Vortex acting really slow recently

TheLoneWolf449

I disabled every extension except "Mod Dependency Manager"
Then I monitored the CPU usage while changing conflict rules (400 approximately)
When I clicked "Save" the CPU usage of vortex went from 8-10% to 32%
Then it froze for over 20 seconds (the number of rules seems to affect this time)
Halfway trough the conflict screen disappears and the mod list is still blurred
After that was finished the CPU usage went to 80% until it the circle next to "MODS" on the right disappeared

N.B. When I mentioned "sorting" in my previous post, I meant the filtering and sorting on the mods tab and not the plugins tab

Yeah, I would like to get this resolved. Is there anything we can do to provide more data for investigating this issue? Is it something you will look into soon? Or will it be on the backlog?

I have been able to partially mitigate the impact of the issue by disabling the deploy after every new mod is added. This helps out quite a bit.

Also adding my name to the list of user's suffering from this. At first it was happening after game exit and deployment. Now it seems to be happening on anything - conflict resolution, removing mods, disabling, installing. Usually about a 30 second wait. On SSD with admin privileges. Happy to provide any info I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Also want to add that the general UI experience is getting slower and slower the more mods I install. Sometimes just simple actions (no installing or deploying or downloading). Just changing tabs or something will cause Vortex to freeze for a few seconds. Changing the attributes of mods (like source, link, description) is very slow because there's always lag when I click on the next mod.

Scrolling through the mod list is always laggy and slow.

When deploying mods, any other action becomes unbearably slow.

Edited by MeTheMightOne

removing a cyclic rule, clicking every line makes vortex go unresponsive for 30-60 seconds. sometimes this is the case when closing a rule window for a mod.
EDIT well 0.17.1 with the new rule window seems to fix all these problems, well done tannin!

no downloads present, auto deploy shut off.

quite massive load order. 700 mods, 350 plugins. things have been getting gradually worse the more s*** i throw in there. there must be around 500 mod order rules, way fewer plugin order rules.

tbh i'm starting weighing pros and cons of redoing the entire fkn thing in mo2, this slowdown is becoming unbearable. apart from this i am totally pro vortex, but installing a few mods takes at least ten times too much time as it is. will try 0.17.1 now and see if i see improvements.
EDIT I did! :)

removing a cyclic rule, clicking every line makes vortex go unresponsive for 30-60 seconds. sometimes this is the case when closing a rule window for a mod.

quite massive load order. 700 mods, 350 plugins. things have been getting gradually worse the more s*** i throw in there. there must be around 500 mod order rules, way fewer plugin order rules.

tbh i'm starting weighing pros and cons of redoing the entire fkn thing in mo2, this slowdown is becoming unbearable. apart from this i am totally pro vortex, but installing a few mods takes at least ten times too much time as it is. will try 0.17.1 now and see if i see improvements.

Hang on, 700 mods, 370 PLUGINS, are you MERGING these plugins at all with a Bashed Patch, or MergeTool, or MatorSmash or Xedit?

Because you can't just install 700 mods and expect them all to work. (I'm assuming you're talking about a Bethesda game), they can only handle 255 MAX

There's a limit on how many mods a game can handle

Also, I agree with 1ae0bfb8, you shouldn't need 500+ Sorting Rules, that right there is where a lot of your slowdown is.

Hang on, 700 mods, 370 PLUGINS, are you MERGING these plugins at all with a Bashed Patch, or MergeTool, or MatorSmash or Xedit?

Because you can't just install 700 mods and expect them all to work. (I'm assuming you're talking about a Bethesda game), they can only handle 255 MAX

Also, I agree with 1ae0bfb8, you shouldn't need 500+ Sorting Rules, that right there is where a lot of your slowdown is.

about 150 are ESL plugins - the game runs fine in the limited testing i'm doing while installing. no merges necessary yet.

but every time i get an overwrite conflict vortex tells me to put a sorting rule in place? is it not the point to handle conflict in this way? how else?

about 150 are ESL plugins - the game runs fine in the limited testing i'm doing while installing. no merges necessary yet.

but every time i get an overwrite conflict vortex tells me to put a sorting rule in place? is it not the point to handle conflict in this way? how else?

Yes, you need a sorting rule, such as Mod B LOAD AFTER Mod A.

If you set up a rule like that, you only need that ONE rule, you don't need to make another rule that says Mod A LOAD BEFORE Mod B

EXAMPLE:

Vortex-Sort-2.jpg