of getting around these CC updates until your ready for them!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit surprised that openly admitting you pirated the game doesnt result in a ban from nexus

Oh? I just thought he meant he had bought it on good ol' games .com, when he said he did not have Steam or Steam DRM on the game, or perhaps directly from Bethesda.

Edited by Zamisay

Skyrim (LE and SSE) as well as Fallout 4 are only available through Steam. There is no other legitimate means of acquiring the game. Even physical copies are just disks with Steam downloaders on them. So when someone says they have a "non-Steam" copy of the game it's 99.99% certain that they're admitting to being a pirate.