Gees, f4se NOT working yet again.

Frogzilla82

I believe you need to download and install the def_ui.dll from the DEF Mods discord server (https://discord.gg/Vd5D6vv) as well (it's under beta_files). However, I haven't tried that myself yet as I am still holding off installing the newest update.

ty for the info and ya i was dumb to go with the update instead of waiting for all the updates

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth. It happened to me at least twice as well. Whenever I start Fallout 4 without starting Steam first.....I then dig my nails into the table while I watch helplessly as the newest update just throws all my F4SE-Mods out of the window...... ;)

@DiodeLadder. The graphic glitches I got at the time were entirely different, I'm afraid. For me they happened when I was running around and suddenly everything within a certain distance from me would turn blue, then red, green, then blue again. It was as if my character was on LSD.

Your bug is one of several that would suddenly happen to people after Fallout 4 updates (although it was mostly pre CC). I have seen it being reported elsewhere and I think it was linked to MipMaps. I believe the recommendation was to download Bilago's Configuration Launcher: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102/? and to set the MipMaps to 1. Other players reported that using optimized textures have helped them with this bug.

Thank you for the tip on this one! I looked around and found an explanation here :

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3373300-fallout-4-configuration-tool-by-bilago/page-77&do=findComment&comment=30561890

I've edited the .ini manually, and it did seem to have fixed this issue for me. The sad thing is, though, it appears what Bethesda had tried to do with the MipMap Skipping setting did not help the game performance at all, because turning that off actually helps the game to run more consistent on my system (or so appears because there's no more popping-in of objects). What puzzles me even more is.... why the heck was it loading the wrong textures before? As you can see, those are fragments of wrong textures in my screenshots, not just random pixelation. Now, that's worthy of actually fixing the .exe for, lol.

Thats what happens when you use a pirated version of the game.

Rather big assumption you are making here, or is it trolling already?

I don't know about MarkusTay, but I actually keep a Steam-Backup of my 1.9.4-installation files just in case. And after the CC-update marathon started, rollback files to get any version back to 1.9.4 were offered everywhere as well (note that they were just rollback files (exe's, and esm and a few ba2's), not a cracked full version and would only work on a proper Steam install).

MarkusTay might have made a mistake by trying to just run an old executable with a newer install without reversing all the other files changed by the newer updates as well, causing him to get that weird crashing hybrid version he is describing. That doesn't automatically make him a game pirate however.

@MartinTay. The first update after 1.9.4 changed more than just Fallout4.exe, other files affected were Fallout4.esm, Fallout4-Interface.ba2, Fallout4-Materials.ba2, Fallout4-Meshes.ba2, and Fallout4-Startup.ba2. So just changing the executable might make your game less stable.

And I am not sure I understood you correctly. You first were fully updated and the game ran fine for two days, but then suddenly crashed, after which you tried the old executable and you keep crashing after exactly 150 seconds (not mater where you are/go?). That sounds more like a corrupt safe-game, or a mod clash to me.

No - my game 'broke' after the update (I was testing something concerning a new set of mods I had, and didn't realize Steam was installing the update in the background). After a day or two of frustration I finally found the info I needed and rolled-back my .exe (ONLY my exe, so your assumption about me not doing that right was correct). My game ran great for two days - better than ever before, because those particular mods I was trying to troubleshoot forced me to resolve a bunch of other issues ('red flags') that I was ignoring.

But then I started getting the 'crash every 150 seconds' bug, and with a little research on Steam's own forums, I found that Steam REALLY takes exception to people trying to run their game with an old exe. If you NEVER go online (with Steam - playing in 'offline mode'), you wouldn't have a problem. Of course, that means NEVER playing any of your other Steam games again. because Steam will only LET YOU play in 'offline mode' if it doesn't know there is a newer version. if it knows, it will force you to update. That's what happened to me. It basically held a gun to my head. So NO, I didn't pirate anything - I despise that sort of thing - but Steam's algorithm probably treat's any 'hacked executable' in that same way (in other words, it knows you aren't using the right one, regardless of it you paid for the game or not). and NO, thats is NOT a conspiracy theory - I read it on Steam's own forums.

So after another day or so I saw that F4SE had updated, along with some of the mods that used it, so I let my game update to the new version and then installed the latest versions of F4SE and those mods. I had to disable a few others because they hadn't been updated. But then my game wouldn't save any data from a mod that was acquired from anywhere but Bethesda,net. That's the problem I have been having, and although my constant tweaking has netted me mixed results, I am slowing getting to a solution through process of elimination. I did find two bad files when my game verified (which were fixed), so that was probably the thing you mentioned with me rolling-back my game incorrectly. At this point my game runs silky-smooth, so long as I start it through Steam. Any other method of starting the game causes various problems.

Thank you - and anyone else - who has taken the time to respond to me and take this problem seriously. WAY more people aren't able to play then most of you realize - I see posts about it on all different sites, with new ones everyday. Now extrapolate that outward to how many people have not tried to play since its been updated? There are probably tens of thousands of people who just don't know their game doesn't work anymore, or tried it, and when it didn't work they just said "oh well" and moved onto something else (because most people are long past the point of having to 'fix' a Bethesda game every time they want to get back into it).

I think the only reason why I haven't moved on to another game is because I refuse to let something beat me. At least, computer-related problems, anyway.

Okay, I got some more :

34555-1544846944-1526475353.png

34555-1544846966-130243343.png

34555-1544846984-995558594.png34555-1544847003-849013072.png

34555-1544847018-1937389933.png

The first 3 shows the surface of smaller rocks to be blue, and the last 2 shows the road texture to be replaced with... I don't know what that is, lol. This is with the setting for turning off the MipMap Skipping completely (-1), so the way FO4 loads the textures seems to be screwed for me. I have a RX580 with 8GB VRAM, and using the Texture Optimization Project from the start, so I don't think the size of texture is the problem here.

I think what caused the issue this time was the rain - probably it was calling up the wet surface textures and things went wrong somewhere, and then the glitched stuff stuck.

This isn't an easily reproducible problem, though - it just happens if I'm unlucky. I guess I'll keep taking screenshots and post the circumstances when the issue occurred. Maybe eventually I'll have enough info for someone to tell me what's going on here.

Backtracking a little -

About the texture glitch on the door I've mentioned in the earlier post, I've said the texture is from the institute assets, but now I think about it, that is from the capsule home asset - which was in the area I've visited earlier in game. So, that's not random, but rather what was cached before was getting pulled into the wrong object at later time.

Just adding in a detail, in case someone who is capable of analyzing such a problem is reading.

I am sorry your problems continue. I am at a loss here. The only other thing, other than just plain bad luck with this newest update, I can think of is heating issues of your graphic card. Are you by any chance from the Southern Hemisphere?

Have you tried renaming all your ini-files and then using the launcher and setting it to lower than normal settings? That's not really a solution but might carry you over until the next update.

Maybe someone with more knowledge comes along.

I am sorry your problems continue. I am at a loss here. The only other thing, other than just plain bad luck with this newest update, I can think of is heating issues of your graphic card. Are you by any chance from the Southern Hemisphere?

Have you tried renaming all your ini-files and then using the launcher and setting it to lower than normal settings? That's not really a solution but might carry you over until the next update.

Maybe someone with more knowledge comes along.

Thanks aufisch!

I live in Paris, France - it's pretty cold here, lol. I think the issue is in the way cached textures are compressed/decompressed, though. I don't know.

For me, this issue for the time being don't bother me much, because I am mostly testing my own mod at the moment - start FO4 for an hour or so, then back to CK for me.

In the meantime, I'll just pop in here to post about whatever issues I saw.

I don't want to go into this in yet another thread, but since you are running F4SE (or, at least, trying to), I may have a methodology you can follow, because this is how I fixed my game.

F4SE keeps a record of what its trying to do in logs. You can find these in your Documents\My Games\Fallout4\F4SE folder. By studying these, I saw that it was unsuccessfully trying to access a file I did not have. I did find the file in the wrong place, and even had to rename it (there was an 'example' file in the mod itself), and that worked. We obviously don't have the same system, configuration, or same mods, but I'd start there, by looking at those logs. I probably have others that are missing as well (I have to think this is all because of how some of us update F4SE - the difference between 'merge' and 'replace', I guess, since my F4SE Plugin folder was completely empty), and I'll be checking that out today (its not like the number of mods dependent upon F4SE is huge - I just have to check each of those mods and see if there were Plugins I am missing).